Which Half ton Pick ups are yall driving?

Dgregory

FNG
‘19 Ram 1500 - mostly use it around town but with the off road package it’s got every option I could want for my hunts so I’ve got little worry about ever getting stuck out in the woods or the desert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
2018 F150 Lariat. Think I got a lemon, but it’s a POS. Bought it in 2021 with 37k miles. First 52 weeks I owned it, it spent 7 of em in the shop for 4 different issues. Also, everything on it is ungodly expensive. Cracked tail light - 2 weeks shop time and $3k. Alternator - 9 days shop time, $2k.
I would’ve looked more into doing these myself, but it was all under extended warranty. Haven’t had to pay for any of the fixes myself, but not having a car for 7 weeks out of the year is a real pain in the ass. I’m going Toyota or Nissan next time, done with some of the design on my Ford.

design beefs for those who care:

Cracked tail light - caused ALL electronic accessory power to go out. No stereo, AC, windows, seat, mirrors, steering wheel. Nothing. The blind spot module is linked with all of your accessories. When it fried because water got in through the crack, nothing worked.

Alternator - warning message didn’t say battery not charging, just said low battery. I was driving down the interstate when it happened, so I figured no big deal - I’ll pull into advanced auto when I get off the interstate and get a new battery. Couple minutes go by and the whole truck dies… no power, no gauges, no power steering and my favorite - the E brake comes on. Going 75 down the interstate. Talked to Ford about it and they said since the E brake is electronic, it’s held OPEN by a voltage. When you engage the E brake, it drops the voltage and puts on the brake. Well when your battery isn’t charging driving down the interstate, apparently it lets it get to a low enough voltage to trigger the e brake before killing the truck.

Just haven’t been thrilled with it

prm

WKR
‘15 F150 3.5eb with over 175k. A few minor things but overall very happy. Probably buy another.

JjamesIII

WKR
Hi all,

Interested in what half ton pick ups yall are driving, what issues your having and what youd buy today if you were getting a new truck.

My 7.3 was stolen and now I have to figure out what to replace it with. I am reading issues about all the new trucks and dont know what to get.

Reliable, 4x4 and a 6.5’ bed are my only requirements as of now
Silverado 2017- sucks! Like run away- don’t even consider this model. Numerous problems (hubs, rear end noise, electric issues….) even though I treat it like a pavement princess. The major problem was the transmission took a shit just after 100k. I know of six other people personally, that have catastrophic transmission failures on Silverados. It’s so common that there should probably be a class action suit against Chevrolet. They are aware of the issue but do not recall them. Never again for Chevy. Probably Toyota for my next one.

AKmatt

FNG
I’ve got a 2013 f150 with the FX4 package. 5.0 V8. It just rolled over 100,000 miles. Not a single issue with it.

tbotts

FNG
i like my 99 Chevy Silverado. I hope you can eventually get your stolen truck back in good shape.

Gwchem

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for the Tundra. Got 177k on my '03 and just ordered a '23 after test driving/researching them all
I'm curious what research you're doing, can you enlighten me? I'm ready to buy a new truck, but everything I'm reading says the tundras are still suffering from turbo/engine failures.

Hi all,

Interested in what half ton pick ups yall are driving, what issues your having and what youd buy today if you were getting a new truck.

My 7.3 was stolen and now I have to figure out what to replace it with. I am reading issues about all the new trucks and dont know what to get.

Reliable, 4x4 and a 6.5’ bed are my only requirements as of now
I have absolutely loved my '15 Silverado 1500 4x4 x-cab since the day I bought it. I got it with 16k on it in 2016 and now have 231k on it. All I've done is change the oil and just 3 months ago replaced the brake pads. That's it. I just now put a 4th set of tires on it. The 2nd and 3rd sets got over 80k each, which tells me how good the alignment is.

Mine is the 4.3L V6 and only years after I bought it did I learn this was one of Chevy's most reliable motors ever. I can certainly understand that now.

Did I mention I love my truck? :D

They will have to pry it out of my hands someday.

ODB

WKR
2021 Tundra. Great truck that I drove home (to Boise) from Pocatello last night in 2wd the whole way including that idiotic section of blizzard conditions at Glenn’s Ferry.

Say what you will about the nannys on todays trucks but they effing work.

And 19.5 mpg to boot.

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody got any reliability and personal feedback on a current Chevy 6.2 engine in the Silverado 1500? That's what I'm looking at long term.

Gbrecka

Lil-Rokslider
2020 f-150 5.0 L. Had a service bulletin for oil consumption, so watching it closely

Ucsdryder

WKR
Anybody got any reliability and personal feedback on a current Chevy 6.2 engine in the Silverado 1500? That's what I'm looking at long term.
Don’t look past the 3.0 duramax in a newer chevy. The fuel mileage is awesome.

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t look past the 3.0 duramax in a newer chevy. The fuel mileage is awesome.
I've had a modern diesel (3 years ago) and I have zero interest in owning one again. I know its right for some people, just not for me. Gassers only for me going forward.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
Silverado 2017- sucks! Like run away- don’t even consider this model. Numerous problems (hubs, rear end noise, electric issues….) even though I treat it like a pavement princess. The major problem was the transmission took a shit just after 100k. I know of six other people personally, that have catastrophic transmission failures on Silverados. It’s so common that there should probably be a class action suit against Chevrolet. They are aware of the issue but do not recall them. Never again for Chevy. Probably Toyota for my next one.
I traded my 2017 Silverado in last year after fixing the transmission. Went out, fixed it and less than 6 months later it was doing it again. Truthfully I don’t think the dealership fixed it right the first time but I couldn’t trust it again on another road trip.
Everything I read says the 16-18 have issues with the torque converter going bad and putting metal into the transmission.

I traded my 2017 Silverado in last year after fixing the transmission. Went out, fixed it and less than 6 months later it was doing it again. Truthfully I don’t think the dealership fixed it right the first time but I couldn’t trust it again on another road trip.
Everything I read says the 16-18 have issues with the torque converter going bad and putting metal into the transmission.
was this a 6 speed or a 8 speed? 6 speeds 14 and up have this issue, my dealer tells me 8s dont. now they all have 10s. I drive a 17 6.2 8 speed combo 220 thousand km and no issues.

I drive a 17. afm delete with a tune. Good millage great power 225 thousand km no issues. the newer ones with dfm are alot harder and more expensive to tune out dfm. I have done multiple oil analysis, to figure out the optimum oil life the way this one is driven. IT will ping slightly wit 87 octane gas at times. I have played with 91 and also 87 with proper octane boosters. does not seem to make a difference driving empty but it does better towing. Someone above mentioned fords getting better millage, this is a work truck we have a small fleet of gmc and fords at work, 5.0 and 3.5 ecoboosts. They do not get better fuel milage but we do not have a 3.5 ecoboost 10 speed combo that might. 5.0 does not.