When do children return to school where you are?

Gobbler36

WKR
To this day I just cannot understand why schools are unable to just say, "no cell phones during school hours"??? Heck, my wife and i dont let family members have their cell phones when they are over for things like Christmas gatherings anymore because all they do is stare at them, lol. My son has 10yo classmates that pull their phones out during class, in the halls, all the time really and he doesnt even have one yet. There were tons of things i wasnt able to have in class when i was a kid? I guess that probably lends to the changes you elude to in discipline policies though.
That’s because we have parents that enable their kids to act like ass hats and march up to the school and demand and yell at faculty that how dare they take their kids phone away etc. don’t blame the school much for not wanting to deal with the hassle.

we have abunch of parents to that teach and act like their child is a victim and not to recognize any kind of authority

my opinion of those kinds of issues is it starts at home

That’s because we have parents that enable their kids to act like ass hats and march up to the school and demand and yell at faculty that how dare they take their kids phone away etc. don’t blame the school much for not wanting to deal with the hassle.

we have abunch of parents to that teach and act like their child is a victim and not to recognize any kind of authority

my opinion of those kinds of issues is it starts at home
Yeah, i agree with you on a lot of that. HOWEVER, if i were a Superintendent i would just say, "no phones in school" and leave it at that. Any phone found during school hours gets confiscated and the parents can come pick it up after school for the kid. Parents dont like it take your kids out of the school and go find one that suits your needs, as in one that worries more about pampering your kid than teaching them.

I honestly think there are still more parents out there that would support this sort of thing than those that would be upset you took their kids phone away and showed them some authority?

Poser

WKR
Thanks for re stating there are no minimum days in WI as ive now stated like 3 times, appreciate that.

Since X amount of hours add up to X amount of days, it would not be extremely inaccurate to state that WI schools meet a minimum amount of days. Since the code is stated in hours, speaking in hours would be a more accurate statement. In the documents, WI states “it’s about time.” Whether we state that time in minutes, hours or days, it’s the same amount of time.

Are you demanding 100% accuracy on this point? being generally obtuse and argumentative? or does admitting a minimum amount of time in school place WI education in the same realm of certain other states also requiring a minimum amount of time make you uncomfortable because it in places some degree of liberal indoctrination?

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
For an alternate theory of education, look at what Japan typically does.

Three Term System
The Japanese school year begins in April and ends in March and is divided into three semesters. The school year starts in April. So the first semester begins in April and ends around July 20. For most elementary, junior high, and high school students, summer vacation lasts from July 20 through August 31. There are regional differences with this schedule, however. Because summer vacation does not mark the separation between academic years, students often have homework to do and even continue to go to school to take part in their club activities during the summer break. The second semester begins in early September and continues until about December 20, when the students go on winter vacation. The third and final semester of the school year begins in early January and ends in mid-March. Each semester begins with a formal opening ceremony and ends with formal closing ceremonies. Students have midterm and final exams for each semester. In addition to academics, schools also have extra-curricular activities such as cultural festivals, field trips, and sporting events throughout the year.

Poser

WKR
For an alternate theory of education, look at what Japan typically does.

Three Term System
The Japanese school year begins in April and ends in March and is divided into three semesters. The school year starts in April. So the first semester begins in April and ends around July 20. For most elementary, junior high, and high school students, summer vacation lasts from July 20 through August 31. There are regional differences with this schedule, however. Because summer vacation does not mark the separation between academic years, students often have homework to do and even continue to go to school to take part in their club activities during the summer break. The second semester begins in early September and continues until about December 20, when the students go on winter vacation. The third and final semester of the school year begins in early January and ends in mid-March. Each semester begins with a formal opening ceremony and ends with formal closing ceremonies. Students have midterm and final exams for each semester. In addition to academics, schools also have extra-curricular activities such as cultural festivals, field trips, and sporting events throughout the year.

I have long thought that a similar system makes more sense for modem kids. Our system is based on an archaic calendar and is arbitrary by modem standards.

Cady Creek

Lil-Rokslider
The early Aug. back to school dates seem as crazy to me as the early Aug. deer opener dates.
Day after Labor Day here, and Oct. 1st for "early" archery.

mullmann

Lil-Rokslider
My kids district here in AZ goes by the modified or year round schedule. 7/19-5/24 this school year. They get two weeks off for fall break, two weeks off for Christmas break and two weeks off for spring break. I grew up and went to school in Michigan where we went back after Labor Day.

jktex

FNG
I'm a middle school teacher and our students start August 14. Teachers and staff have been at it since August 1.

Sent from my SM-A536U1 using Tapatalk