Who's Moose Hunting Alaska 2022?!?

I started a thread similar to this the past 2 years. The first year I was getting ready for my first Alaska experience... It was one I'll never forget. Last year I did not go but this year I am making my way back up there in less than 2 months and the anticipation is almost unbearable.

I thought it would be cool to start a thread for all the guys headed up north this year for moose and bounce things off one another. Not that this will help trying to get through the next couple months without going crazy thinking about the hunt haha.

The first year I went with my Father & Uncle. We drew straws the morning of opening day and my uncle was up first, dad second and I was 3rd. We went 2 for 3 so I'm heading back up this year with my cousin for redemption hopefully!

I wish nothing but good luck and good weather to all!

ALASKA IS CALLING...

IMG_76021.jpg

thumbnail_B903C2D7-B39E-4726-86BC-D6CA5C6BB0A4.jpg

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider
We fly out to camp 9/10 weather permitting. 4th unguided drop hunt. Can't get enough. It's all I can do to keep them biannual. Just inventoried gear this weekend so I could start ordering food and missing items. Plan to pre-ship a lot of that up early August so we don't have to schlep it through the airport.

Fly out Sept. 3 for my first Moose hunt after catching the Alaska bug a couple years ago on my Caribou hunt. Starting to get closer, so getting more excited by the week. Transporter is providing food and camp and small boat w/ motor. ( we have to set it up). Gonna be nice to leave some of my usual gear at home and not stress about weights. I am also really anxious to experience a different Ak climate. My last hunt was North of Coldfoot and now I will be west of Anchorage. Warm temps with moisture is what I am expecting vs. Freezing with Snow on last AK hunt.

OP
Robinhood21
We fly out to camp 9/10 weather permitting. 4th unguided drop hunt. Can't get enough. It's all I can do to keep them biannual. Just inventoried gear this weekend so I could start ordering food and missing items. Plan to pre-ship a lot of that up early August so we don't have to schlep it through the airport.

I think I'm going to try to make this a biannual trip also. My wife mentioned something about hoping this is my last moose trip and I said, it's definitely not going to be lol! Going through gear this week also. Good luck!

Going to be giving it a shot for the first time this year. For years I’ve been extremely excited, but nerves (of the unknown) kinda starting to creep in. It’s all gone from theory to actually happening real quick! No need to fret what I can’t control, and by in large I don’t. Whats tough are the things you can semi-control.

bmrfish

WKR
Flying out of Bethel Sept 4. This will be my 5th remote moose trip in AK and my second out of Bethel. I have yet to harvest my own moose so I am thinking this is my year.

Nephew’s meat bull last year.

1f38c43424c4f10a7541e237860a1567.jpg

Brother’s bull on trip #2

603b9bd7c4646590bde0f0f073b45cb7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bmrfish

WKR
Fly out Sept. 3 for my first Moose hunt after catching the Alaska bug a couple years ago on my Caribou hunt. Starting to get closer, so getting more excited by the week. Transporter is providing food and camp and small boat w/ motor. ( we have to set it up). Gonna be nice to leave some of my usual gear at home and not stress about weights. I am also really anxious to experience a different Ak climate. My last hunt was North of Coldfoot and now I will be west of Anchorage. Warm temps with moisture is what I am expecting vs. Freezing with Snow on last AK hunt.

It will rain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnboy

WKR
Heading to the Brooks with a buddy on 9/9 for a 12 day float. This is trip #3 for me -- still haven't fired a shot (my buddy tagged a 63" bull on trip #1). If nothing else, I shall return with tales of adventure. Excited hardly describes where I'm at right now.

Bull2.jpg

DSC00350.JPG

Well...I have plane tickets for September, for all they're worth. The truth is some guy who wears a white shirt and a tie while flying a plane may be walking a picket line instead of flying me to Fairbanks. I guess all I can do is get ready and hope it happens.

Then there's the millions of acres smoldering as Vern mentioned. There's currently an active fire less than 15 miles from my camp and it's only mid July. I might need to buy some Ash Gray hunting clothes before this is over.

I haven't touched a piece of gear or picked up my longbow since last December. I probably need to buy 5 things I can't recall at the moment. And I'm perfectly fine with all the above because it's right in line with every other year I've been there. Somehow I always manage to spin the prop and pull the chocks just in time to make it happen. And even if it doesn't happen I won't sweat it much.

My son and I will be going to the southern Brooks September 4. We’ve had to overcome a huge challenge, when our bush pilot bailed on us at the last minute. Miraculously, and through a hell of a lot of calling, we found someone and WE ARE GOING!..

I am a bit concerned about all of the fires…. I hear the smoke is heavy.. Visual Flight Rules.. Will the fires ground some of the bush flights? We’re inside of 60 days…. I do hope it rains enough to control all of those fires..

I do sincerely wish everyone thats going a Safe and Successful Trip. The information shared here by so many has been a huge help in making our trip a possibility. So Thank You Everyone.!

My son and I will be going to the southern Brooks September 4. We’ve had to overcome a huge challenge, when our bush pilot bailed on us at the last minute. Miraculously, and through a hell of a lot of calling, we found someone and WE ARE GOING!..

I am a bit concerned about all of the fires…. I hear the smoke is heavy.. Visual Flight Rules.. Will the fires ground some of the bush flights? We’re inside of 60 days…. I do hope it rains enough to control all of those fires..

I do sincerely wish everyone thats going a Safe and Successful Trip. The information shared here by so many has been a huge help in making our trip a possibility. So Thank You Everyone.!

Highly unlikely that smoke (ash haze) all on its own would reduce visibility to less than two miles. Highly unlikely. You'd need to basically be flying right on the leading edge of a wildfire to end up in IFR conditions. There's other was to get around a smoke plume, besides flying right through it (lol). Now fog and smoke ash combined, can make things a bit tricky if you're flying in sheep country. Been there done that .....