Which barrel to choose?

Schmo

WKR
Classified Approved
It’s time to get another barrel. Changing from 6.5 PRC to a 6-6.5 PRC on my Tikka for my hunting rifle. Picking this cartridge since it’s an easy one step neck down on 6.5 PRC brass, and it will put me dead between the 6 CM and the 6 UM, with no fire forming. I’ve narrowed it down to three options. It will be an 18” steel barrel.

Option 1: Preferred Barrels that would come chambered and threaded. $570

Option 2: PVA prefit that would come chambered and threaded. $800

Option 3: Order an Ace blank for $365, then pay a smith roughly $400 for a chamber, cut, and thread job. All in around $800. This would be cut rifled and hand lapped, while the first two options would be button rifled.

What say you?

Harvey_NW

WKR
I don't really think you can go wrong, but I prefer option 3 anymore to eliminate as many possible issues. My gunsmith (Kinport Peak Rifles) says Tikka's do vary a little more than people like to admit, and a thou or 2 can be all the difference. On the other hand, I have a PBB that shoots absolutely lights out, but I sent it to them to install/gauge.

I vote option 3. Build a relationship with a (good) smith. Let him work his magic, pay him for his craft and guarantee, get a quality result.

I think you will be fine with whichever option you choose.

My personal preference would be to use Preferred, only because that is who I have the most experience with. I have been getting barrels from them since they were Virgin Valley way back in the day.

OP
Schmo

Schmo

WKR
Classified Approved
My guess is they’ve always shot really well for you then?

My guess is they’ve always shot really well for you then?

Of the 20 or so barrels that I have had over the years from Virgin Valley, Match Grade Machine, and now Preferred Barrels, I have only had one that I had a problem with and that was a 6.5TCU Contender barrel. I wanted to be able to shoot 140 grain bullets out of it, but it was throated too short for that. It was even a bit short for the 120 grain bullets, even after sending it back to have the throat opened up. It still shot great, just wasn't going to be able to be used for what I needed it for, so I sold it to someone who wasn't planning on shooting any bullets over 120 grains and he is still using it today.