Why am I so much more accurate with a .22 pistol than a centerfire?

I am trying to understand why I am consistently more accurate shooting my .22's offhand as opposed to my centerfires?

For example, I have a .22 Glock model 44 that is similar in dimensions to a Glock 19 9mm, but I am WAY more accurate with the .22 version than I am with the 9mm version.

In fact, I am more accurate with the compact sized Glock in .22 than I am with my large Glock 34, even though I'm using open sights and the 34 is bigger, longer, better sight radius, and heavier, and has a competition trigger with a lighter pull.

I also have two Ruger GP100 revolvers, one in .22 and the other in .357, and I am way more accurate with the .22 revolver than the .357.

I know the obvious answer would be recoil anticipation/flinching, but I have done some dry firing and try to consciously shoot the same with a nice steady grip....and I still end up being way more accurate with the .22's

Is there any other reason you can think of besides maybe I am still somehow subconsciously anticipating the recoil/flinching subtly?

TaperPin

WKR
I learned a lot by making up some dummy cartridges - when you don’t know if the gun will fire or not, the slightest flinch or hand movement that is normally hidden in recoil becomes painfully obvious.

I’d say it’s 100% recoil anticipation. The suggestion of dummy rounds will really show it. You have to have someone else load your mags though. It’s actually quite incredible what you find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Buckhead

FNG
If you have a lead sled or access to a machine type rest, that should reduce or eliminate the flinch factor. I do think that .22's tend to be slightly more accurate though, but that may be due to ammo. Unless you are a match shooter, you probably don't shoot many wadcutter/target loads. Makes a big difference.

My suggestion would be to enroll in a good pistol course, or if you have a range that does it, one on one instruction from a pro. When I say pro, I don't mean the guy that hangs out at the range and gives everyone advice or your average NRA Pistol Instructor. I mean someone who has training in warfighting with handguns. They will get you where you need to be.

Oldffemt

WKR
Recoil anticipation and the muzzle blast are more than likely your issue. I agree with the others. Take a class. I enjoy defensive pistol classes because I’m building multiple skills at one time. As was already said, just don’t hire “the range pro.” To add to that, buy 1000 rounds and go burn through it. I personally tend to shoot pistols much better if I’m shooting steel, golf balls, gophers etc. anything other than paper. Once you’ve taken a good class you’ll want to take another and another….