Which barrel to choose?

Schmo

WKR
Classified Approved
It’s time to get another barrel. Changing from 6.5 PRC to a 6-6.5 PRC on my Tikka for my hunting rifle. Picking this cartridge since it’s an easy one step neck down on 6.5 PRC brass, and it will put me dead between the 6 CM and the 6 UM, with no fire forming. I’ve narrowed it down to three options. It will be an 18” steel barrel.

Option 1: Preferred Barrels that would come chambered and threaded. $570

Option 2: PVA prefit that would come chambered and threaded. $800

Option 3: Order an Ace blank for $365, then pay a smith roughly $400 for a chamber, cut, and thread job. All in around $800. This would be cut rifled and hand lapped, while the first two options would be button rifled.

What say you?

Harvey_NW

WKR
I don't really think you can go wrong, but I prefer option 3 anymore to eliminate as many possible issues. My gunsmith (Kinport Peak Rifles) says Tikka's do vary a little more than people like to admit, and a thou or 2 can be all the difference. On the other hand, I have a PBB that shoots absolutely lights out, but I sent it to them to install/gauge.

I vote option 3. Build a relationship with a (good) smith. Let him work his magic, pay him for his craft and guarantee, get a quality result.

I think you will be fine with whichever option you choose.

My personal preference would be to use Preferred, only because that is who I have the most experience with. I have been getting barrels from them since they were Virgin Valley way back in the day.

OP
Schmo

Schmo

WKR
Classified Approved
My guess is they’ve always shot really well for you then?

My guess is they’ve always shot really well for you then?

Of the 20 or so barrels that I have had over the years from Virgin Valley, Match Grade Machine, and now Preferred Barrels, I have only had one that I had a problem with and that was a 6.5TCU Contender barrel. I wanted to be able to shoot 140 grain bullets out of it, but it was throated too short for that. It was even a bit short for the 120 grain bullets, even after sending it back to have the throat opened up. It still shot great, just wasn't going to be able to be used for what I needed it for, so I sold it to someone who wasn't planning on shooting any bullets over 120 grains and he is still using it today.

B23

WKR
Like many of the others I'd opt for option #3 for a variety of reasons but non of them would be because I think single point cut rifled barrels are better than button rifled barrels. I have both from multiple different barrel companies and they've all been great. IMO, a top tier barrel regardless of the rifling process is just that, a top tier barrel!

For me, I think the only way I'd go with a chambered pre fit is if I was in a big hurry and could get one right now ready to screw on versus having to wait for a smith to chamber and fit one to my rifle.

wyosam

WKR
Personally it would depend on what the round count is going to be like. My “hunting rifles” get shot a lot. I’m guessing 6-6.5 PRC isn’t going to be super kind to throats, so I would buy the preferred. It will almost certainly shoot great (based on the few I have), and you’re saving half of your next barrel right up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
I have a preferred on my Tikka PRS gun and it shoots great about 0.5 MOA. I wouldn’t think twice about ordering another.

As an additional example button rifling can be great. Everybody loves carbon six including myself and those are also button rifles. Mine is another tikka prefit in 300 WSM that shoots one ragged hole.

PVA barrels shoot great but there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when you might receive your order from them even when ordering something supposedly in stock. Never again for me after multiple instances of this

OP
Schmo

Schmo

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks to all for the input! It’s greatly appreciated. I ended up ordering from Preferred today. I’m excited to get it, whenever that will be.

What I ordered:
6-6.5 PRC with .140 freebore
18” stainless matte bead blasted
Diamond fluting
5/8 X 24 muzzle thread with protector
.750” taperless profile (I called Preferred to get approximate weight. Without fluting, I was told 2 lbs, 8 ounces. If so, I’m cool with it. It’s possible the fluting will remove a little weight, although I’m perfectly fine if it comes in at the full 2.5 lbs)

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to all for the input! It’s greatly appreciated. I ended up ordering from Preferred today. I’m excited to get it, whenever that will be.

What I ordered:
Diamond fluting
.750” taperless profile (I called Preferred to get approximate weight. Without fluting, I was told 2 lbs, 8 ounces. If so, I’m cool with it. It’s possible the fluting will remove a little weight, although I’m perfectly fine if it comes in at the full 2.5 lbs)
Awesome I’ll be ordering a 6 PRC or 25 PRC from them soon. How did you decide on the taperless over light hybrid?

I’m very curious what your final weight ends up at to see what the fluting saves you.

OP
Schmo

Schmo

WKR
Classified Approved
How did you decide on the taperless over light hybrid?
I prefer slightly thicker profiles just because it’s personal preference. Not accounting for fluting, the Lite Hybrid contour was only quoted at 4 ounces lighter than the .750” taperless for the same length. The I believe the barrel that I’m replacing was either 2 lbs 8 ounces or 2 lbs 10 ounces, so I was already cool with the weight.

Harvey_NW

WKR

What I ordered:
Diamond fluting
Nice! Mine is a .750 taperless too, big fan of that contour. What was the total if you don't mind me asking? I was thinking your listed cost in the OP would be without fluting.

OP
Schmo

Schmo

WKR
Classified Approved
The original total did not include fluting. It came to $675 plus shipping.