Who is dropping their standards?

okay can we all agree that slashing tires or being an a-hole especially when firearms are out and loaded is really really dumb, for all involved. How about shoot what tips your trigger and leave it there. 71 year old guy I met this year smoked a forkie in the basin I was glassin. I was pumped for him, hell i hope I can still be hiking back into spots when I’m that age
This here is the correct attitude, 100%. This will get you a handshake instead of slashed tires every time.

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
So I was just curious if anyone had dropped their standards... I didn't want to start a fight at a trailhead😉. Anyway, these people that are saying they hunt to have a good time, to make memories, to enjoy the mountains and enjoy filling tags, that is awesome and a big part of it for me as well. For me I have found I crave those big bucks (my definition of big maybe different from someone else's). Who knows maybe I won't someday, but I hope I always do!

b0nes

Lil-Rokslider
So youre ok with a resident killing whatever they want with a cheap tag but have a problem with a NR killing whatever they want with a more expensive tag? Those NR hunters also dumped a couple grand into your local economy in the form of gas, food, lodging, etc.

Ppl like you are why people get their tires slashed.
Couple things. Who’s this dumbass? Why is he still on rockslide? Is this the new monstermuleys? And is he related to Aram Von Benedikt?

sndmn11

Mouth of Morrison
For me I have found I crave those big bucks

Do you crave big bucks or smart bucks? I am a far better fly fisherman than hunter. I get much more excited sticking a fat 18" wild brown in heavily fished water on drift two after watching anglers stand a rod's length away and flail for an hour, than I do netting a 30" rainbow with a 3wt and 5.5x on private water.

One looks cooler for pictures though.

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
Do you crave big bucks or smart bucks? I am a far better fly fisherman than hunter. I get much more excited sticking a fat 18" wild brown in heavily fished water on drift two after watching anglers stand a rod's length away and flail for an hour, than I do netting a 30" rainbow with a 3wt and 5.5x on private water.

One looks cooler for pictures though.
I am totally on the same page with you. I'd rather shoot a 180 inch public land buck than a 210 inch buck on a private ranch.

My standards change a lot depending on the circumstances of the hunt. Is my freezer full? How much time do I have to hunt for that particular season? What is the known quality of buck I have seen or know for sure exists in that unit? I try to go into a hunt with a realistic standard based on those three questions. That may be a 140 buck, or a 180 buck, depending on the tag, the time, and the scouting. Once I’m on the hunt, it comes down to this:

Does the buck get me exited? I’m trying to replicate that heart rate spike and excitement when I first lay eyes on a “big buck”. The size of deer that produces that response has changed a lot over the years. I have a lot of fun looking for THAT buck, but it really no longer interests me killing one that doesn’t get my heart rate up. I should have to TRY to get it together before the shot! If I know it’s the biggest buck i can reasonably find in the unit, I’ll be exited, even if that’s a 150. If I truly need the meat, I’ll take a lesser buck at the end of my hunt.

b0nes

Lil-Rokslider
Oh the irony of your comment.
You’re not wrong, I truly do not get worked up about these topics. I learned as a young man you shouldn’t play chess with pigeons. I don’t think rockslide should be a place where we talk about committing felonies. Maybe his comments are within rockslide standards.

You’re not wrong, I truly do not get worked up about these topics. I learned as a young man you shouldn’t play chess with pigeons. I don’t think rockslide should be a place where we talk about committing felonies. Maybe his comments are within
Someone is committing felonies here? Do tell

MThuntr

WKR
Entitlement to kill a mule deer is part how Montana got in this predicament of no decent mature bucks. Its not even a resident vs nonresident issue. Lots of guys put in 3 days of driving around so they think they're owed a freezer buck.

Why not shoot a whitetail then? For the $1000 of an extended weekend why not buy a side of beef and lie to your friends it's an elk?

Hnthrdr

WKR
My standards change a lot depending on the circumstances of the hunt. Is my freezer full? How much time do I have to hunt for that particular season? What is the known quality of buck I have seen or know for sure exists in that unit? I try to go into a hunt with a realistic standard based on those three questions. That may be a 140 buck, or a 180 buck, depending on the tag, the time, and the scouting. Once I’m on the hunt, it comes down to this:

Does the buck get me exited? I’m trying to replicate that heart rate spike and excitement when I first lay eyes on a “big buck”. The size of deer that produces that response has changed a lot over the years. I have a lot of fun looking for THAT buck, but it really no longer interests me killing one that doesn’t get my heart rate up. I should have to TRY to get it together before the shot! If I know it’s the biggest buck i can reasonably find in the unit, I’ll be exited, even if that’s a 150. If I truly need the meat, I’ll take a lesser buck at the end of my hunt.
Great way to put it! Very similar to how it works out for me. If I have to try and talk myself into shooting… he is not my buck, I remember when I saw the buck I took this year, I knew instantly that I wanted to shoot him.

To the op my goal is to shoot a mature buck. At the end of the day I feed my family off meat for the year and I will lower my standards if I get a chance at something smaller then ideal but still is within what I consider a killable deer. I ate tag soup in my home state this year and shot what some may consider small bucks in 2 other states it’s all in perspective of the hunter. Unfortunately killing does and spikes or forks is not illegal in a lot places so at that point we should be more mad at our voted in politicians making the rules then a non res or resident that shoots a legal animal we don’t agree with morally. As far as slashing tires I’ve had that done by some low life on my triple axle trailer. If you got a problem with someone man up and face it because that is a spineless way to attempt to settle any dispute. At the end of the day someone knows he needs tires and has no idea what he did wrong to deserve that.