When did a pickup truck become a "rig" ?

psp8ball

FNG
I've noticed it a lot lately. Especially with western hunting shows/podcasts/etc that everyone refers to their truck as a "rig." Is that the commonly used term now? Or is it a regional term? Or something else?

I'm from Wisconsin, and everyone here still calls it a pickup or a truck. The only time someone uses "rig" is if they are referring to a semi tractor trailer.

If you know the answer, great. Otherwise feel free to chime in with what you call your vehicle.

3forks

WKR
Horse drawn wagons were called rigs. It carries over to any vehicle today depending what region of the country you’re in.

In my opinion, a “truck” should refer to a semi. A pickup is what must of us drive and is what a lot people refer to as their “truck”.

dtrkyman

WKR
A friend of mine calls em rigs, he’s from Tennessee and the first time I heard him say it was close to 20 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWOHTR

WKR
Interesting. I’m from WI as well and have always said truck/pickup.

Terms that bother me are “pulled the trigger” and “game changer.”

Btaylor

WKR
Seems like around here a truck is a rig, an SUV is a truck and a car is a waste. And it's da boat. "We kin hook da boat up to my rig so's we dont get stuck, your truck(suv) might not make it."