When do you switch from Spray to Gun ??

matsprt

FNG
So you are in bear country. A bear makes it known you are either dinner or interrupting their dinner and it becomes clear you will need to employ measures to make sure you survive. You are carrying both bear spray and a sidearm for just such an occasion.
So you first use your bear spray. How do you decide that the spray is not going to cut it and fall back on your gun ??
Stats say 98% of bear encounters where spray was used ended the attack. I see some stats say the results From using a gun are not as good. Stats can be manipulated to support whatever opinion you want.
So how and when does one decide to use a gun instead of just spray ??

EdP

WKR
I have no experience with detering or stopping bear attacks, but some of what I have read makes sense and my natural inclination would be to use the highest level of force available against an attack. Many times I have read that spray is effective in detering the curiosity of a bear just interested in checking out your camp. That is not the scenario you described, but it makes sense to me to use the spray in that situation because of the likelihood of success and the avoidance of bureaucratic BS. In a situation with an agressive bear I would use the maximum deterrent I had available at the first opportunity. Dead bears don't kill people.

WKR
If a bear gets within the 5 yard range of a can of bear spray and for some reason I have started using it instead of my gun, I'll probably just keep spraying it for the 5 seconds it's gonna last before switching to my firearm.

I agree with just not carrying spray. In the event that I was somewhere I couldn’t carry a gun (unlikely but possible), I might pick up some spray.

If you feel compelled to carry both, I’d consider the spray as a deterrent to a bear that is clearly agitated but not charging, meaning you’re probably not justified in killing it.

If it’s within 50‘ and still coming with no intention of stopping, gun all the way.

OP
matsprt

matsprt

FNG
When the manure hits the rotating oscillator It seems more than not it’s going to be an either or. These confrontations seems to be decided in seconds once the bear makes up it’s mind.
It seems behaviors in black bears have changed and most around here feel that if they no BS charge or stalk you it’s with the intent to kill / eat you. In those cases if you have a gun, use it.

I practice drawing both simultaneously, left hand for spray, right for sidearm. Hopefully spray will slow or stop a bruin's charge...but won't bet my life on it.

15 elk wallow cropped2.jpg

I have never been involved in a bear charge or attack but my guess is you wouldn’t have time to switch.

Wrench

WKR
Ever seen a bear dig out a stump and then run a 2.5 40?

You have time for one choice. Be glad you had confidence and skill on one of the choices.

Ps, I'm at 100% survival rate now.

S.Clancy

WKR
I rarely carry a gun (unless rifle hunting) in bear country. But if I was carrying both, I would deploy spray first, it is just faster. I've had several close encounters with bears (black and griz) each time I had the spray out ready to deploy in time. I never had to deploy it, thankfully.

Voyageur

WKR
Your question is the very reason why I no longer carry both. The first hand accounts I've read of bear attacks all talk about how quickly it happens. Based upon those accounts and much time on trail and in camp thinking about different scenarios, I decided that at the moment of truth there would be no time for me to ponder "which one?"

Legend

WKR
So you are in bear country. A bear makes it known you are either dinner or interrupting their dinner and it becomes clear you will need to employ measures to make sure you survive. You are carrying both bear spray and a sidearm for just such an occasion.
So you first use your bear spray. How do you decide that the spray is not going to cut it and fall back on your gun ??
Stats say 98% of bear encounters where spray was used ended the attack. I see some stats say the results From using a gun are not as good. Stats can be manipulated to support whatever opinion you want.
So how and when does one decide to use a gun instead of just spray ??

This is a good read.

rideold

WKR
I carry both. The spray is in my hand if I'm going through areas where I think I might encounter a bear. If I have to react fast and the spray isn't in my hand already then the revolver in the chest holster is the first thing I'll grab. That's the scenario I've been walking myself through since I started carrying while bow hunting.

BTW...bear spray "might" deter a bear but they don't always remain deterred. There are a number of cases where a sprayed bear returned while others simply ignored the spray during a predatory attack. I know one guy who saw a big black bear stalking him from downwind repeatedly throughout the day while hunting elk. He kept his head on a swivel, hunting the south central Wasatch Range in Utah. That night, while enjoying his campfire the bear walked right into the firelight and got a serious dousing of spray by the hunter. He heard the bear groaning and making a lot of noise about 50 yards away and remained on alert with his rifle in hand. Sure nuff, that dam blackie came back and took a bullet between the eyes. So for those who feel a single cannister of spray alone is enough I say...think again.