Where are my penny pinchers? Budget time

Marble

WKR
@Lil-Rokslider

My experience with trying to feed the snacks kids is twofold. The first is making sure the real meals are complete and nutritious. Meaning all the major stuff is covered per meal. A serving of protein, carbs and fruit/veggies. Hitting all these areas creates less of a craving for other foods in between meals.

The snacks (if prepackaged or from a box) can be expensive. So we tended to blend snacks with a fruit and some type of cracker/grain based snack. If you buy in bulk at a decent bulk section of the grocery store you can do this.

The second part is to actually make the meals. Not pre-made stuff. It much cheaper and better for you.

We shopped at costco for things we used in quanity, grocery outlet for whatever was available there. And then a nicer grocery store to fill in stuff we couldn't get at the first two. $1800 sounds crazy for groceries.

We also had a rule of no snacks after 4pm. That way they were hungry for dinner.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
Snack Alternatives
  1. Buy fruits and veggies for snacks (apples, carrots are our top 2)
  2. Make bars or protein balls - my wife found a recipe for homemade perfect bars that are 10x better than store bought. (PM me and I will send it to you)
  3. Kill an animal and have sticks, sausage, or jerky made
Make sourdough bread. Healthier and cheaper.
Meat and veggies for dinner. - Makes 2-3x what you can eat for left overs.

Dont buy junk. Shop the outsides of your grocery store, anything in the aisles are generally terrible for you.
If you can kill enough animals for your meat thats great. If not work with a meat processor and get a half a cow and a pig.
Sams Club or Costco are actually great for saving on things like peanut butter, chicken nuggets, meat, veggies, eggs, milk and fruit.

If you cut sugar out of your life you will stay fuller longer and also not crave it. Not to mention everyone attitude and energy levels will increase. I have a 2 year old and new born as well. Our 2 year old has had once piece of candy(Reese's PB Cup) outside of dark chocolate and that was the worst he has ever acted.

Lastly get your kids involved in the kitchen.
A buddy came up with a rather ingenious way to make snack bars and the recipe can be modified to fit your taste. The recipe basically calls for 1 cup each of a whole bunch of stuff that gets mixed together - easy peasy. He heats 1 cup honey/agave syrup/peanut butter (your choice) in a pot until it gets runny (130 degrees?) and then stirs in 1 cup each of steel-cut oats, flax seed powder, dried fruit (I use blueberries), shredded coconut, protein powder, and chopped nuts. Once that is thoroughly mixed, it goes into a greased pan (~9"x13") and is spread/pressed flat (~1" thick). The pan then goes into the fridge/freezer to cool. Once cool, I cut it into squares. put them in a zip lock, and into the freezer they go. They can be eaten right out of the freezer as they do not get very hard.

You can swap out ingredients pretty freely to your liking so long as you have roughly the same filler:binder ratio, although my understanding is that instant oats do not work well for this. I have taken to using 2/3 peanut butter and 1/3 honey as it makes the bars a bit more temp-stable/less sticky.

You can definately get the kids involved as well, getting the ingredients, measuring amount, and doing the dishes.

On groceries, bargain shop, stock up on sales, and buy in bulk are my only suggestions.

Problem is the higher the quality of food ie less preservatives and more wholesome foods are inherently going to be expensive. I think we spend at least $1500 a month on food but its worth it to me knowing that its not junk food (although I love junk food damnit). In terms of meats, vegetables and fruits, only premium and organic when possible. At the same time I dont buy any clothes for myself and will probably start cutting my own hair

CB4

WKR
A buddy came up with a rather ingenious way to make snack bars and the recipe can be modified to fit your taste. The recipe basically calls for 1 cup each of a whole bunch of stuff that gets mixed together - easy peasy. He heats 1 cup honey/agave syrup/peanut butter (your choice) in a pot until it gets runny (130 degrees?) and then stirs in 1 cup each of steel-cut oats, flax seed powder, dried fruit (I use blueberries), shredded coconut, protein powder, and chopped nuts. Once that is thoroughly mixed, it goes into a greased pan (~9"x13") and is spread/pressed flat (~1" thick). The pan then goes into the fridge/freezer to cool. Once cool, I cut it into squares. put them in a zip lock, and into the freezer they go. They can be eaten right out of the freezer as they do not get very hard.

You can swap out ingredients pretty freely to your liking so long as you have roughly the same filler:binder ratio, although my understanding is that instant oats do not work well for this. I have taken to using 2/3 peanut butter and 1/3 honey as it makes the bars a bit more temp-stable/less sticky.

You can definately get the kids involved as well, getting the ingredients, measuring amount, and doing the dishes.

On groceries, bargain shop, stock up on sales, and buy in bulk are my only suggestions.
Very similar. This just uses oat flour to give it a different texture. Its amazing how much it saves vs buying 1 bar for $2-4.

Also when making any bar use parchment paper in the pan.

Attachments

• Bars.png
    Bars.png
    472.6 KB · Views: 26

MattB

WKR
Very similar. This just uses oat flour to give it a different texture. Its amazing how much it saves vs buying 1 bar for $2-4.

Also when making any bar use parchment paper in the pan.
Good to see other ingredients, it is nice to be able to change up the recipe to suit your taste or just to accommodate what you have on hand.

I spray coconut oil in the pan and the bars come out no problem. No release agent, it is a B.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Buy a good quality vacuum sealer (chamber) and buy in bulk when stuff is on sale. Sounds like you have freezer space. The sealer will pay for itself very quickly.

We buy a lot of certain items at Costco. Some things are a great bargain there, some things are great quality there, but it isn't universal on either of those properties. The other thing I do is design my meals plans around ingredients that are on a great sale and/or cheap because they are in season at the grocery store. That and the less pre-packaged/prepared food, be it for dinner or snacks, is going to generally be much cheaper and healthier. Have some "go too" meals that are good but very inexpensive and try to always rotate them though once every other week or so. Pasta with game burger/sausage and a nice salad is very cheap for a crowd. Same with game burgers and a salad or meatloaf with roasted or steamed vegetable. We also have a big garden in the summer. The biggest though is to limit eating out. That gets expensive fast - even fast food. Good luck!

Gutshotem

WKR
Do like me.
Start off by applying for tags in multiple western states. Throw in some super tag and raffle chances and may as well include all of the big game species in states like Utah cuz they're only $15 a pop, and you already bought the license right?
After you've been thoroughly raped by all of their schemes and drawn one deer tag it's time to switch gears and upgrade some gear because the timberlines don't have hip vents and with 15X binos you can leave the spotter in the truck. Spend another couple hundred on gas and ammo going to the range all summer, another grand to get out west for the hunt, and a few hundo on misc expenses.

Then, when the meal is served, never forget to mention how you saved the family $10-12 using that venison in place of organic stuff from Costco.

This may not work for your situation, but my wife doesn't pay the CC bill so we're very happy with this arrangement.

I will have to check with my wife. I know she recently revamped our grocery budget and found quite a bit of money. I have a family of 6, but my kids are 6, 9, 10, and 13. I can say that our food bill has for sure gone up as they get older, so its a great idea to get on it now because it will only go up as they get older. I do know for sure though that we don't spend $1800 a month, but also don't buy much meat at all.

dtrkyman

WKR
Can’t help with the family but I don’t drink smoke or use any drugs, prescription or otherwise so I figure that puts me ahead of the game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Traveler

WKR
Really hard to give meaningful advice without knowing what your grocery list typically looks like. It doesn’t take long for grocery to add up, just a few briskets, ribs, sausage, etc and healthy branded but still processed foods (ie lara bars) will add up in a hurry.

we end up shopping at four different stores for different categories of items. One is better for produce, one meat, one dairy, one condiments/extras, etc. coupons are still a thing and make a difference also. This approach does take more time.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Hunt and fish more. Stock up the freezer with wild game and fish. Meats are some of the most expensive items you buy. Learn to make meals you can stretch out to feed more people. When you go to the market, set a budget, make a list and stick to it. Ever notice how every so often the markets change their stores around. They do that so you have to look around for items you use to find in a certain location, that way you are more apt to do some impulse buying. Don't let them suck u in. Stick to your budget and list.

something else to consider is that developmental you don't want to limit the kids intake of everything. They are growing at are at different stages of development. If mom is breast feeding she needs an increase in calories till she stops. The younger ones till 2 should only have whole fat foods, then cutting it back to eventually non-low fat foods. Fat is what drives myelin sheath development for mental/cognitive development.

If you garden or have people that do, try some of the non-normal parts of plants to eat or make into different things.

cnelk

WKR
1- Learn how to cut hair and cut your kids’ hair, your own hair.

Get a set of clippers and good scissors. I always used to cut my kiddos hair and still cut my own.

You’ll save a lot of money over time by not going to the barber/hair salon.

2- Go donate plasma. Easy and quick $$

bozeman

WKR
1- we eat out ALOT, but we always bring home the leftovers and get 2, sometimes 3 meals from it, so it helps, but eating out is much more expensive than buying in bulk. (maximize your food, most restaurants provide more than 1 serving on an order, so split the plate as soon as it gets to your table.
2- we bulk prep on Sat for the next week (chicken, fish, or shrimp with the choice of 3 veggies). saves $$ and time wasted deciding what you want for lunch
3- plant a garden....keep it small, but it gets your kids involved and you can save $$ on items like carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, spinach, broccoli (all pretty easy to grow)
4- bulk snacks- buy large bags of trail mix and split into smaller sandwich bag sizes (grab and go)

I have two teens and my 16 year old son has hollow legs....he will eat everything in the house......so yes, it costs some $$$$ for food. Best of luck!!

Do like my grandpa said: eat dried fruit for breakfast, drink water for lunch & swell up for supper.
They had 6 boys plus tons of grandkids & I remember eating a lot of corn bread, cooked cabbage, pinto beans, mashed taters, macaroni & tomatoes, etc. Fix chili beans / taco soup. That kind of stuff can stretch out a long way.

Can you garden? Even a small area can produce lots of green beans, tomatoes, etc. Get a pressure canner & hammer down.
If you don't have room for a garden ask some of your neighbors & "share crop". My other grandpa was a preacher & he had 6-8 gardens planted at other people's houses nearby.

Kid's clothes can be crazy expensive so get their everyday/ play clothes from somewhere like Goodwill for a couple bucks each

Or you could move to California & just shoplift everything

Tradchef

WKR
I don’t have kids but I started a business last year. We don’t eat out at all. That’s my living so I just don’t unless I’m in the city on either coast or over seas and the food is killer or it’s seeing an amazing restaurant doing amazing things. We eat the game I kill, catch and raise. I raise meat birds and laying hens for eggs. We garden. Do a ton of fermenting and canning. As for groceries we don’t eat a lot and honestly I don’t care about grocery cost. We buy good product and also have neighbor s that do raw milk, beef, lamb and pork. Cars and truck are paid. No credit card debt. Staying that way. I can live with out keeping up with the Jones’s bullshit. You can save a lot by looking at csa’s or buying local when In season. I know a lot of folks that buy discount fruit and vegetables for freeze drying or dehydrating for a later application. It’s a great way to save some money.