When do children return to school where you are?

Wife went back to work on 8/1. Kids started today 8/7. They were out of school the second week of June. The previous SI took some kind of extra Covid relief money that required a longer school year. That SI was fired after 1 year and the new one is fantastic! He is my wife’s former principal at her school. They get out this school year before Memorial Day. My wife actually wants to go year round. 9 weeks on and 3 weeks off with something like 6-8 weeks off in the summer. I would prefer it as well as it would be easier to plan trips and hunts at different times of the year. Kids don’t forget so much either compared to long summer breaks.

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
After Labor Day as it should be. We live in a highly Conservative small town though who collectively still believes in parents raising their kids and the importance of family.

The number of school days in a year is fixed, although each states vary by a few days. They can push the start dates around, and that is usually voted on by the district. Has nothing to do with red or blue.

Roger17

Lil-Rokslider
I go back tomorrow. Kids come back on the 16th. The schools around me all like to graduate on the Sat. of Memorial weekend for some reason, so we are always done the Thur. or Fri. before Memorial day.

In Texas, school year length is now based on total minutes instead of days. It allows flexibility for things like a longer school day/year and a four day school week. More schools keep moving to that 4 day week model each year.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
180 'student contact' days is a typical teachers contract. Each District can allow Teacher In-Service, Late Starts and no staff/student days.

This is all dependent on the teachers union and hashed out in the employee groups Negotiations each year.

At least thats how we did it - when I worked for a school district for over 25 years [not a teacher]

But in essence, teacher groups have a lot of 'pull' when it comes to deciding how many days off they get

9/5/23 - 5/24/24

tumblr_mhnutmIUxN1roqzu6o1_400.gif

The majority of states use the 180 day academic calendar. Both red and blue. Starting earlier or later on the calendar and still using 180 days a year doesn't mean one values family more or less.
WI has no such required minimum number of days, so now you know. I couldnt care less what you all are doing in California.

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider

Will_m

WKR
School used to be dictated by farming. Now most are city kids . I think it was better before.
Man, I’ve seen people cutting cotton into December and prepping in February.

But I think school now functions more of a day care for kids than any educational aspect. Used to be able to leave kids to their own time. No more.