Which tent for backcountry 2013?

S

Salmo-Priest

Guys I'm loving this thing. Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo. I actually have the 2010 version. But am gonna grab the 2012 ASAP for my kid

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/LunarSolo.html

Haven't had it in a big snow storm yet but has seen high wind and rain. It sets up really fast and easy. Plenty of room for me my pack and rifle inside. Can leave pack and boots under vestibule if I like. Pretty well vented and Condensation has not bothered me at all. Love it!

Bringing this back up... one thing I'm coming to terms with is I want the ability to have a stove and sleep two people and gear and not be overly heavy for summer scouting trips solo. That SO BCS is looking really nice. 2lbs 2oz for just the canopy. Using a trekking pole with extender at 2-4 oz and 8 tent stakes at 4 oz you're looking at a great shelter for 2.5 lbs. Not as light as a tarp but features cost weight and i think it could be a great compromise and awesome shelter.

Mike

Mike, use one of SO nests and you get a floor, stove and a good shelter.

I've thought about that. However the one thing i'm thinking is oftentimes there will be two people in the shelter and I would rather have two bivvies instead of two nests (not going to pack a two person nest when solo). And can also throw the bivy in the pack as an emergency shelter. Just trying to be as versatile as possible with as little gear as possible.

Mike

Lawnboi

WKR
anyone who has that bcs deal.

Hows it in 360 degrees of wind? Im looking for a 2man shelter that I can setup and not have to worry about moving based on wind direction for days on end.

luke moffat

Super Moderator

Hows it in 360 degrees of wind? Im looking for a 2man shelter that I can setup and not have to worry about moving based on wind direction for days on end.

Being as the BCS is fully enclosed, I had no issues with it so long as its staked out properly no matter what wind direction it is common from.

Wrongside

WKR

It does well, considering how tall it is. As Luke mentioned, properly pitched, staked and guyed helps a bunch.

Kifsru sawtooth, para tipi, or 6 man tipi can be pitched and not worry about the wind

Wrongside

WKR
Bringing this back up... one thing I'm coming to terms with is I want the ability to have a stove and sleep two people and gear and not be overly heavy for summer scouting trips solo. That SO BCS is looking really nice. 2lbs 2oz for just the canopy. Using a trekking pole with extender at 2-4 oz and 8 tent stakes at 4 oz you're looking at a great shelter for 2.5 lbs. Not as light as a tarp but features cost weight and i think it could be a great compromise and awesome shelter.

Mike

The BCS does what you spec very well, IME.

Not sure I'd be comfortable using it with a trekking pole and extender like you mentioned though. It's a pretty large shelter for that, IMO, and a 'real' pole helps with my confidence level. Even at that, through sleeping too soundly and a very heavy (8-12"), wet overnight snowfall, I actually had one of the SO CF poles bust from snow load.

Lawnboi

WKR
It does well, considering how tall it is. As Luke mentioned, properly pitched, staked and guyed helps a bunch.

With the add in panel, what holds that on? I don't really understand how that works. If it just goes in there with Velcro or something like a K tarp and annex I think ill go with the sawtooth or tipi.

That's one of the biggest factors in choosing a heavier 2 person heated shelter. I need to be able to set it up for a week and not worry about wind changing direction.
Im trying to save the weight, but Im leaning twards a k tipi based only on the fact that it has 2 doors and I know it will stand up to wind from any and all directions

Wrongside

WKR
It zips in, with velcro for the storm flaps.

Sometimes 2 doors would be nice, but it comes with the downside of extra weight. One nice thing about the BCS door, not that I take advantage of it very often, is that you can use it from either side.

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
With the add-in panel you can have two doors in the BCS. They are both at the front and are close together but with two guys each person has a door they can use without having to step over the other guy.

Lawnboi

WKR
Hmm maybe the BCS is an option then. I still don't think it will handle the wind a tipi will but it would save me a considerable amount of weight and money

Hmm maybe the BCS is an option then. I still don't think it will handle the wind a tipi will but it would save me a considerable amount of weight and money

Eh maybe it'll do better than you think... Here's a link to a pretty good review and they talk about it withstanding some pretty good sustained winds and with the correct pitch not really have to worry about wind direction.

http://hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/tab...id/1176/scope/posts/threadpage/1/Default.aspx

Mike

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Did you keep that BCS Luke?

Mike

No Mike I didn't. I really like the design/setup. However due to the fact that Becca and I couple our bags and pads together the SL-5 floor layout actuallys yields more useable space for us than the BCS does and does so with a lighter shelter. That said if my main hunting partner was another dude and couple bags/pads was strictly prohibited then the BCS would be a shelter hard to beat for what you describe.

Hope that helps.

luke moffat

Super Moderator

Unless you are camping on exposed ridgelines and open terrain the BCS will handle anything you can throw at it. I tend to try to camp in as much cover as possible regardless of the shelter I have. There are times I have had to pitch on more exposed locations than I desired, and then had to move to a more protected camping locale. Being as you are in WI I and trees are aplenty this shouldn't be much of a problem there and when you come west the BCS will handle everything my SL-5 does and I've run that sucker through a truck load of different scenarios with no problems.