Which headlamp do you recommend?

I definitely don’t want a rechargeable. My Garmin Montana GPS has a rechargeable battery pack and once it’s dead I go to batteries. Keep in mind that most answers to gear questions have to do with the type of hunting the person does. I’m primarily an elk hunter. I have no way to recharge batteries. And if a rechargeable dies on the mountain I’m really screwed. Also I don’t want to be opening up my headlamp to flip a battery around because it doesn’t have a lock. I know there are brighter models out there. But my BD Spot is plenty bright enough and it has all of the functions I could possibly want. I have no reason to try anything else. I’m a fan of their trekking poles too. Black Diamond has EXCELLENT customer service which also has a value to me.

rob86jeep

WKR
I definitely don’t want a rechargeable. My Garmin Montana GPS has a rechargeable battery pack and once it’s dead I go to batteries. Keep in mind that most answers to gear questions have to do with the type of hunting the person does. I’m primarily an elk hunter. I have no way to recharge batteries. And if a rechargeable dies on the mountain I’m really screwed. Also I don’t want to be opening up my headlamp to flip a battery around because it doesn’t have a lock. I know there are brighter models out there. But my BD Spot is plenty bright enough and it has all of the functions I could possibly want. I have no reason to try anything else. I’m a fan of their trekking poles too. Black Diamond has EXCELLENT customer service which also has a value to me.
With a Zebralight you can always just carry a spare battery (even though the batteries are rechargeable) and you can just leave the tail cap unscrewed a little to prevent it from turning on in your pack. Then it fits all the requirements of your BD Spot but has a WAY brighter/further light when needed and is more customizable. The only downsides are the price and learning curve, but when has that ever stopped a hunter from buying something...

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved

portable chargers/solar is a helluva thing. keeps all my devices charged and ready to go for those over-7+ day trips.

mcseal2

WKR
I like the Black Diamond Revolt. For back-up I have a Streamlight Microstream rechargeable flashlight in my bino harness.

Both my cell phone I use for OnX and the battery pack I have in my pack for all the rechargeable stuff have lights built into them also in a pinch.

Ulysses23

FNG
I’ve always preferred Black Diamond. My only complaint with the Storm is that the housing itself has enough weight to cause it to sag and the strap to loosen. Nothing a little tape can’t fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

406unltd

WKR
I’m a big fan of Princeton Tec. I’ve used them for a long time. Lots of options to choose from.

T28w

WKR
For the guys recommending the zebra light, which one. There’s like twenty diff ones. I didn’t see much on the website talking about the diff color light and the diff models. Im thinking about a rechargeable flood type headlamp but need some more info.

I’m I correct in that the price doesn’t include the battery so it is $20 on top of the $80 for the light?

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Have had good luck with Black Diamond (not sure which one).Going on year 7. Great light cast distance when setting up the decoy spread.

Zebralight, nitecore, or Fenix!!!!

Do the tube style headlamp. They are bombproof and will last. They also have an SOS flash built in that uses the 1000 lumen brightness... Awesome. For a "lock" on the on/off, I just loosen the cap enough to disengage the battery. It remains waterproof even with it disengaged. On brightness level 2 with my nitecore hc30, it's plenty bright and lasts for months.

Zebralight is more pricey than nitecore, but apparently their QC is a little better? I have had zero issues with my nitecore and I love it. I've also not heard of anyone having an issue with a nitecore.

I carry a spare battery because they're so light and then I don't have to use my battery pack for it.

For the guys recommending the zebra light, which one. There’s like twenty diff ones. I didn’t see much on the website talking about the diff color light and the diff models. Im thinking about a rechargeable flood type headlamp but need some more info.

I’m I correct in that the price doesn’t include the battery so it is $20 on top of the $80 for the light?

I use the neutral white (its more of a sunlight color rather than a bluish white - think old flashlights or car headlights), and I like the floody beam. It doesn't have quite the throw as the regular one (H600), but the beam is completely even across the whole area and there is no hot spot in the center. Once in a while a little more throw would be nice, but its really nice when working in front of you (breaking down an animal, doing mechanic work, etc) to have a nice even beam.

More info here: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/need-some-help-picking-a-zebralight-headlamp-please.181402/

And you are correct about the battery - it is not included. I have been running the green Panasonic NCRs for several years (japanese made), and they can be bought off ebay for like $15 for a two pack.

+1 for the BD Storm. I'm on my third (first one I lost, second one I just wanted to upgrade to the lighter/brighter new gen Storm) and they're fantastic. I use it for mountain rescue as well and it's bomber.

As mentioned the Zebralight pretty much blows everything I personally have ever tested out of the water. I've been using them for about 8 years now. The 18650 batteries last a long time even on high and I carry 4 which are considerably lighter than regular disposable batteries. I use the H600 and Neutral White. I love the multiple power settings that are easy to cycle through. If you don't want to give up your back country location at night, I would not turn it on high - you can see that from more than a mile away.

Note that all Zebralights go from blinding blazing high to sub lumen moonlight mode and everything in between. They all essentially are set to size preset levels that you can customize however you want. Press and hold cycles through the three main levels. Double click each main level for an alternate level (that you set). Click once for high. Press and hold a second or so for the faintest moonlight that you desire. I program mine opposite for camp lights. Click once for moonlight. Press and hold for mid. Click twice for highest. All have strobe by pressing 3 clicks.

Batteries are only about $5 - $6. Buy the non-protected batteries. Zebralight has built in protection, so you don't need protected batteries. Buy the big four brands from reputable online battery sellers like BatteryWarehouse.

Sanyo, Samsung, Panasonic-NCR, Sony

Specific models (none of these cost more than $8, and the average is closer to $5):
- Sony VTC6 18650 3000mAh 15A Battery (with 15 amp capability, will support very bright lights)
- Samsung 30Q 18650 3000mAh 15A Battery
- Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh 4.9A Battery (still powers most lights, but has more capacity and lower self-discharge)
- Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500mAh 10A Battery

You can look up battery life versus setting for every light on the Zebralight website. I use my lights for weeks without changing batteries. On a hunting trip, using your light at night, as they are intended, you will run on low for hiking, ultralow for finding stuff in the tent at night. You'll get about 17 days running NONSTOP on low (which you would never do), and 5.4 months nonstop on ultralow (moonlight mode).

"Floody" version of Zebralight is what I recommend. Flood works better for close up work, and floody gives a good combination of flood plus spot. Get a "high CRI" version. High CRI reproduces natural colors much more accurately. Floody lights are all designated H600Fx (where X = color temperature of the light). Flood are all designated H604x, and the more throwy lights are designated H600x.

I recommend high CRI is 4000K tint (X = C). That will be warm and very accurately render colors. That leave you with only two choices to ponder:

H600Fc Mk IV 18650 - FLOODY 1568 lumens: Good combination of throw plus spill. Best for closer work, trail walking, camp chores. Ultra accurate color rendition. Floody beam from frosted lens, with 90 degree beam spread.

H600c Mk IV 18650 - THROW, 1616 lumens: More throw with a decent amount of spill. Can be used around camp, but really "shines" for further distances, like search and rescue, spotting game, etc. Excellent color rendition. 17 degree hotspot, 80 degree spill.

Color comparison between the H600Fc (4000K) and H600Fd (5000K). Many beginners like the bright white, but after using the warmer tint of the 4000K, I hate it. Love the more natural tint of the Fc. You may prefer the more white version. Both will give you excellent color rendering, and the whiter light will be slightly brighter.
Fc vs Fd.jpg

FLOOD vs FLOODY Zebralights. First light he shows is the FLOOD (H604c). Second is my recommendation, the H600Fc. You can see you get almost no throw with the flood version, but both throw and spill for close and far work with the H600Fc. The camera actually suppresses the actual flood in the second light. It does a fantastic job up close, a very good job at midrange, and not so good after about 100 yards. But it's not made for long distance. Excellent camp and hiking light.

Last edited:
One more comment about Zebralights. They weigh 1.4 oz! Yes, less than two ounces. Less than the weight of the spare battery. I carry a second Zebralight instead of a spare battery holder, which gives me two awesome lights with full redundancy. They are about $90, so buying two is not for everyone. But they work so well, it's amazing. A single 18650 in a Zebralight carries the same capacity as 5 new AA alkalines. That's a lot of juice, which translates to piece of mind when it comes to your backcountry lighting needs.

I HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH ZEBRALIGHT. I do, however, own more than 10 of them. :giggle:🔦🔦🔦🔦🔦🔦🔦🔦🔦🔦🔦🔦

Last edited: