Who is dropping their standards?

Well it seems our mule deer herds are hurting west wide, although I think better days are coming. I have heard of some people dropping their standards on the quality of mule deer they are willing to shoot. I don't feel like I am in this category. If people are falling into this category I have no problem with it, it is their choice. Just wondering if any of you out there are feeling this way. I would love to hear all your thoughts, thanks!

Hnthrdr

WKR
Griz you kill some nice bucks. Ever since I killed my first muley some 8 yesrs ago, I made a decision that I would become much more picky on mule deer. Especially if I kill an elk, full disclosure, shooting big bulls is amazing, but I like eating elk a lot and smaller bulls are stupid. So far I have eaten 2 tags 1 chasing a really nice buck around for 4 days which was awesome, and one just never turned up a shooter. I have killed 2 of what I would call more mature bucks, neither have hit the 180 mark, but realistically finding that in the units I hunt is extremely rare, so I go by antler frame size, body size, face shape, ect. It is fun to still put stalks on or get closer sometimes on the smaller bucks but I have never regretted passing them up.

mt100gr.

WKR
What Geewhiz said. Too many people settling for a "meat buck" instead of eating the tag. I have seen the results of shutting down the season before the rut. I love hunting them in November, but getting them back is going to require some sacrifices. AND QUIT KILLING DOES FOR A WHILE!!

Hnthrdr

WKR
What Geewhiz said. Too many people settling for a "meat buck" instead of eating the tag. I have seen the results of shutting down the season before the rut. I love hunting them in November, but getting them back is going to require some sacrifices. AND QUIT KILLING DOES FOR A WHILE!!
I agree, definitely not just folks from out of state, lots and lots of guys will dump a fork, often not waiting till the last day. To me lots of folks looking for lots of different things out there, some may just want meat, so can’t judge em. The F&G are really in control of it setting season dates and issuing tags. In Co they keep handing out Nov tags like candy on Halloween and loads and loads of bucks are going to keep hitting the dirt

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
Griz you kill some nice bucks. Ever since I killed my first muley some 8 yesrs ago, I made a decision that I would become much more picky on mule deer. Especially if I kill an elk, full disclosure, shooting big bulls is amazing, but I like eating elk a lot and smaller bulls are stupid. So far I have eaten 2 tags 1 chasing a really nice buck around for 4 days which was awesome, and one just never turned up a shooter. I have killed 2 of what I would call more mature bucks, neither have hit the 180 mark, but realistically finding that in the units I hunt is extremely rare, so I go by antler frame size, body size, face shape, ect. It is fun to still put stalks on or get closer sometimes on the smaller bucks but I have never regretted passing them up.
Hey I appreciate that, thank you!!!

I’ll pass on mule deer if the quality isn’t there. Always a 135-145” whitetail around the last weekend I enjoy to chase if we need the meat. Try not to shoot any up and coming whitetails either. Sad to see some of the young mule deer shot on the last weekend around my place.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm kind of the other side of the spectrum. I love venison too much to eat a tag. No real opportunity for elk/moose for us, so killing a few deer a year in my family is a must. We do what we can to not kill the young bucks with "good" genetics, and focus on cull bucks and does. But we don't lose sleep over killing a 130-140" deer every now and then either

mt100gr.

WKR
I agree, definitely not just folks from out of state, lots and lots of guys will dump a fork, often not waiting till the last day. To me lots of folks looking for lots of different things out there, some may just want meat, so can’t judge em. The F&G are really in control of it setting season dates and issuing tags. In Co they keep handing out Nov tags like candy on Halloween and loads and loads of bucks are going to keep hitting the dirt
Agreed. I won't judge anyone for killing a legal animal that makes them happy. I get to hunt with a handful of kids every year and those parameters are the very goal of each outing. Safe, legal, and happy!

Limitations and regulations will have to come from the "managing" agencies.

IdahoBeav

WKR
I have heard of some people dropping their standards on the quality of mule deer they are willing to shoot.
Speaking from Idaho and Oregon experience, this combined with tag numbers is the biggest reason why the herds are hurting and buck to doe ratios are so low.

Tag soup combined with a good beef steak and letting small bucks walk tastes better than any mule deer venison, IMO.

Last few seasons have really just focused on my kids and dads hunts. I will kill something is the moment is right. Not really about the size of the animal more about the hunt. With that have passed on young deer, I dont have a need to fill a tag just to fill it

Geewhiz

WKR
Only people I saw, in the Montana 2020 rifle season, loading fork horns into the bed of their trucks were residents. So, I am glad they didn't have to drive very far "east" to get home. lol
Says the guy not from montana.

Its one thing to go hunting one day and shoot the first deer you see to fill the freezer. As a resident.

Its entirely different to come to montana with high hopes, hunt for a few days, not find what you want, and then shoot a dink on the last day just because you "deserve" a deer since you paid for a nonresident tag and so you dont have to go home and tell your friends that you spent all that money and didnt get one.

RS3579

WKR
I personally shoot the 1st legal animal I see for all big game if I’m hunting alone. If I’m with a young/new hunter, I give them every chance till they are successful.