Which Hilleberg??

Bulldawg

WKR
Pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger for hunting season but I am unsure which one to go with. I think I am going to go with a yellow label so I have been thinking about going between the Anjan GT or the Rogen.

Anybody have experience with these two? I can't decide between freestanding or not. Bugs have been so bad this year I don't think I'm gonna go with my floorless.

AXEL

WKR
I am a total Hille fanboy, have a 2009 Saivo, best HD tent I have EVER used, by FAR.

I had two Soulos, red and green, strong, but, not quite what I wanted, sold. I sold all my other tents and bought a Niak, last month and love it. I am seriously considering a Jannu, and if I sell more guns, will get one.

IMHO, Hillebergs are THE BEST tents and worth the substantial costs, especially in BC late season mountain weather.

mtrecon

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Hilleberg Akto during scouting since I don't stay in one place more than a night. I've got the anjan gt for hunting as I usually stay in one place multiple nights. Lots of room, great in rain, snow and wnd. I know the anjan is rated a 3 season, but a good pad, bag and it's a 4 season tent for me. It vents better than most. Hard to beat Hilleberg tents.

EastMT

WKR
We bought the Hallo 3 GT for sheep season, it's stout! Weight wise it's about 7 lbs with stakes. I weighed my REI Halfdome 2+ and it was 6lbs with no stakes, so for the extra I'll take the bombproof one and extra room. They are not cheap but the fabric is just on a different level than the $250 ones I have and has a nice area for gear out of the weather.

OP
Bulldawg

Bulldawg

WKR
I know I want a hilleberg and I know how bomb proof they are I just can't decide which one to get.

Akicita

WKR
Between the two you have in mind get the Rogen. I have a Tarra and Jannu. I have spent a lot of nights in an Anjan, Soulu, Atko, Nammajt, Saivo and Staika. . . My favorite is the Staika because it is free standing.

RZxPVqb.png

I know I want a hilleberg and I know how bomb proof they are I just can't decide which one to get.

Judging by the two tents you are looking at I am assuming you want a 2man? Something light and packable?

If I am guessing correctly, my next question would be solo or truly for 2 guys?

If you're going 1 man solo I would buy the anjan 2 and skip the GT to save the 8-10 oz that extra pole and vestibule, plus keep a smaller footprint. I have the Anjan 3man and its just enough for two guys and gear... I think for solo the 2 man GT would be overkill.

I love my Anjan because of how fast it sets up and how well it vents. With two guys in my Anjan 3 I have never had condensation issues. So solo, I think you will like how well it breathes. It also literally sets up in 2-3 mins. Stake out 4 corner, run two poles, stake out guy lines, tighten it down, unzip the vestibule and dive in. Super super simple.

I chose the Anjan for early long and deep trips for summer scouting and September hunting. The footprint is small so you can set it up in most places, and you don't have to worry too much about winds when you are up high. If you're wanting something more versatile to lead you into later season, you might want to look at the Nallo. Light, fast, and simple...the Anjan has been great for me.

I am looking at the Rogen right now, and that one looks cool too, just heavier. I don't think you could go wrong if you're looking for something light, simple and strong for 3 season use.

MTNRCHR

Lil-Rokslider
I have a rogan and am extremely happy with it. Plenty of room for myself and if need be another person. I have had it 3 yrs. on hunts ranging from AK spring brown bear hunts to sept. dall sheep hunts to fall Colorado elk hunts.

AXEL

WKR
Size and weight seem very close, but, the NIAK with it's crossed poles seems stronger under snow loads to me and I also found this with my two original Integral Designs GT tents with crossed poles and the original Bibler Solo Dome and Early Winters Light Dimension tents I had. They were OK under some snow loads, but, the IDs were obviously better in that regard and given that I live in one of the wettest, snowiest regions anywhere and have used various tents camping for extensive periods in heavy snowfalls, that is important to me.

OP
Bulldawg

Bulldawg

WKR
I will be using it solo and for two people that's why I have chosen the ones with the larger vestibules. I do want them to be lighter and packable for a solo hunt and I won't need it later in the season, I like to go flourless but the mosquitos have been terrible this year and I would like to have a floored shelter.

Judging by the two tents you are looking at I am assuming you want a 2man? Something light and packable?

If I am guessing correctly, my next question would be solo or truly for 2 guys?

If you're going 1 man solo I would buy the anjan 2 and skip the GT to save the 8-10 oz that extra pole and vestibule, plus keep a smaller footprint. I have the Anjan 3man and its just enough for two guys and gear... I think for solo the 2 man GT would be overkill.

I love my Anjan because of how fast it sets up and how well it vents. With two guys in my Anjan 3 I have never had condensation issues. So solo, I think you will like how well it breathes. It also literally sets up in 2-3 mins. Stake out 4 corner, run two poles, stake out guy lines, tighten it down, unzip the vestibule and dive in. Super super simple.

I chose the Anjan for early long and deep trips for summer scouting and September hunting. The footprint is small so you can set it up in most places, and you don't have to worry too much about winds when you are up high. If you're wanting something more versatile to lead you into later season, you might want to look at the Nallo. Light, fast, and simple...the Anjan has been great for me.

I will be using it solo and for two people that's why I have chosen the ones with the larger vestibules. I do want them to be lighter and packable for a solo hunt and I won't need it later in the season, I like to go flourless but the mosquitos have been terrible this year and I would like to have a floored shelter.

I hear ya...they are both 4lb 10oz so for what you described, and for you wanting it to be a two man shelter, I would get the Rogen to get the two vestibules so you both have your own space. The space in the Anjan GT will be huge, but having your own area to organize and put your stuff is pretty nice.