Who’s got the best jerky recipe?

My lazy/easy recipe. Slice against the grain or can use ground/jerky gun.

Trader Joe’s soyaki teriyaki marinade. Throw it in a gallon ziplock with the meat so it is covering it well. 24ish hours is about right.

Or just dump in with the ground.

I don’t measure just approximate.

Drain the excess marinade and put it on the pellet grill, smoker, or in the oven. Sometimes I’ll sprinkle black pepper, red pepper flakes, or whatever else sounds good on top.

Keep it refrigerated and it lasts several weeks if not longer. Can add curing salt if you need longer shelf life but I prefer a smaller batch here and there because fresh is better anyways.

Super easy, sweet/tangy and delicious. Just the right amount of salt

OK, I'll throw one out there.

This for 8 lbs of sliced meat, I hand cut mine about 1/4" thick.

For the marinade:

1 2/3 tsp Prague Powder (pink salt)
1 Tbsp garlic powder
5 tsp Black pepper
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 1/2 Tbsp liquid smoke
2 1/2 Tbsp Johnnys Seasoning salt
1 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1 Tbsp onion powder
4 Tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup Yoshidas
6 cups water

I let the meat sit in this overnight. Drain it very well. If you like it peppery, add in as much ground black pepper at this point as you want and mix well. I don't use my smokers anymore, but dehydrate it at 110 degrees for as long as you like, it usually takes about 10 hours or so. Pull it out when it gets a bit leathery-like.
I feel like a fatty cause my mouth is salivating just from reading the ingredients LOL definitely gonna have to try this one out.
OK, I'll throw one out there.

This for 8 lbs of sliced meat, I hand cut mine about 1/4" thick.

For the marinade:

1 2/3 tsp Prague Powder (pink salt)
1 Tbsp garlic powder
5 tsp Black pepper
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 1/2 Tbsp liquid smoke
2 1/2 Tbsp Johnnys Seasoning salt
1 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1 Tbsp onion powder
4 Tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup Yoshidas
6 cups water

I let the meat sit in this overnight. Drain it very well. If you like it peppery, add in as much ground black pepper at this point as you want and mix well. I don't use my smokers anymore, but dehydrate it at 110 degrees for as long as you like, it usually takes about 10 hours or so. Pull it out when it gets a bit leathery-like.
literally salivating just from reading this ingredients. I’m definitely just a fatty LOL I’ll give this recipe a shot

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I made this recipe today and it turned out amazing. I cut the liquid smoke in half and used a zero calorie sweetener instead of the brown sugar. Highly recommend

ad65d4021925847956cfcd08d8f92b89.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I made a batch of this up, its got enjoyable heat on the back end but lacks initial flavor blast I like up front, I'll add in a generous amount of black pepper to this recipe in the future and try again, I do like that chipotle linger.

Here's my normal recipe that the kids like:
*4lb sliced meat 1/8-1/4" thick
*3T black pepper
*1T garlic powder
*1T onion powder
*1T salt
*2t chili powder
*2t paprika
*3T Brown sugar
*1/4c soy sauce
*1/2c worcestershire sauce
*1/4t liquid smoke (optional)
Marinate overnight then dehydrate. (Can smoke for a while first and finish on dehydrator).

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I don't have my recipe handy, but I will say any recipe with liquid smoke is one I won't make. That stuff gives a taste I don't care for. I use a smoker for real smoke vs synthetic chemical.

I don't have my recipe handy, but I will say any recipe with liquid smoke is one I won't make. That stuff gives a taste I don't care for. I use a smoker for real smoke vs synthetic chemical.
I can’t vouch for all brands, but liquid smoke is usually just condensed real smoke in water. Probably some preservatives in there to keep it safe, but it’s not a synthetic chemical to get the smoke taste. I honestly didn’t know that until about a year ago when they mentioned it in a recipe as basically interchangeable with smoking if you find a brand/flavor you like.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Funny…I used liquid smoke once. And only once!

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've used liquid smoke in the past and its been fine. That said I don't have any so when I made that recipe above recently I used smoked paprika. I didn't feel like firing up the smoker.

wowzers

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty much all I make anymore. The wife is not a fan of me reducing it in the house. I usually add some pink salt to make it last longer and smoke it.

crich

WKR
Not a jerky recipe exactly, but similar. Once I started making biltong I haven't made another batch of regular whole-muscle jerky, still do ground jerky from time to time tho. I follow this recipe exactly with venison and it works great. Definitely worth a try if you're getting bored with jerky recipes. 50% weight loss will leave some chew in the middle and 65% it'll be dry all the way through.

This is intriguing. How does the texture compare to a traditional jerky?

This is intriguing. How does the texture compare to a traditional jerky?
Definitely softer than most homemade jerky. You can take it out it early and have the texture and look similar to bresaola, or keep it hanging until it gets really dried out and has that white sinewy look when pulled apart like jerky. I like right in the middle for snacking at home but will dry longer if its going with me on a hike or hunt. Heres a few pieces I just cut open today. The sinew looks like it would fight ya, but somehow the process softens it up a good bit.

Attachments

• IMG_3727.jpeg
    IMG_3727.jpeg
    643.3 KB · Views: 15