Who dead hangs regularly?

Superdoo

WKR
It's just comical, the endless gimmicky fitness BS I see on hunting forums. It's like the mindless crossfit insanity from 2008-9 when dudes were buying pukey the clown shirts like getting Rhabdo meant you were a badass. Only the bro science is so much stronger here
Would you mind sharing the more efficient/effective methods you use?

sacklunch

WKR
Would you mind sharing the more efficient/effective methods you use?
Sure, for training what? DHs don't really do anything well. Grip strength maybe? Spinal decompression? Slightly strengthening the rotator cuff? People use the functional term alot, but how often do you find yourself hanging from a tree branch in real life? The only arguement I can realistically see for DHs is spinal decompression, but that needs to be accompanied by other stretches/mobility to be effective and the time in decompression needs to be extended beyond what most can DH

You want to train grip strength, core stability and the CNS all at once...heavy farmers walks

For core stability and shoulder stability/strength...loaded walks/holds with bar overhead...just shoulder instability/rotator cuff work...handstand holds.

Spinal decompression...a number of stretches (cat/cow, piriformis, child's pose), etc and follow by decompressing the spine over the couch, or better yet, g-boots).

I just don't buy that the time spent doing DHs wouldn't be better spent doing other exercises...goal dependent. Sorry, I know opinions contrary to the folks who live on here are frowned upon, WKRs know everything, just ask them.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Sure, for training what? DHs don't really do anything well. Grip strength maybe? Spinal decompression? Slightly strengthening the rotator cuff? People use the functional term alot, but how often do you find yourself hanging from a tree branch in real life? The only arguement I can realistically see for DHs is spinal decompression, but that needs to be accompanied by other stretches/mobility to be effective and the time in decompression needs to be extended beyond what most can DH

You want to train grip strength, core stability and the CNS all at once...heavy farmers walks

For core stability and shoulder stability/strength...loaded walks/holds with bar overhead...just shoulder instability/rotator cuff work...handstand holds.

Spinal decompression...a number of stretches (cat/cow, piriformis, child's pose), etc and follow by decompressing the spine over the couch, or better yet, g-boots).

I just don't buy that the time spent doing DHs wouldn't be better spent doing other exercises...goal dependent. Sorry, I know opinions contrary to the folks who live on here are frowned upon, WKRs know everything, just ask them.
Time they take?
At worse they take 2-3 minutes out of your workout and are a decent warmup/stretch. At best they have some real and long term benefits. I don’t see the issue?

sacklunch

WKR
Time they take?
At worse they take 2-3 minutes out of your workout and are a decent warmup/stretch. At best they have some real and long term benefits. I don’t see the issue?
Time they take, meaning that's not enough to compress the spine, especially if not combines with some other back stretches to allow tight muscles to release and the spine to more easily decompress. But have at it dude, I don't much care, just stating an opinion. Don't like it, don't follow the advice.

Maybe next we can do a thread on calf raises...super beneficial. Hey, who's doing CRs?

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
Dead hangs are completely different from farmers walks.....strengthen the whole upper body....work cns for upper body better than a farmer walk and hit the core also. 3x 60 second dead hang 4 x a week really does not effect my schedule (12 whole minutes) I take twice that long every day to just stretch....plus the benefits for shoulder health and mobility which heavy farmers carries tend to be bad for/not good for. Personally I can feel the spine decompress and my shoulders have gotten significantly better....time for dead hang is also used as a gauge of overall fitness and if you do them regularly you can notice any cns fatigue right away and I got taller......;) plus Joe Rogan says they are great so you have that to take to the bank....

Now, I can find negatives about any exercise and say that other exercises are better....so what is really your point? Not glamorous/noisy enough for you?
Your talking bad about fitness influencers and on here trying to be one, whtupwiththat?

And the best part of all=no one on here was telling anyone else they should do these...but here you are decrying people telling others to do exercises and your doing just that. Then making fun of the community in general....I think you have issues....but that is OK cause I do not have to deal with you in person.

:)

Last edited:

sacklunch

WKR
Dead hangs are completely different from farmers walks.....strengthen the whole upper body....work cns for upper body better than a farmer walk and hit the core also. 3x 60 second dead hang 4 x a week really does not effect my schedule (12 whole minutes) I take twice that long every day to just stretch....plus the benefits for shoulder health and mobility. Personally I can feel the spine decompress and my shoulders have gotten significantly better....time for dead hang is also used as a gauge of overall fitness and if you do them regularly you can notice any cns fatigue right away and I got taller......;) plus Joe Rogan says they are great so you have that to take to the bank....

Now, I can find negatives about any exercise and say that other exercises are better....so what is really your point? Not glamorous/noisy enough for you?
Your talking bad about fitness influencers and on here trying to be one, whtupwiththat?

:)
DHs do not work the CNS better than heavy farmers walks, nor do they "the hit core"..where on earth are you getting your bro science from?

in all honesty though Zap, you've found the fountain of youth and mobility, don't let anyone tell you different😉

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
hangs work the upper body cns system (the nerves used in the hang) better than farmers carries.....because the cns is not running all those other nerves at the same time. That is called isolation.
Hanging definitely does work core it just depends if you have the ability to do it in certain ways. Hang in a hollow body position or an L-sit for a minute and get back to me. Many of the best core exercises are done while hanging.....hang with your whole body lengthened and your toes pointed down and your core gets hit for sure while just hanging. Your the one who does not realize the science of fitness, not me.

You think a farmers carry are going to hit areas better than a hang but that is a fallacy other than lower body. Nor are they the same at all...as far as youth and mobility I do very, very well.....have you done dead hangs over time to help with shoulder issues? If not then your talking out your backside....which has been obvious from the beginning.

just hang...and 'bro science' is better than where you are at=no science.

Here is your bro Joe :) :

Last edited:
DHs do not work the CNS better than heavy farmers walks, nor do they "the hit core"..where on earth are you getting your bro science from?

in all honesty though Zap, you've found the fountain of youth and mobility, don't let anyone tell you different

I’m not sure you realize how incredibly obnoxious you are being in this thread; or maybe you do realize and you’re getting enjoyment out of it. You’ve stated your angry opinion, multiple times…….now move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sacklunch

WKR
I’m not sure you realize how incredibly obnoxious you are being in this thread; or maybe you do realize and you’re getting enjoyment out of it. You’ve stated your angry opinion, multiple times…….now move on.

Simply replying to folks quoting me. Dont like it, dont @me. Free to post my opinions, if you need a safe space from those opinions, that's on you. Simply debating exercise selection...or can we only post views that fit the WKR bro science echo chamber?

Last edited:
OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
I never quoted you..... :)

Sacklunch, I really do not care about your comments other than they might influence some member who has been having issues and thought to try dead hangs......I would hate to see someone like that miss the opportunity to make life altering changes because of what you posted. Contributing to the community was the reason I started this thread......That is the only reason I have kept up with this....I do not care if you think I am correct because I know I am correct...carry on and have a great Sunday.

BBob

WKR
where on earth are you getting your bro science from?
Yeah, it’s just bro science brah :ROFLMAO:

“Orthopaedic surgeon Dr. John M. Kirsch, conducted research through a series of CT scans performed in 2004 to study the mechanics of the hanging exercise in the shoulders of live subjects. The study found that this simple exercise called relaxed hanging aka ‘brachial hanging’ was helpful in certain shoulder problems.”

“John M. Kirsch, an orthopedic surgeon, says that 99% of shoulder pain can be cured and prevented by simply hanging from a bar. By performing a dead hang, the space between the acromion (bony articulation of the shoulder blade) and the head of the humerus (upper arm bone) opens up, potentially relieving any impingement of the rotator cuff tendons.”

Climbers, gymnasts and others have found it helpful for a long time beyond the grip strength component. I personally choose to go the non surgical route for rotator cuff issues (with guidance from my ortho doc) to see if I could resolve my issues without surgery. 25 years later still no surgery and dead hangs are part of that success.

But I’ll give it to you that farmers are great and likely just as important for shoulder work.

sacklunch

WKR
Yeah, it’s just bro science brah :ROFLMAO:

“Orthopaedic surgeon Dr. John M. Kirsch, conducted research through a series of CT scans performed in 2004 to study the mechanics of the hanging exercise in the shoulders of live subjects. The study found that this simple exercise called relaxed hanging aka ‘brachial hanging’ was helpful in certain shoulder problems.”

“John M. Kirsch, an orthopedic surgeon, says that 99% of shoulder pain can be cured and prevented by simply hanging from a bar. By performing a dead hang, the space between the acromion (bony articulation of the shoulder blade) and the head of the humerus (upper arm bone) opens up, potentially relieving any impingement of the rotator cuff tendons.”

Climbers, gymnasts and others have found it helpful for a long time beyond the grip strength component. I personally choose to go the non surgical route for rotator cuff issues (with guidance from my ortho doc) to see if I could resolve my issues without surgery. 25 years later still no surgery and dead hangs are part of that success.

But I’ll give it to you that farmers are great and likely just as important for shoulder work.
Interesting that you cited shoulder stability...yet I said the bro science part was CNS work and core work....neither of which is a benefit of DHs. Misrepresenting my statement to try and prove a point is disingenuous. I also said if shoulder stability is the goal, there are better exercise selections.

Ive rehabbed 3 x shoulder separations and an AC joint separation from sports injuries. But please, tell me more about addressing shoulder pain/stability.

Simply replying to folks quoting me. Dont like it, dont @me. Free to post my opinions, if you need a safe space from those opinions, that's on you. Simply debating exercise selection...or can we only post views that fit the WKR bro science echo chamber?

No, don’t need any safe spaces. Just simply pointing out your immature way of communicating your opinion. Everyone has one and that’s ok; I’m actually in favor of hearing them all because generally we can gain some wisdom or insight.

Do you really believe you have come into this conversation in a mature manner and have communicated your message effectively?

sacklunch

WKR
No, don’t need any safe spaces. Just simply pointing out your immature way of communicating your opinion. Everyone has one and that’s ok; I’m actually in favor of hearing them all because generally we can gain some wisdom or insight.

Do you really believe you have come into this conversation in a mature manner and have communicated your message effectively?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk my tone, or not, I welcome you to challenge any statements I've made regarding the exercises mentioned in this thread.
Whether you appreciate my tone or not is inignificant to me. I welcome you to debate any of the statements I've made regarding exercises mentioned in this thread. Or don't. I actually appreciate that zap is sticking to his guns, whether I agree with him or not. It's good for folks to have as much info from both sides as they can, in order to make their own decisions. I also appreciate that he can reply in-kind with a little tongue in cheek sarcasm, vice your take of just complaining about someone's tone vs debating the merits of a given statement.

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
yet I said the bro science part was CNS work and core work....neither of which is a benefit of DHs.
I’ll admit I didn’t read your reply’s close enough so I’ll say I didn’t intentionally misrepresent your comments. I don’t believe in any (or much of) of the CNS or core benefits either. Yeah you can get a little bit of core work while doing them but there are much better ways to do that.

Carry on!

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
if you hang in an l-sit or hollow body there are little core benefits? That is not true at all. Some of the most productive core exercises are done while hanging.
if you hang till you cannot hold the bar any longer your cns is tremendously stimulated. those are facts.

sacklunch

WKR
if you hang in an l-sit or hollow body there are little core benefits? That is not true at all. Some of the most productive core exercises are done while hanging.
if you hang till you cannot hold the bar any longer your cns is tremendously stimulated. those are facts.

I'll buy that, sort of, but i think the results are less profound than what can he had from another exercise choice. What's more taxing on the core, grip and CNS....bodyweight hangs with knees tucked, or farmers walks/yolk walks with a couple hundred lbs (or whatever max load for that individual would be)

Also, as you engage your core, you stabilize your spine, and that is contrary to what you want if the goal is spinal decompression.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
like I said earlier any exercise can be picked apart...I cannot do a hanging l-sit for as long as I can carry 250#. Most people that can carry 200# cannot get into the hanging l-sit position at all or hang for one minute. Why is that?
How much your engaged core effects the spine is dependent on the tilt of the pelvis....so a hollow body hang may not negate spinal decompression at all. Pus it is generally accepted that the lumbar spine does not decompress much from static hanging via the hands...

I start every day with a dead hang, even when I’m traveling I hang from a hotel room bathroom or entry door and just curl my feet up. Thankfully I haven’t ripped a door off it’s hinges, yet. I don’t really time, just hang until it starts to hurt and move onto other things. I think it provides a lot of benefit so I’ll keep doing it until I can’t.

mac37

FNG
“I start every day with a dead hang” 👍
Dead hangs are fun. That’s a good enough reason for me.