When do you need to take winter conditions seriously on mountain roads?

You should always take mountain roads seriously, whatever the conditions.

Your trip sounds like a good opportunity to learn more about the abilities of your vehicle and your self.

Take the advice above, get the equipment you need, and roll the dice. You might make it halfway and realize it isn't happening. Or, you might find it was easier than you thought it would be. There's only one way to find out.

I am very conservative with where I drive my truck. When it gets too rugged, I either back out or park and walk. You can always stop short and walk ahead to scout the road. The trouble is when you have pushed too far and realize you either are not comfortable or not able to continue but also unable to go back.

E.Shell

FNG
That works until you come to an icy corner.

Ive often made it up roads without chains that there was NO WAY I was going to go back down without.
Definitely chains for coming out. My absolute worst experience in mountains in the winter was going downhill to get out like you describe.

Got mixed ice & snow in the afternoon and I was hunting a sheltered area that wasn't bad. Had a full-size '86 Blazer with 12.5x35s, no chains.

Came to the northwest end of a hill and the road wasn't bad, turned the corner to go down the hill and was suddenly on pure ice. Touch the brakes, lose steering, let off the brakes, pick up speed. Scariest half-mile I ever drove and still don't know why I didn't wreck. Bouncing/sliding between the small berms at the edge of the road like a luge. Considered dumping the truck into the creek at the bottom to avoid trying to turn 90o onto a one-lane bridge, then decided at the last minute to try the turn. Made it, but don't know how. Thought it a major victory because no one screamed or wet their pants...

Definitely chains for coming out. My absolute worst experience in mountains in the winter was going downhill to get out like you describe.

Got mixed ice & snow in the afternoon and I was hunting a sheltered area that wasn't bad. Had a full-size '86 Blazer with 12.5x35s, no chains.

Came to the northwest end of a hill and the road wasn't bad, turned the corner to go down the hill and was suddenly on pure ice. Touch the brakes, lose steering, let off the brakes, pick up speed. Scariest half-mile I ever drove and still don't know why I didn't wreck. Bouncing/sliding between the small berms at the edge of the road like a luge. Considered dumping the truck into the creek at the bottom to avoid trying to turn 90o onto a one-lane bridge, then decided at the last minute to try the turn. Made it, but don't know how. Thought it a major victory because no one screamed or wet their pants...

That almost sounded like a Pat McManus story 🤣

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
When do you need to take winter conditions seriously on mountain roads?
In Winter :)

Where at? I know there's a culture of keeping locations secret around here for some good reasons, but this is a time to be specific because the same weather forecast can mean different results and decisions even for places that aren't very far from each other, and locals can weigh in on what to actually expect.
Example, I click on the map and the forecast there calls for 6" of snow starting in 2 days, overnight low of 25°:
Here in Medford Oregon, I expect it will be 1/2" of rain nine out of nine times.
A short distance away, at the Rim Village at Crater Lake, I expect 12" of snow and not to see the dirt again until May.
Another short distance further, in Chemult Oregon, there will be 6" of snow Thursday morning, then it will all be melted by Thursday afternoon, then dusty again Friday morning.
Your trailhead and rough dirt road being on the north side of a ridge vs south side can make a huge difference.

What car?
AWD SUVs mostly look the same, but someone with the exact model and year that you have may have already tried tire chains and can tell you if there's room or not.

*Just don't post anything really dumb like combining all of these specifics with the spare rifle thread so all the locals know there's a free Ruger American under the backseat of the Green Rav4 at Bumblerock Trailhead on Forest Road 90210, October 18-24*

I google Michelin All Terrain Tires and the first three pictures are different tires that I would guess to give different results in snow. Whatever they are though, if your tires are 5 years old your adventure will probably make the news.

Anyways, everybody is right, this is how you get experience. If you wanna know, you gotta go.

cjdewese

WKR
I live in the mountains in California, I would echo what others have said.

Really the only way to get experience is to experience it. We were fortunate enough to have parents that put us in uncomfortable driving situations so they could teach us how to handle them, you are just starting late.

Remember if you do start to slide you won't be able to steer ao you have to let off the brakes a bit to allow your tires to roll so you can get some steering traction.

Go slow, downshift your transmission manually into LOW on the way down and if you have to brake for a turn, or at all, try to do it as early as possible. Best way to not get into trouble is to keep your speed slow enough that you can't really get into trouble.

TaperPin

WKR
Since you’re new to chains, definitely practice installing them. Often cheap chains are made to fit a wide range of tires and the tails of the side chains are extra long. Try them on and cut off any extra links on the inside side chain (we’ll, probably leave one extra link until you know it’s not needed), so when it’s time to use them simply hook on the end of the inside chain and adjust the outside to fit.

Cheap chains from any box store aren’t very hard so don’t ever drive them on exposed pavement - ten miles on thin low profile chains and they will be worn through. The more expensive chains are hard as woodpecker lips and wear much slower.

Don’t get cables, but if you do don’t use rubber adjusters to take the slack out - it will dig into your tires and ruin the cables. They are designed to be run as is and will state that in the instructions.

Chains get much easier to put on the more you use them.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Go for it.

Might consider having tow straps and a winch or come-along. You will have what you need to help some poor soul without chains.

Taudisio

WKR
It can be a bit slick if the roads are not rocked, the volcanic ash. You shouldn’t have much of an issue. I haven’t been in that specific area, but I’ve hunted within 20 miles of there. The snow usually won’t accumulate until late winter from my past experience. I wouldn’t be super concerned with diving an awd vehicle over there in the rain. Just watch the muddy roads and avoid them if you get nervous about it.

jimh406

WKR
Never ignore the mountain weather. Being stranded is no fun, and people are stranded every year. Most AWDs aren't worth a lot when the snow is deep. They don't push very well since they are so light. Also, you may not be able to see where the road is if the snow is deep. Buy the chains and figure out how to install them.

The forecast could be wrong. If you can easily get to lower elevation, it's worth some risk as long as you aren't going a long way from your vehicle. If you keep an eye on the weather, you'll likely be fine.

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Lassen NF lands.
For that location and this week's forecast:
Take a jacket
Take gloves
Don't take snow shoes
If you have tire chains, might as well bring them. But if you don't have them don't worry about it for this trip.
Don't consider cancelling this trip for weather.
If anything actually looks muddy don't drive into it.
It will be cool if this rain actually follows through and knocks down the dust and fire danger.
But it will be a miracle if there's enough snow to see deer tracks.

jayhawk

WKR
My work car was a Hyundai Tucson awd, and with simple cheap chains from Walmart it would drive through deeper wet snow than coworkers 3/4 ton 4wd pickups and bare tires. Low clearance chains are just basic with no cross bars or anything special. Forget about cable chains - too many malfunctions in my experience.

Just buy the chains and the rubber chain tensioners and think of it as emergency supplies.
Yep. Trucks do not handle well in snow or ice. They’re too light in the back and the CG is too high. Any of those hatchbacks with a little clearance would run laps around a pickup.

magtech

WKR
If your scared to do it because youve never done it... when will you ever do it. Just send it. Look up mountain road driving techniques and utilize it.

Depending on your vehicle the chains you can get for it might be shitty cables. If i were you id get good winter meats and eat up the mountain. Then get whatever "chains" the vehicle will allow you to have without destroying it.