Which Nightforce Scope?

eperro

FNG
Looking for recommendations on which Nightforce Scope to get as I am new to them and coming from the land of Leupold. Suggestions, pros, cons.

It will be put on a 300 WM and used out to 600 yds on deer and elk. I also shoot out to 1000 at my local range. I am using MOA. The ATACR is off the table due to price. Thanks

Looking for recommendations on which Nightforce Scope to get as I am new to them and coming from the land of Leupold. Suggestions, pros, cons.

It will be put on a 300 WM and used out to 600 yds on deer and elk. I also shoot out to 1000 at my local range. I am using MOA. The ATACR is off the table due to price. Thanks
I think you would like one of the NX8 series, they are the lightest scope for the magnification range, I have both the 2.5-20. But if you want more magnification the 4-32 is basically same weight.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

SloppyJ

WKR
If the 4x32 NX8 is within your budget, I'd go there. I have a 2.5x20 and due to how compact it is, I had to file my front rail to get it back to where it needed to be. The 4x32 should solve that problem on a long action.

Yeah it gets weird trying to mount the 2.5-20, but the 4-32x50 sfp has become my favorite optic. And I too came from the land of the Leupold

OP
E

eperro

FNG
Couple votes for nx8 and a couple for the nxs. Is the warranty good if you need? Any other real world experience between the two.

Last edited:

Lv2000

FNG
I think you would like one of the NX8 series, they are the lightest scope for the magnification range, I have both the 2.5-20. But if you want more magnification the 4-32 is basically same weight.
I would do a nx8 personally

Boltgun

FNG
NX8 2-20 here. The chief complaint you’ll hear regarding the NX8 is the finicky eye box, but I have not found it tricky at all, and I hate tight eye boxes.

Also would not want any more magnification. I’ve taken it out to a mile and 20x was plenty.

Reactions: Duh

mjspeers

Lil-Rokslider
NX8 4-32. I have owned every moa version of the NX8. I am mostly indifferent to SFP vs FFP. But I n this optic I prefer FFP. Subtensions in the SFP are set to 1moa at 16x and half at 32. I also prefer a crosshair for shoot animals which the FFP has. The dot on the SFP is fine for paper but not game, at least to my eyes.

Axlrod

WKR
Couple votes for nx8 and a couple for the nxs. Is the warranty good if you need? Any other real world experience between the two.
Which NX8 are you looking at? If it's the 2nd focal plane your reticle options are limited to either mil cf2 or moa cf2. I would look at the available reticles for whichever scope you are wanting, and make sure it's something you like.

I have some each of the NX8, NXS,SHV, and ATACR. As far as warranty all I can say Is I'm pretty sure they have one, but I have zero experience using it.

djewell87

FNG
Love my NX8 4-32 for weight to features and price it fit the bill for my new rifle. The eye relief isn't such an issue on the 4-32 models

No love for the SHV? $900 for the 5 x 20 x 56 Europtics. I absoLUTEly love mine. One on 6.5 and one on 300WM. I have never seen a scope do so well in low light. I don’t look through the super high dollar scopes. Don’t want to know. I’ve been using the SHV for 6 or 8 years now and could not be happier.

Duh

WKR
I have the 4-32 FFP and the 2.5-20 FFP. I prefer the 4-32 at this point in time.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Following.

I'm also considering a Nightforce vs. Trijicon Tenmile.

But I truthfully don't know the difference between the various models of Nightforce (NSX, NX8, SHV, etc.) They all seem to look the same to me, except for the different reticals, different magnification levels, MIL v MOA and SFP vs FFP....

It will also be for a 300 Win Mag for hunting. I would prefer 4-16x or 4-18x and First Focal. I dont dial my distance and prefer to shoot hold overs to keep it simple.

I am concerned and would like caps or locking dials so the windage/elevation don't get knocked in a scabbard or just walking in the woods.

Yeah I know I could put electrical tape over the dials but for the $2k price I'd prefer it have everything I'm looking for.

The old SHV had caps. I just bought a new on that does not. You can probably find an older used one with caps. I don't dial either, just use reticle. If you get First Focal Plane, that reticle gets awful large and bulky after about 400 yards.
SHV has the same glass as NXS. I think the only up side for NXS is if you do a whole lot of dialing.
I haven't spent the money on an ATACR yet, maybe someday.
You can usually find a SHV at Europtic for $900 "new in open box".
MIL or MOA is personal preference. For me, I find the MOA MUCH easier to use. 1 MOA is 1 inch at 100 yards. I can't imagine what the up side would be for MIL. But a lot of people use it and swear by it.
I'm sure there are better scopes out there. But the NF SHV is incredible. And appears to be indestructible. Lord knows I'm rough on stuff. My oldest one is quite battered up, but works the same as it did the day I took it out the box.
SUPER good in low light. At about 2 lbs you know it's there. But I wouldn't trade mine for anything.