When do you need to take winter conditions seriously on mountain roads?

You should always take mountain roads seriously, whatever the conditions.

Your trip sounds like a good opportunity to learn more about the abilities of your vehicle and your self.

Take the advice above, get the equipment you need, and roll the dice. You might make it halfway and realize it isn't happening. Or, you might find it was easier than you thought it would be. There's only one way to find out.

I am very conservative with where I drive my truck. When it gets too rugged, I either back out or park and walk. You can always stop short and walk ahead to scout the road. The trouble is when you have pushed too far and realize you either are not comfortable or not able to continue but also unable to go back.

E.Shell

FNG
That works until you come to an icy corner.

Ive often made it up roads without chains that there was NO WAY I was going to go back down without.
Definitely chains for coming out. My absolute worst experience in mountains in the winter was going downhill to get out like you describe.

Got mixed ice & snow in the afternoon and I was hunting a sheltered area that wasn't bad. Had a full-size '86 Blazer with 12.5x35s, no chains.

Came to the northwest end of a hill and the road wasn't bad, turned the corner to go down the hill and was suddenly on pure ice. Touch the brakes, lose steering, let off the brakes, pick up speed. Scariest half-mile I ever drove and still don't know why I didn't wreck. Bouncing/sliding between the small berms at the edge of the road like a luge. Considered dumping the truck into the creek at the bottom to avoid trying to turn 90o onto a one-lane bridge, then decided at the last minute to try the turn. Made it, but don't know how. Thought it a major victory because no one screamed or wet their pants...

Definitely chains for coming out. My absolute worst experience in mountains in the winter was going downhill to get out like you describe.

Got mixed ice & snow in the afternoon and I was hunting a sheltered area that wasn't bad. Had a full-size '86 Blazer with 12.5x35s, no chains.

Came to the northwest end of a hill and the road wasn't bad, turned the corner to go down the hill and was suddenly on pure ice. Touch the brakes, lose steering, let off the brakes, pick up speed. Scariest half-mile I ever drove and still don't know why I didn't wreck. Bouncing/sliding between the small berms at the edge of the road like a luge. Considered dumping the truck into the creek at the bottom to avoid trying to turn 90o onto a one-lane bridge, then decided at the last minute to try the turn. Made it, but don't know how. Thought it a major victory because no one screamed or wet their pants...

That almost sounded like a Pat McManus story 🤣