Where do you workout and what do you do?

Just wanted to start a thread to see where people workout (commercial gym, CrossFit gym, home, garage, mountains, etc) and what do you do to get in shape (weights, run, ruck, bike, CrossFit, etc.)?

I thought this would be a good idea for people to see all the different ways you can get fit and maybe help somebody struggling with motivation.

I workout at home in my garage gym. I have a pretty good set up and always looking to upgrade it. I currently have a squat rack, bench, barbell, bumper plates, box, air dyne, a few dumbbells and kettlebells, wall mounted pull up bar, landmine, weighted vest, sandbag, a weighted pack, residence bands and farmers carry handles. I’m wanting to add to my dumbbell and kettlebell collection and maybe another barbell. We are also saving up for a concept 2 rower.

I am currently following Mtn tough programming. I love being able to walk out into my garage to workout. There is no commute to the gym savings time. I can walk outside and get my workout in within and hour with no interruptions. I can also have my kids come outside and workout with me.

I know my list seems complex but definitely do not need all that equipment to get in shape.

I have three kettlebell, a set of rock rings, a pull-up/dip bar and several different packs. I live in the mountains so I can train “at altitude” all year long.

I do a lot of body weight and kettlebell work, stay away from barbells and dumbbells. I combine that with a lot of longer hikes to ridge lines with a packing list for what I’d use on a hunt. Sometimes I’ll just go set up my tent or chop a tree down and haul it out.

Currently, I am on day 17 of a 30 day murph challenge.

I workout at home in my basement. I have a pretty good setup, with a squat rack, bench, barbell, bumper plates, pullup bar, kettlebells, sandbag and Concept 2 rower. I also live on a hill, and have a trail behind the house where I can do hill sprints.

By the time hunting season ends, I have run myself into the ground lost a lot of weight. I spend the winter focused on getting stronger and putting a few pounds back on. I run a linear progression on deadlift, squat, bench and press, and throw in related accessory lifts. I also hit the rower and pickup hockey games here and there, but strength training is the primary focus at this time. Once I stall out on linear progression I switch over to an intermediate barbell program called 5/3/1 aimed at increasing my numbers a bit more.

Once summer hits and hunting season is getting closer I maintain 5/3/1 but scale way back on the accessory lifts, and start focusing on hiking, rucking, trail running, box step-ups and stair climbs with a weighted pack. Anything to simulate moving up and down the mountains with a pack on.

jmcd22

WKR
Right now I am doing the MtnTough 30-30 but before all of this I frequented a local commercial gym and followed a push-pull-legs split. Once the snow melts, we are camping, fishing or scouting so that is how I got my legs before the season. I hated commercial gyms before the virus and have wanted to go the home gym route for a while...this just emphasizes that. Luckily my wife is completely on board so we will be going that route once we are actually able to order the stuff. Even with no weights, I do just fine with all of the spring/early summer stuff we do out of town.

Before whuflu I went to crossfit gym 4 to 5 times a week. Luckily they loaned out all their equipment before they shutdown and the WODs are still be posted so I have been keeping up in my back yard...I also try to do a hike or 2 on the weekends. Last Sat. got in ten miles turkey hunting.

bat-cave

WKR
Local Crossfit Gym normally and now my garage gym that I've built up due to the gym being closed. I have a Rogue rig, barbell, bumper plates, a handful of heavy dumbells and Kettlebells, sandbags, plyo box and recently a C2 rower. My gym follows Comptrain and these continue to be available for free online and the coaches from the gym do daily video's for @Home versions + WarmUps etc ... In theory the gym may be open again as of April 27th ... will see if that comes to pass. Looking forward to getting back to the gym as I push that much harder with folks around me to push me!

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
I have a nice set-up at home, but have a hard time getting motivated to put in a good workout (I don't mind a quick workout, but nothing like when I used to go to the gym). The energy level in a public place tends to motivate me.
So, instead, I mountain bike. This gives me some elevation and I can be out for extended periods of time and keep the heart rate up. Depending on the trail I get some good interval training. Road biking is another option, but I don't enjoy it as much, so my roadbike sits a lot more.

jmez

WKR
Crossfit gym. Ours closed a couple weeks ago but the owner is a friend and doesn't like working out alone so I've been going in and working out with him.

I have a mountain bike and do that when I can't get into the gym. I hate working out at home by myself and won't do it. I don't own any exercise equipment other than the bike.

I don't do many metcon type workouts anymore. There is a group I work out with everyday that doesn't follow the regular gym programming. Our workouts tend to use heavier weights and be longer rather than the shorter real high intensity stuff. Most of our workouts are between 30-60 mins.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Generally in my garage, I do jump rope, kettlebell and body weight stuff there. There’s a gym that I’ll go a few times a week to deadlift and OHP. Other than that, it’s all in the mountains or rivers.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a full olympic set in my garage with dumbells up to 50 lbs, some kettle bells up to 45 lbs, dip and pull up bar. I use this for when I don't want to go to the gym and I've been tossing around the idea of selling it. I'm sure glad I didn't, and I'll never consider that again. I'll also go to the gym and do heavy resistance training about 3 days a week. I also do a lot of mountain and bmx biking and hiking. From time to time I will do random running routines. I used to run competitively, but I hate every second of running now. Time better spent in the grave! LOL

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local gym 400 yds from home has sucked being closed but making due with pull-up a few barbells pushups and lots of hiking

Poser

WKR
Gym for barbell training. I may take advantage of the post quarantine surplus of gym equipment and build out a home gym. I’ve always enjoyed productive “gym vibe” but I don’t really get much of that where I live now and haven’t had any training partners in a couple of years anyway.

Since we’ve been in quarantine, I’ve been working out with a few Kettlebells, Bodyweight movements and chins ups. It was challenging the first 2-3 weeks, but now it’s just turned into a stupid amount of volume in order to induce any significant stress and i’m pretty much over it and ready to get back to barbell training.

I also Mtn bike seriously between May and September and backcountry snowboard/splitboard between November and May. I don’t do any type of conditioning (“cardio”) in the gym.

*zap*

WKR
IMG_5403.JPG

Cobbled together some stuff to keep lifting, I also have an olympic bar and platform but the platform only adjusts up to just above my crotch.....have to start squats/ohp in the down position for now. A good rack and dip bar is what I am looking for now...I can do chin ups off the scaffold platform on my van for now.....

IMG_5406.JPG

Last edited:

bsnedeker

WKR
I've been wanting a legit home gym for a while so I finally got it done about 2 weeks before the stay at home stuff started! Talk about good timing on that one!

20200310_192032.jpg20200310_192021.jpg

I've got one of those door-hanger pull up bars that I use as well, but I'd like to add a permanent one to the wall, and I also want to put a squat rack in. My BIL has one in his garage that he won't give up even though he hasn't used it in 2 years so I'm gonna keep working on that one!

*zap*

WKR
I've been wanting a legit home gym for a while so I finally got it done about 2 weeks before the stay at home stuff started! Talk about good timing on that one!

View attachment 174973View attachment 174974

I've got one of those door-hanger pull up bars that I use as well, but I'd like to add a permanent one to the wall, and I also want to put a squat rack in. My BIL has one in his garage that he won't give up even though he hasn't used it in 2 years so I'm gonna keep working on that one!

Awesome!

Garage, homestead, and county road. I follow Tactical Barbell and vary my focus/maintenance throughout the seasons.