Which Bullets to use? ELD-m "Murder bullets" for everything?

An average male giraffe is about 2,400# and a really large male can approach 4,000#. Not sure what elk has to do with that, unless you are talking about putting a few elk side by side like milk jugs to see how many a .243 will pass through?

On a giraffe which can be 3.5 feet across the chest, the 3/8” rod for sure. I don’t think you are considering that 16”of penetration on a giraffe very likely results in only getting the onside lung. Do you think the desirability of hitting both lungs rather than just one is fuddlore?
I know nothing about giraffes other than I saw one at the zoo as a kid. Is there something special about them that leads you to believe they can survive with a 5 inch wide by 16 inch deep hole in their chest cavity?

Harvey_NW

WKR
On a giraffe which can be 3.5 feet across the chest, the 3/8” rod for sure. I don’t think you are considering that 16”of penetration on a giraffe very likely results in only getting the onside lung. Do you think the desirability of hitting both lungs rather than just one is fuddlore?
Essentially, yes. Animals don't die from 2 holes as opposed to 1, or KE, or any of the other fallacies associated with shooting inadequate bullets from bigger calibers. They die from tissue damage causing exsanguination, drowning in their own blood, CNS disruption, etc. A fragmenting bullet is likely to produce massively more trauma than a bullet that stays intact and has a small frontal diameter, which has a higher probability of resulting in a faster death. I'm not saying that the other bullets don't kill, or that a 6mm is the best weapon to go after a giraffe with. I'm just pointing out the difference in terminal performance between the 2, and that it's pretty commonly misunderstood.

Tmac

WKR
Seems there is some confusion about a one vs two lung hit, and one or two holes. I’d think you’d want both lungs smoked with a second hole as an option. YMMV.

Based on my zoo visits a giraffe is a very large critter. To my eye, a giraffe is to a moose like a moose is to a deer. I’d check with my PH, and follow their advice.

ljalberta

WKR
Not sure what elk has to do with that, unless you are talking about putting a few elk side by side like milk jugs to see how many a .243 will pass through?

Lol it appears I have crossed threads, and thought this was a discussion on elk, not a giraffe.

pbroski

FNG
I've seriously considered using a .22 ARC with 88 ELD-M's for bull moose this year, but will probably use my 6.5cm with 147 ELD-M's. My hunting partner is very skeptical about both small calibers and match bullets for large game, so if something ended up going wrong with the .22 ARC, I would never hear the end of it. Lol.

Juan_ID

WKR
I've seriously considered using a .22 ARC with 88 ELD-M's for bull moose this year, but will probably use my 6.5cm with 147 ELD-M's. My hunting partner is very skeptical about both small calibers and match bullets for large game, so if something ended up going wrong with the .22 ARC, I would never hear the end of it. Lol.
1720575265718.gif

And shoot what you want. Would he chastise you less if you shot it with a mega and things went wrong? Focus on making good shots and let the chips fall where they fall. A shitty shot is a shitty shot. 🤷‍♂️
Sorry I couldn’t help myself with the gif 😂

pbroski

FNG
View attachment 734337

And shoot what you want. Would he chastise you less if you shot it with a mega and things went wrong? Focus on making good shots and let the chips fall where they fall. A shitty shot is a shitty shot. 🤷‍♂️
Sorry I couldn’t help myself with the gif 😂
That's seriously funny. Thanks for the chuckle. There's lots of time to reconsider. Either way, if I end up successful I'll post it up on Rokslide.

MattB

WKR
Hold on- is that girl 8 feet tall?

View attachment 734327

@MattB is that giraffe 4 or 3.5 feet across the chest?
Is that a mature male and are animal’s dimensions the same when they are on their feet and when they are laying down?

Edit: had to watch to see that the video was of a bow kill and not from a 6mm. Arrows designed for large or dangerous game are going to penetrate a lot farther than a 6mm bullet of any design. Can’t tell if you are arguing the point or agreeing with me that penetration on really large animals is an important consideration.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Is that a mature male and are animal’s dimensions the same when they are on their feet and when they are laying down?

Giraffes are not 4 feet through the chest, they’re not 3 feet through the chest. They are about 2 feet through the chest. Just like with deer, elk, moose, goats, etc- African animals are widely exaggerated as to their dimensions.

Edit: had to watch to see that the video was of a bow kill and not from a 6mm. Arrows designed for large or dangerous game are going to penetrate a lot farther than a 6mm bullet of any design.

Thats bit true. There are 6mm bullets that will penetrate 4 feet of tissue. In any case- there is not arrow that is more “lethal” than just about any caliber big game bullet. The hitting that arrows kill different, or they are different is nonsense.

A 6mm 115gr DTAC will penetrate both lungs of a giraffe from nearly in legitimate angle- and might actually exit on a broadside shot.

Can’t tell if you are arguing the point or agreeing with me that penetration on really large animals is an important consideration.

Penetration is a consideration for all animals. My point was there is no need to exaggerate the size or depth of them not make it some mythical creature.

TxLite

WKR
It going to be interesting on how Ryan makes out shooting a giraffe with the 6UM. The bulls are VERY large, VERY thick and pretty difficult to put on the ground. Much larger than an Alaskan moose and much tougher. I'm pretty sure that unless its a head shot its not going to happen with one shot and they do not react to a bullet from anything very quickly. Ive seen them take more than 5 shots at close range in the vitals with a 500 S&W and it took awhile to get him to the ground. They are not elk. I sure hope he isnt using murder bullets.
Received a video not too long ago showing a bull giraffe dropping in place from a 180 hybrid in a 7prc. They aren’t bulletproof.