Whitetail Timber (Mostly) Scope

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm putting together what I'll call more of a "whitetail timber rifle" and I'm looking for a scope on the lower end of the magnification range. Through my research I've been challenged to focus more on the optic's lower end zoom capability for this application - and frankly as I've thought about it, 90% of the whitetails and hogs I've killed in the last 10 years have been inside of 150 yds so I know I could make do with a sub 3x magnification at that range, but would prefer to have a range and not buy fixed power. Throughout my hunting life I've bought into the "buy the biggest magnification you can afford" mindset which is laughable and embarrassing to admit, but it's so dang true in my case.

So, here's where I'm at. I'm researching more in the 1-7x, 2-8x (or similar range), but because I've never owned a scope with a smaller objective (most of these in this range have objectives - at least the ones I've found - in the 20-24MM range) - I'm wondering if that's adequate. And I always say I value function over form, but seeing a 20MM objective on the top of a deer rifle looks a little different to me...again going back to that "bigger is better" mindset I've been fed my whole hunting life. I feel like the magnification range is sufficient, mostly because like I said before, I'm killing deer inside of 100 yards and if I'm zoomed in on my current rifle over 6x I have trouble getting on the deer if he's at 50 (shocker, right?).

For those who hunt mostly in timber (obviously this doesn't apply to just whitetails, but could be bear, or other NA big game), help me out here to validate/invalidate that I'll be good w/a lower power scope, and if you have a recommendation, which direction would you point me? I'll do my due diligence and at the end of the day make my own decision, but would greatly appreciate y'all's thoughts on this topic.

For this application, which again is mostly hunting whitetails in the South, I'm thinking my maximum timber shot may be ~150 yards, and my maximum "field" shot may be between 300-400yds (though this seems less likely because when hunting whitetails I hate sitting on a field and prefer being in the thick stuff where most other hunters in my area won't go to because of the "difficulty" to get there, so I'll take a canoe, hike a couple miles, etc. to get to a good timber hunting area).

To name a few of the scopes I've looked at.
Leupold vx3 1.5-5x20 w/Firedot ret
Leupold vx6 1-6x24
Swaro z6i 1-6x24
Swaro z3 3-9x36
Trijicon credo 1-8x28 (but don't love that it's FFP and reticle would take getting used to), also looked at the 1-6x24 and the 2-10x36
NF - several, but would like to have a recommendation before continuing research...I think the reticles would take some getting used to for me

I just picked up a Trijicon Credo 3-9x40 with green duplex and it could be the ticket. Center crosshairs are very thin for day time accuracy but when it gets dark can crank up the green crosshairs. Glass is very good.

I'm ran a 1-4x24 this year for whitetail, despite it being an el-cheapo bushnell it was still adequate for a 90 yard shot 15 minutes before sunrise on a clear morning. The next day was heavily overcast and rainy, I could still make out objects (unfortunately no deer) right at the end of legal shooting light 30 minutes past sunset. It wasn't great, but was good enough.

The biggest thing to watch out for with the LPVOs is the eye relief, the 1-4 credo at 4x was way to short for me to use on my muzzleloader. Looking at the specs more broadly, many of the LPVOs are ~2.5" of eye relief at max power.

Shraggs

WKR
trijicon, swfa have great scopes in either 1-4 or 1-6. more than adequate for short and long shots.

i think the key is, if at full power, the 4x in 24mm will be a bight brighter, 6x will be less light gathering but you can turn power down to get 6mm of light to the eye to 4x

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm putting together what I'll call more of a "whitetail timber rifle" and I'm looking for a scope on the lower end of the magnification range. Through my research I've been challenged to focus more on the optic's lower end zoom capability for this application - and frankly as I've thought about it, 90% of the whitetails and hogs I've killed in the last 10 years have been inside of 150 yds so I know I could make do with a sub 3x magnification at that range, but would prefer to have a range and not buy fixed power. Throughout my hunting life I've bought into the "buy the biggest magnification you can afford" mindset which is laughable and embarrassing to admit, but it's so dang true in my case.

So, here's where I'm at. I'm researching more in the 1-7x, 2-8x (or similar range), but because I've never owned a scope with a smaller objective (most of these in this range have objectives - at least the ones I've found - in the 20-24MM range) - I'm wondering if that's adequate. And I always say I value function over form, but seeing a 20MM objective on the top of a deer rifle looks a little different to me...again going back to that "bigger is better" mindset I've been fed my whole hunting life. I feel like the magnification range is sufficient, mostly because like I said before, I'm killing deer inside of 100 yards and if I'm zoomed in on my current rifle over 6x I have trouble getting on the deer if he's at 50 (shocker, right?).

For those who hunt mostly in timber (obviously this doesn't apply to just whitetails, but could be bear, or other NA big game), help me out here to validate/invalidate that I'll be good w/a lower power scope, and if you have a recommendation, which direction would you point me? I'll do my due diligence and at the end of the day make my own decision, but would greatly appreciate y'all's thoughts on this topic.

For this application, which again is mostly hunting whitetails in the South, I'm thinking my maximum timber shot may be ~150 yards, and my maximum "field" shot may be between 300-400yds (though this seems less likely because when hunting whitetails I hate sitting on a field and prefer being in the thick stuff where most other hunters in my area won't go to because of the "difficulty" to get there, so I'll take a canoe, hike a couple miles, etc. to get to a good timber hunting area).

To name a few of the scopes I've looked at.
Leupold vx3 1.5-5x20 w/Firedot ret
Leupold vx6 1-6x24
Swaro z6i 1-6x24
Swaro z3 3-9x36
Trijicon credo 1-8x28 (but don't love that it's FFP and reticle would take getting used to), also looked at the 1-6x24 and the 2-10x36
NF - several, but would like to have a recommendation before continuing research...I think the reticles would take some getting used to for me
Im the new proud owner of a ruger ranch x39. I’ve been looking into thick woods scopes for 200 yards max. Im thinking a 3-9 maybe vx3, Huron, or credo. I like to try to keep it simple. I hunted this whole season with my Grendel ar. Woods, planted pines, green fields and power lines. The furthest shot I took was just shy of 350 yards and I never took the power over 7x on the 3-18x50 optika 6. I love the reticle. It’s illuminated but I rarely used it. I felt distracted by having the option to use it. Lol It’s the 4k which is a German #4 with the very center crosshairs illuminated. I wish someone made a 1-6x40+ with a German #4.

Frank Dux

Lil-Rokslider
Let me parrot what I’ve gathered on here and other places after months of looking.

Here’s reliable drop tested scope brands in sub $1500 range.

SWFA
Trijicon

Here’s my summary on each also from what I’ve gathered as far as forum opinions and internet research.

SWFA - Good reliable scope, dials reliably, glass is good enough for hunting use. Warranty seems good, but they are always on backorder so you may or may not be able to get a replacement. However, warranty claims are extremely low. Nice FFP reticles for hunting.

Trijicon - All of the above, with better glass, sometimes much better. Warranty more enthusiastic towards gov contracts per a particular reseller’s comment on here. I haven’t seen anyone complain about the service though. Not as popular as SWFA, probably because of price and mostly SFP reticles. Not as heavy as SWFA or other reliable scopes.

I haven't decided on which Trijicon yet, but the Credo 2.5-15x56 is where I’m leaning. The 3-9x40 Accupoint is a lightweight option and those are well thought of here.

No experience with either, just a gathering of what I’ve collected over last couple months of looking.

Macintosh

WKR
I have the same use case as you—big timber whitetails, shots are more likely to be 50 yards or less, than they are to be 100 yards or more, etc. I have used several low power scopes, nikon monarch, leupold vx3, and still have an old weaver k series. All 1 or 1.5. to 4-5x, small objective lens. They all work, but I have moved to a 2.5-10x scope with capped turrets for a couple reasons—better light gathering, bigger field of view, better able to pick an opening in between a gazillion branches when I have a slower-paced shot, and better for my aging eyes when the occasional longer shot presents itself, without sacrificing field of view for the bulk of my close range application.

My only advice would be to forget about the magnification, and just look at the field of view. You may very well find many 2-2.5x lower mag-range scopes have a field of view as wide as some of the smaller scopes.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
I would say 3x on the very top of the lower end of magnification. I hunt in the deep SE in swamps. 2-10/3-10 is perfect. I would say a 50mm is better than a 40 and gives you more options in the 30mm tube range which also gives you more magnification range. a 2-10x50mm with high light transmission is what you want. Where I hunt, there can sometimes be 30min difference between "dark" in the woods versus the fields. I also have two rifles I hunt with, a field rifle and a woods rifle. Both have appropriate optics for both locations.

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
I would say 3x on the very top of the lower end of magnification. I hunt in the deep SE in swamps. 2-10/3-10 is perfect. I would say a 50mm is better than a 40 and gives you more options in the 30mm tube range which also gives you more magnification range. a 2-10x50mm with high light transmission is what you want. Where I hunt, there can sometimes be 30min difference between "dark" in the woods versus the fields. I also have two rifles I hunt with, a field rifle and a woods rifle. Both have appropriate optics for both locations.
That sounds like the setup I need to have.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
SHV 3-10x42 with illuminated Forceplex. For what you described, and you aren't planning on dialing often, it's hard to beat.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I have a NF 2.5-10x42 sitting on a .308 rifle that works great for me. It's compact and pretty rugged. I've killed deer at ranges of 25 yards out to 300 with it. It's really a pretty versatile scope.