Who's hunting sheep soon?

fatbacks

WKR
three more days for me too. Just want to be in the mountains now.

Looks to be pretty darn hot the next few days in the northern half of Alaska. Feels weird to be packing up long underwear and puffy gear. However, it snows on us every year without fail.

three more days for me too. Just want to be in the mountains now.

Looks to be pretty darn hot the next few days

Yeah, sheep are way high right now and they've buried themselves in the rocks. All this past week they've been up around 8000 and even higher, and in the real gnarly stuff, hiding from the heat. So far, nobody's been killing any, that I've heard of. Been too hot. Down south they're dealing with obscuration everyday, apparently. I'd be surprised if more than three rams were killed this week, statewide.

Bambistew

WKR
First it’s July 25th, then July 28th, then Aug 7th, quite the delay Rob.
takes a long time to hike up to watch sheep at 8000ft. :D Most sheep have ascended to heaven so it makes sense we should look for them 2000ft above the max height of most of their range.

I can't wait to get out of town. I'm holding out for a ram with a 17" deep curl and horns that weigh 40lbs!

I’ll be heading out Oct 1
e92f92077612b6ee7dc80425e8af9f34.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
🤞 good luck

Choogiak

FNG
Yeah, sheep are way high right now and they've buried themselves in the rocks. All this past week they've been up around 8000 and even higher, and in the real gnarly stuff, hiding from the heat. So far, nobody's been killing any, that I've heard of. Been too hot. Down south they're dealing with obscuration everyday, apparently. I'd be surprised if more than three rams were killed this week, statewide.
We took a nice ram on the youth hunt, way up high in the nasty shale. Found him on the 2nd day of the season

Sept. 1. BC resident. Self-guided, General Open Season, Stone's sheep hunt. 14 days. I've been putting the boot leather to good use in training. My 2023 stats to date: 367 kms (228 miles) of weighted hikes, 216 kms (135 miles) of unweighted walks, 11,000+ meters (36,300 feet) of elevation gain. I did 13 kms (8 miles) /750 meters (2460 feet) today with 55 lbs in the pack. I'll be ready.

Last edited:

Cspraggins

Lil-Rokslider
21 days I am flying to fairbanks. Three weeks doesn't feel that far away when you booked the trip almost 3 years ago, yet it still feel like a lifteime away with some hunt reports rolling in!