Which suppressor?

Thunderbeasts are legit. I’m a fan of the quality. The precision and repeatability for hunting is why I like them. I really like my Dominus. Plan to get a magnus sometime in the future.

Lawnboi

WKR
I think you're misinterpreting my questioning. I never implied it was marketing. I'm just trying to understand the added cost. Is cleaning a suppressor required often and is titanium that much easier than steel? I've fired exactly 3 rounds through a suppressor in my life. That's where my experience ends. It was on a 25 yard indoor range while my paperwork waits to clear. I probably won't fire it again until it next fall. In the mean time I will probably at least order one more for .22LR, and maybe a second in .30 cal

From some quick research online it seems most people agree larger rifle caliber suppressors don't need cleaning and some carbon actually makes them more quiet?

While I don’t think you have to clean for most users (people who shoot a few hundred rounds a year maybe) They do gain weight. I have no interest in leaving ounces of carbon in my cans, and while I don’t clean often I do every thousand rounds or so depending on what caliber I’m shooting.

Actually thunderbeast has videos of cans with a lot of carbon in them metered before they clean them. Most companies are coming out and saying that you should clean or just accept that carbon will add weight and potentially rob performance eventually.

For example the gemtech can I have, I have no idea how I’m going to clean it. Clr is the go to for titanium and works well. Beyond that I havnt used any cleaners that make carbon go away quickly. Bore tech came out with a suppressor cleaning system but it’s a pretty penny.

I also have a take apart can by griffin. It’s easier to clean a sealed can with clr than it is to clean a take apart can made of steel. I hate cleaning carbon off stuff.

I understand what you’re saying re thunderbeast, but they get crapped on pretty good and for no apparent reason. The price they command is competitive with every other titanium can on the market.

If you're happy with your can then there should be no need to validate that.
What? Man this is a weird convo. I'm not trying to validate anything, I'm trying to learn. I'm happy with the one I have but like I said above I don't have any experience with suppressors. You don't know what you don't know right? So far I haven't really heard a convincing argument for titanium...

While I don’t think you have to clean for most users (people who shoot a few hundred rounds a year maybe) They do gain weight. I have no interest in leaving ounces of carbon in my cans, and while I don’t clean often I do every thousand rounds or so depending on what caliber I’m shooting.

Actually thunderbeast has videos of cans with a lot of carbon in them metered before they clean them. Most companies are coming out and saying that you should clean or just accept that carbon will add weight and potentially rob performance eventually.

For example the gemtech can I have, I have no idea how I’m going to clean it. Clr is the go to for titanium and works well. Beyond that I havnt used any cleaners that make carbon go away quickly. Bore tech came out with a suppressor cleaning system but it’s a pretty penny.

I also have a take apart can by griffin. It’s easier to clean a sealed can with clr than it is to clean a take apart can made of steel. I hate cleaning carbon off stuff.

I understand what you’re saying re thunderbeast, but they get crapped on pretty good and for no apparent reason. The price they command is competitive with every other titanium can on the market.
I appreciate the detailed response. I'm looking to buy a .22LR can today and have been doing a lot of reading on cleaning them so this is directly pertinent to what I'm about to spend money on. It seems like the Takedown 22 or the Mask from Dead Air are two of the best options and worth the extra money over a Warlock II or Sparrow.

Lawnboi

WKR
I appreciate the detailed response. I'm looking to buy a .22LR can today and have been doing a lot of reading on cleaning them so this is directly pertinent to what I'm about to spend money on. It seems like the Takedown 22 or the Mask from Dead Air are two of the best options and worth the extra money over a Warlock II or Sparrow.
Rimfire is a whole different ball of wax when it comes to cleaning. They seem a little easier to clean. Baked on carbon is my nemesis, I hate it with a passion. Last years match rifle brake had more carbon than metal between the baffles and took months of soaking and chipping to remove with bore tech c4. I’d rather clean my ultra 7. I hate carbon.

I got a takedown 22, as my second rimfire can, well because I was a fan of how TBAC did business and wanted another can. Something to keep in mind between the mask and takedown 22 is thread length. The dead air will handle threads longer than .4” the thunderbeast may not. Could be a problem depending on the host you’re going to use.

Lawnboi

WKR
I'm not criticizing them at all. Similarities to Yeti:

1. name recognition
2. devoted fans
3. original products greatly outperformed the alternatives on the market
4. premium materials, components and pricing
5. business competition that is squeezing hard on performance or cost, and sometimes both.

I don't own yeti, I probably won't own TBAC, but it doesn't make them bad in any way.
I understand what you’re saying but I’ll point out a few things and be a TBAC fanboy for a second. Not meant as an attack just what Iv seen from the specific company.

1. They don’t advertise much, you won’t see them pop up in your social media feed. They have a backlog of suppressors, they don’t need to. Name recognition comes from them being a good preforming suppressor along with supporting many shooters participating in shooting sports. And before the anti prs crowd comes they support more than just prs. My states club matches have had certs on the prize tables from them. They are supporting shooters down to the little guy like me shooting one day matches. Something I appreciate and something not every suppressor company is doing.

2. Companies that don’t market don’t keep fans for no reason.

3. Apples to apples. We can’t compare an ultra 7 at 10oz 1.5” diameter and 7” to a Cgs Hyperion at 16oz, 1.8” and 9”. TBAC has created cans that are direct competition to 1.8” popular cans coming out like the nomad LT and CGS. There’s different sized cans for a reason and there always will be.

4. Most fully titanium cans are similar in price. Some of TBAC offerings do demand a premium but in reality are not far off from the competition.

5. Again as above. They are competitive and price and continue to push their products to be better. I don’t see how someone can fault them. The ultra line took an upgrade. 338 line the same. They created a big bastard 30 cal can to compete with the hyperions and nomad LTs. They appear to be pushing it like many others.

Plus yeti is made overseas. Thunderbeast is made in Wyoming.

On top of that they openly post sound tests with others cans in which their cans dont always come out on top. That says alot.

They don’t deserve the flack they get.

Last edited:

Tex68w

WKR
What? Man this is a weird convo. I'm not trying to validate anything, I'm trying to learn. I'm happy with the one I have but like I said above I don't have any experience with suppressors. You don't know what you don't know right? So far I haven't really heard a convincing argument for titanium...

I think that the pros and cons of TBAC have more than been covered in these four pages. I own a dozen or more cans, direct thread and QD, steel and titanium, sealed and those that can be broken down, each has a specific purpose and usually a dedicated host. As far as light weight bolt gun cans go TBAC is one of the very best options out there, this isn't just my opinion, it's shared by many in the industry due to the reasons listed in this thread.

If you want an all-around can that will be used on multiple hosts in different ways/uses then there are a multitude of QD cans out there that are much better suited for the job. Another stellar option for a hunting/long range bolt gun is KGM Technologies, they have exploded onto the scene in recent years and while I don't personally own any I have a few buddies who compete at the highest levels and they vouch for them whole heartedly. Lots of great options out there at multiple different price points, but one can't simply see things based on price, you get what you pay for in the gun world. A wise man once said "Price is what you pay, value is what you get."

Longleaf

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for my 1st suppressors. I want one for a 308 and 6.5 CM. This is for hunting and I want to be in the 7” area. I want a good compromise for weight, size, sound suppression, and recoil reduction. I am debating a harvester EVO and a nomad 30. It will be dedicated to 1 gun so I am thinking direct thread. Want to keep it under $1000. What do you think?
I would go with the lightest can that fits your criteria. They’re still loud shooting long strings of fire. My next can will most likely be the 5” tbac

Longleaf

Lil-Rokslider
I think that the pros and cons of TBAC have more than been covered in these four pages. I own a dozen or more cans, direct thread and QD, steel and titanium, sealed and those that can be broken down, each has a specific purpose and usually a dedicated host. As far as light weight bolt gun cans go TBAC is one of the very best options out there, this isn't just my opinion, it's shared by many in the industry due to the reasons listed in this thread.

If you want an all-around can that will be used on multiple hosts in different ways/uses then there are a multitude of QD cans out there that are much better suited for the job. Another stellar option for a hunting/long range bolt gun is KGM Technologies, they have exploded onto the scene in recent years and while I don't personally own any I have a few buddies who compete at the highest levels and they vouch for them whole heartedly. Lots of great options out there at multiple different price points, but one can't simply see things based on price, you get what you pay for in the gun world. A wise man once said "Price is what you pay, value is what you get."
My last can was a KGM 6.5, 10oz? And it has zero poi shift. I haven’t messed with the adjustable ports on the end but pew science showed no change in decibel readings. No matter what can I shoot my ears ring after 3 shots.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My last can was a KGM 6.5, 10oz? And it has zero poi shift. I haven’t messed with the adjustable ports on the end but pew science showed no change in decibel readings. No matter what can I shoot my ears ring after 3 shots.
My banish 30 dosent have any POI shift either but according to people who don’t have one it does.