Who is moose hunting 2023?

I have watched and followed and read these threads that have come up each year. To say Im excited for my first moose hunt is an understatement.

I will be float hunting this September in 17b. Im trying to get into 19b for the longer, later season. I will be bow hunting with my recurve so Id like the later dates for rut potential and calling them in closer for a shot. I turned 40yrs old a few months ago so since last May Ive been getting into as good of shape as I can. I cant control everything on the hunt, but I feel I can be as prepared as possible physically and with gear that Im used to using compared to rental gear.

I look forward to other’s stories and pics and woes and successes. Who else is going?

OP
ammonnhonduras
So I did book with an outfit. A DIY hunt. Drop off float hunt. He had a float hunt available. Ive been asking area questions and coordinates to know the area before we arrive. Asking to bring and use my own gear of certain things. Asking any and all things I can. “Ask and ye shall receive.” ya know? Happened to run into a friend from church at the gym. Told him why I was working out. He said his wifes brother had just done a hunt in Alaska this past September. Got the guys number and lo and behold he used the same pilot’s service and was dropped on a lake for his hunt. He had very valuable information for me concerning pre and post hunt info.

I served a 2yr LDS mission in Honduras between 02-04. Got my first email address at that time and Ive been Ammon in Honduras ever since.
Are you going with an outfit? Drop off float hunt? I am interested in your plan to go between units? Or are you undecided on drop off locations ?

On a side what’s your tie to Honduras?

So I did book with an outfit. A DIY hunt. Drop off float hunt. He had a float hunt available. Ive been asking area questions and coordinates to know the area before we arrive. Asking to bring and use my own gear of certain things. Asking any and all things I can. “Ask and ye shall receive.” ya know? Happened to run into a friend from church at the gym. Told him why I was working out. He said his wifes brother had just done a hunt in Alaska this past September. Got the guys number and lo and behold he used the same pilot’s service and was dropped on a lake for his hunt. He had very valuable information for me concerning pre and post hunt info.

I served a 2yr LDS mission in Honduras between 02-04. Got my first email address at that time and Ive been Ammon in Honduras ever since.
In my moose experience it takes a lot of patience! At least on a float hunt you should have something to do and see a bit more country.

I was in Honduras as well, '96-'98, small world.

MQQSE

FNG
My son and I are headed back up this September. We are planning ahead and already have 23,24 and 25 on the books with the different air taxi’s. It seems these days you have to stay ahead of the game.

My boy was able to take his bull the first hour of the season on 9/5 so I don’t think he knows what I normally suffer through. This year I am hoping he can experience a little of everything over the 11 days.

Good luck to everyone this fall.

Attachments

• A4E823F3-2948-4A02-A1FB-F77B50602E1C.jpeg
    A4E823F3-2948-4A02-A1FB-F77B50602E1C.jpeg
    560.1 KB · Views: 198
It won't be official until tomorrow; but unless I have a massive stroke of luck in the draw and run out of vacation time, I'll be moose hunting. Wife's schedule will force me to go last ten days of September this year, so we'll see how that goes.

Good luck on your hunt and congrats on pulling the trigger to do it!

emarr

FNG
I have watched and followed and read these threads that have come up each year. To say Im excited for my first moose hunt is an understatement.

I will be float hunting this September in 17b. Im trying to get into 19b for the longer, later season. I will be bow hunting with my recurve so Id like the later dates for rut potential and calling them in closer for a shot. I turned 40yrs old a few months ago so since last May Ive been getting into as good of shape as I can. I cant control everything on the hunt, but I feel I can be as prepared as possible physically and with gear that Im used to using compared to rental gear.

I look forward to other’s stories and pics and woes and successes. Who else is going?
I live in 17c and will be moose hunting this fall.

I DIY’d it last year, thought about going again this year, but decided I needed a break. It was a ton of work and super stressful at times. We were out there during the worst storm they have had in decades last September. We both tagged out and moose meat is awesome, so I am planning to head back out in 2024.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
who ain't!?

Peeling the lid off a new undiscovered creek I've been eyeballing for years. Should be epic. Also further studying muscle response to negative energy balance during the hunt via muscle biopsy analysis. We're down to the molecular discussion on this topic now and its been an enlightening several years of research. Exciting stuff when you can blend your passion with another passion.

OP
ammonnhonduras
who ain't!?

Peeling the lid off a new undiscovered creek I've been eyeballing for years. Should be epic. Also further studying muscle response to negative energy balance during the hunt via muscle biopsy analysis. We're down to the molecular discussion on this topic now and its been an enlightening several years of research. Exciting stuff when you can blend your passion with another passion.
Hi, Larry. Big fan here. I dont know what muscle biopsy analysis is. Good luck. I really enjoy your vids and books. We actually talked this past summer when I was looking for a raft and I didnt know who I was talking to. I look forward to hearing about your study.