Which 7mm Bullet?

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
I am wanting to take elk/moose out to 600m with a 7 PRC. I am having trouble deciding which bullet to use. I am a fan of mono's and have never found a reason to not use them. I like pass throughs and a big temporary wound channel with no lead throughout the meat.

These are the options I am entertaining.

Barnes 168gr LRX - easily available and cheap
Hornady 160gr CX - easily available and cheap
Nosler 175gr ABLR - easily available, cheap but have never used bonded before (heard ABLR arent as good as the normal AB)
Cutting Edge 160gr Lazer - Hard to get, expensive
Hammer 169/177gr Hunter - Hard to get, expensive, BC's lower than advertised

I am not wanting to shoot Berger's on game. I will likely make a target load with them though. This rifle will be used as my main rifle and shots with be anywhere from 30yds-600yds on game.

Right now I'm leaning towards Barnes 168gr LRX. I shoot the 120gr TTSX with great results in 7 Rem Mag and just finished developing a load with the 145 LRX with good results so far.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

LightFoot

WKR
If I reloaded, I’d go with the 168 LRX. I used the hammer hunters last season on deer and one stag. They did the job but I’m going back to lead this year. I’m using the 7 PRC for elk this year and going with the 180 ELDM… since I don’t reload. I’m gonna give the 160 CX a try, too.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BjornF16

WKR
Big wound channels and monos don’t really go together, at least when compared to lead core bullets.

180 ELD-M would be my choice.

Monos should be light for caliber…I’d look at 145 LRX (I have these for 7mm Wby).

I’m having a custom barrel made for my 7mm Wby and plan on 180 ELD-M or Berger 180’s

OP
D

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
Big wound channels and monos don’t really go together, at least when compared to lead core bullets.

180 ELD-M would be my choice.

Monos should be light for caliber…I’d look at 145 LRX (I have these for 7mm Wby).

I’m having a custom barrel made for my 7mm Wby and plan on 180 ELD-M or Berger 180’s
yeah not a fan of cup and core.

168 LRX is likely what I will go to, has a decent enough BC and I should be able to keep velocity at 2000fps at 600m.

Just wondering what other options i am missing?

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
As far as monos go I think the CX is probably a little softer which means a little better performance at longer range, also just a hunch but odds are it may shoot better assuming Hornady designed their bullets the fit their chamber design, rifles are individuals howeve, and it’s just splitting hairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chad717

FNG
Did you have a bad experience with Bergers? I’ve had great performance with them, I shoot 195s in a 28 Nosler. ELDXs have also been great.

wapitibob

WKR
I'm going to 195's in my 7prc. I have had no issues with 140 tsx and 143 hh out of a 7stw and would probably go with a 140 ttsx and 7prc if I needed a solid.

Last edited:
OP
D

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
Did you have a bad experience with Bergers? I’ve had great performance with them, I shoot 195s in a 28 Nosler. ELDXs have also been great.
they sure fly good, but I'm not sold on how they act when they hit game. Ive heard from a few people that use them "Bergers make burger"

Ive had great success with mono's (GMX/TTSX/LRX) out to 400yds with my 7mm Rem Mag and I'd like to continue using them. Every bullet has passed through and nothing has gone further than 30yds (~15 animals)

I think I will go with the 168 LRX to start and see if I can find a load the rifle likes at 3000fps.

Super tag

WKR
I shoot the LRX in my Lapua, you said no Berger, in the 7mm it’s hard to beat, I’ve taken many animals, varying distances, never had an issue, perform very well and the shoot the best in my rifle

Biggest thing with any bullet you select is matching the velocity to the correct performance window for each bullet type.
I had very poor results with Berger 180 vld hunting bullets in my STW. I was shooting 3065 fps at the muzzle which is far too fast for that bullet to begin performing well until 350-400 yards. Results on multiple elk and mule deer were not good. No penetration, animals would not die.
I switched to a partition for a year or two then started shooting 143 grain Hammer Hunters and have had exceptional performance since. Most of my shots are under 300 yards, the Hammer is going 3350 at the muzzle and still 2800 at 300 yards. That is a great velocity window for this bullet and I can push it to 700 yards and still be doing 2200 fps and have no issue taking that shot if needed and knowing the bullet will do it’s job.

Now I’m not saying bergers don’t work, I put the bullet in a situation it wasn’t meant for and the results matched.
My new plan is to use the 143 Hammer Hunter until some far distance then switch to the Berger 195 going 3025 at the muzzle and can take it out to 1450 yards within the velocity window for performance. Somewhere in the 400-500 yard range I will switch since the Berger drops close to 2600 fps there.

With a PRC I would look at the 155 Hammer Hunter (I didn’t have the twist), I think you will have plenty of velocity at 600, anything over 2000 fps you will be happy. If you work up a Berger target load switch to that bullet when your velocity nears 2600 and you will be smiling at the performance.

You can substitute and Sierra or Hornady’s ELDM/X with Berger in my post above for performance window velocity.

Chad717

FNG
they sure fly good, but I'm not sold on how they act when they hit game. Ive heard from a few people that use them "Bergers make burger"

Ive had great success with mono's (GMX/TTSX/LRX) out to 400yds with my 7mm Rem Mag and I'd like to continue using them. Every bullet has passed through and nothing has gone further than 30yds (~15 animals)

I think I will go with the 168 LRX to start and see if I can find a load the rifle likes at 3000fps.
Yes they do tend to chew up meat a little more but the animals don’t get away, it’s a trade off.

eric1115

WKR
Biggest thing with any bullet you select is matching the velocity to the correct performance window for each bullet type.
I had very poor results with Berger 180 vld hunting bullets in my STW. I was shooting 3065 fps at the muzzle which is far too fast for that bullet to begin performing well until 350-400 yards. Results on multiple elk and mule deer were not good. No penetration, animals would not die.
I switched to a partition for a year or two then started shooting 143 grain Hammer Hunters and have had exceptional performance since. Most of my shots are under 300 yards, the Hammer is going 3350 at the muzzle and still 2800 at 300 yards. That is a great velocity window for this bullet and I can push it to 700 yards and still be doing 2200 fps and have no issue taking that shot if needed and knowing the bullet will do it’s job.

Now I’m not saying bergers don’t work, I put the bullet in a situation it wasn’t meant for and the results matched.
My new plan is to use the 143 Hammer Hunter until some far distance then switch to the Berger 195 going 3025 at the muzzle and can take it out to 1450 yards within the velocity window for performance. Somewhere in the 400-500 yard range I will switch since the Berger drops close to 2600 fps there.

With a PRC I would look at the 155 Hammer Hunter (I didn’t have the twist), I think you will have plenty of velocity at 600, anything over 2000 fps you will be happy. If you work up a Berger target load switch to that bullet when your velocity nears 2600 and you will be smiling at the performance.

You can substitute and Sierra or Hornady’s ELDM/X with Berger in my post above for performance window velocity.
I have had excellent results from the 180 hybrid out of my 7mm rem mag, MV 2800. Little bit heavier jacket than the vld hunters and the lower MV than your smokin' STW and I've been more than happy. Consistent exits and great (but not excessively destructive) wound channels.

It's been good to go for me from the muzzle to way way out there, no worries ever about being too close or too far.

I have had excellent results from the 180 hybrid out of my 7mm rem mag, MV 2800. Little bit heavier jacket than the vld hunters and the lower MV than your smokin' STW and I've been more than happy. Consistent exits and great (but not excessively destructive) wound channels.

It's been good to go for me from the muzzle to way way out there, no worries ever about being too close or too far.

I think velocity was my primary issue and the Hybrid likely would have helped some as well

LFC911

WKR
I'm going to 195's in my 7prc. I have had no issues with 140 tsx and 143 hh out of a 7stw and would probably go with a 140 ttsx and 7prc if I needed a solid.
I have some 180gr ELDMs and ordered some 180gr VLDH's to try load development in my 7PRC with RL26 for elk. I would be curious to know how your 195's do and what powder/recipe your rifle likes.

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
I run 155 Absolute Hammers in my 280AI at 3100fps. They're great killers inside of 500 meters. Past that I have a 180 Berger Hybrid load at 2900fps. They're both great killers, but I'd go with the 155 if I could only pick one. It's still doing just shy of 1800fps at 800 meters which is more than enough for it to do its job.