Which tent for backcountry 2013?

Luke, on the SL5 i noticed its elevated off the ground. I assume you can lower it to ground level if you want, but would give up some headroom?

Never been on that site before shane, but its interesting. Looks like some really lightweight gear

shanevg

WKR
Never been on that site before shane, but its interesting. Looks like some really lightweight gear

I have a friend who used it while doing some sections of the PCT this summer and he said he absolutely loved it. Was stuck in it with two guys in the rain for 5 straight days and they never got wet. I'm definitely looking into getting one in the near future.

ctdad

FNG
I have a friend who used it while doing some sections of the PCT this summer and he said he absolutely loved it. Was stuck in it with two guys in the rain for 5 straight days and they never got wet. I'm definitely looking into getting one in the near future.

Which one of their tents did your friend use?

shanevg

WKR
I'm not 100% sure. I'm assuming the Twin Tent as he said it was a 2 person and that is their only 2 person. He said he has the older model and last years model. Next time I talk with him I'm going to get some more info. I am definitely interested in trying one of these tents out!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Luke, on the SL5 i noticed its elevated off the ground. I assume you can lower it to ground level if you want, but would give up some headroom?

Yeah, you can lower it. The higher it is the better you have circulation for condensation and also more headroom. If its really windy staking it down low is the way to go. On uneven terrain just pitch it even lower so its more splayed towards the lower section. For 29 oz for the shelter it is really hard to beat IMO.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great information here guys, thanks for sharing. Just when I think I have my mind made up, something new creeps in my brain. I have a feeling by summer I am going to have about 4 new shelters to play with :)

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
Although I'd love to have the room of a tipi type structure, my Integral Designs Sildome tarp tent and ID Bugaboo Bivy sack have more than met my needs for a couple of years. That said, a tipi tent with a wood stove would be nice on really cold nights, especially when you need to dry your clothing from a hard day's hunt.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That's pretty much what I use in the warmer months (tarp/bivy), but when it gets cold I get the tipi and stove out!
Although I'd love to have the room of a tipi type structure, my Integral Designs Sildome tarp tent and ID Bugaboo Bivy sack have more than met my needs for a couple of years. That said, a tipi tent with a wood stove would be nice on really cold nights, especially when you need to dry your clothing from a hard day's hunt.

Beastmode

WKR
Like Beastmode I like my Copper spur so far but will at sometime get the Atko. No problems with the BA so far and weight isn't that bad.Bob.

I honestly don't think the copper spur gets the attention it deserves. Great tent for a 3 season tent, if that suits your needs I would definitely consider this tent.