What's your lightest arrow for hunting?

Jon_G

WKR
Respectfully, my goal is not to hear about why you only shoot 500ish grain arrows. I want to know what's the lightest arrow people have hunted elk with. I am planning on building new 4mm arrows and without having to buy heavier broadheads and/or heavier inserts that don't already come with the arrows, I will end up somewhere around 403 grains with 3 fletch aae max stealth vanes. Is 403 too light? My current setup is at 425 grains but in all honesty I don't know if 403 is too much of a difference.

My reasoning behind going from 5mm to 4mm is more penetration and less wind resistance. Is it even worth changing my setup in your opinion?

8.3 GPI for 340 spine at 26 inch arrows
8.8 grain vanes
100 grains BH
55 grain insert
6 grain nock
= 403 grains

If it's important, I am shooting 65 lbs with a 27 inch DL

nphunter

WKR
I’ve killed several elk with similar setups. Killed my first bull at 53yrd with a carbon tech cheetah 330gr TAW, shuttle t loc head. The bow was a 60lb prime shift at 27” draw, I passed though both sides and the arrow was hanging out the back. The head hit bone and looked like it was shot into a pile of rocks.

Switched to a 380gr 4mm injexion and killed a bull the next year with a deep slice 3 blade chisel tip head with a clean pass through.

Bought a new bow, 27.5” draw 65lbs. Shot a bull square in the shoulder at 20 yards and lost him, same arrow as above with a slick trick.

Switched to A/C injexions about 410gr and Solid Legend heads and killed several animals with that setup.

Got 77lb limbs a 27.5” draw and switched to VAP’s uses the same heads. 390gr arrow going like 315fps. Killed a coupe bulls with that setup with clean pass throughs.

OR made mechanicals legal, switched to RIP TKO’s and Rage Trypans, 500gr arrow and shot one of those clean though a bull at 90 yards on a follow up shot and one through his front shoulder.

Switched bows dropped draw weight back to 73 and went to an Axis came in at 505, used a dead meat and killed a bull that year.

Switched to RIP TKO’s again, 480gr, kept the dead meat expandable and killed a couple more bulls with clean pass throughs, 58 & 60 yards.

Bought another new bow 27.5”, 74lbs and went back to 4mm Pro Comps and glue in evolution heads. Arrows are 453gr and I plan on passing through another bull this year with them. I want worried about weight, that’s what they came out to with the glue in heads.

Moral of the story, hit them in the right spot and that’s all that matters.

My kid has killed two 4 point bucks the last two years, 394gr arrows, 45-50lb draw weight, 29” draw shooting a dead meat expandable. Both around 40 yards.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
I’ve killed several elk with similar setups. Killed my first bull at 53yrd with a carbon tech cheetah 330gr TAW, shuttle t loc head. The bow was a 60lb prime shift at 27” draw, I passed though both sides and the arrow was hanging out the back. The head hit bone and looked like it was shot into a pile of rocks.

Switched to a 380gr 4mm injexion and killed a bull the next year with a deep slice 3 blade chisel tip head with a clean pass through.

Bought a new bow, 27.5” draw 65lbs. Shot a bull square in the shoulder at 20 yards and lost him, same arrow as above with a slick trick.

Switched to A/C injexions about 410gr and Solid Legend heads and killed several animals with that setup.

Got 77lb limbs a 27.5” draw and switched to VAP’s uses the same heads. 390gr arrow going like 315fps. Killed a coupe bulls with that setup with clean pass throughs.

OR made mechanicals legal, switched to RIP TKO’s and Rage Trypans, 500gr arrow and shot one of those clean though a bull at 90 yards on a follow up shot and one through his front shoulder.

Switched bows dropped draw weight and went to an Axis came in at 505, used a dead meat and killed a bull that year.

Switched to RIP TKO’s again, 480gr, kept the dead meat expandable and killed a couple more bulls with clean pass throughs, 58 & 60 yards.

Bought another new bow and went back to 4mm Pro Comps and glue in evolution heads. Arrows are 453gr and I plan on passing through another bull this year with them.

My kid has killed two 4 point bucks the last two years, 394gr arrows, 45-50lb draw weight, 29” draw shooting a dead meat expandable. Both around 40 yards.
Really great information. This is exactly what I was looking for. You've taken a lot of animals that's amazing man. I feel a lot more confident now. Thank for sharing!

nphunter

WKR
Really great information. This is exactly what I was looking for. You've taken a lot of animals that's amazing man. I feel a lot more confident now. Thank for sharing!

I’m lucky to have grown up elk hunting and live in elk country. It’s a fact that heavy arrows out penetrate light arrows. I was shooting through elk with lighter arrows with cut on contact heads and had poor blood trails. I knew that mechanicals take more energy so I went heavy with the arrows. I’ve been slowly backing weight down because I have been blowing through elk with expandables and would rather have a little more speed. I’m trying to find the best balance between speed and penetration that works the best for me. If I notice I’m struggling to pass through elk I’ll add more arrow weight back.

I also aim several inches behind the shoulder, I’ve hit it to enough know it’s not a high percentage shot on a bull and I’d rather not chance it.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
I’m lucky to have grown up elk hunting and live in elk country. It’s a fact that heavy arrows out penetrate light arrows. I was shooting through elk with lighter arrows with cut on contact heads and had poor blood trails. I knew that mechanicals take more energy so I went heavy with the arrows. I’ve been slowly backing weight down because I have been blowing through elk with expandables and would rather have a little more speed. I’m trying to find the best balance between speed and penetration that works the best for me. If I notice I’m struggling to pass through elk I’ll add more arrow weight back.

I also aim several inches behind the shoulder, I’ve hit it to enough know it’s not a high percentage shot on a bull and I’d rather not chance it.
With that said, what weight would you choose to stick to if you had to choose one and you weren't able to change it anymore? And let's say you had to stick to fixed blades since I am going to use Iron Wills

CMF

WKR
s, I will end up somewhere around 403 grains with 3 fletch aae max stealth vanes. Is 403 too light? My current setup is at 425 grains but in all honesty I don't know if 403 is too much of a difference.

100 grains BH
Why not just go to 125grn head to get the weight where you were if you like your current setup?
If penetration is your motive, I wouldn't go lighter.
I just did 4mm. Went with the storm arrows, 75grn nexxus outsert and 125grn head. at ~28" arrrow I'm around 455grn. Only 10grn lighter than the 5mm Red SD's that I had and more FOC, even though I'm not worried about foc...

Shoot, my current trad bow is set up with 500 grain arrows (50lbs @32"). I'd shoot it at an elk any day of the week with a sharp fixed blade.

Get your arrow tuned. I mean REALLY tuned. If it hits straight, it almost doesn't matter with the energy compounds put out. You might not want to put a giant 3 blade mech on the end with a 400 grain arrow, but shoot what tunes great and is forgiving.

nphunter

WKR
With that said, what weight would you choose to stick to if you had to choose one and you weren't able to change it anymore? And let's say you had to stick to fixed blades since I am going to use Iron Wills

I would stick with whatever shoots around 290fps, for me that’s a 450gr arrow. Fixed heads get temperamental over that speed. When I was shooting 77lbs and 390gr arrows they were 315fps and stressful. I could group them fine at 70 but they were temperamental at that speed and shot execution needed to be perfect. I’m shooting 290fps now and can easily shoot fixed heads out past 80 with relative ease and they are still somewhat forgiving.

Switched bows dropped draw weight back to 73 and went to an Axis came in at 505, used a dead meat and killed a bull that year.

Bought another new bow 27.5”, 74lbs and went back to 4mm Pro Comps and glue in evolution heads. Arrows are 453gr and I plan on passing through another bull this year with them. I want worried about weight, that’s what they came out to with the glue in heads.

Man I'm impressed with your detail recollection and feedback, true hunter right there remembering all the little details of every kill.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
Man I'm really contemplating doing that and I know I'd be happier with doing that. I don't want to lose any money on the 100 grains iron will broadheads but I think I'm gonna have to. I've never even shot an animal with them yet so it's gonna suck to lose the money on them lol. I also have some grin reapers in 100 grain. If I sell them all I don't think I would buy the iron wills again. They're too expensive lol

Man I'm really contemplating doing that and I know I'd be happier with doing that. I don't want to lose any money on the 100 grains iron will broadheads but I think I'm gonna have to. I've never even shot an animal with them yet so it's gonna suck to lose the money on them lol. I also have some grin reapers in 100 grain. If I sell them all I don't think I would buy the iron wills again. They're too expensive lol
Probably good resale value on those in the classifieds.

CMF

WKR
The 100grn are pretty popular and will probably sell decent on classifieds.
I went with the 125grn(buff) IW because I couldn't get 100grn without bleeders. I favor accuracy and penetration over cutting area.

Lightest arrow I’ve killed elk with was around 425 grains with a mechanical (1.5” schwacker). That was with a 75#, 29.5” draw. Standard diameter arrow. 50 yard broadside shot right into lungs. Didn’t get a pass-through but recovered the animal after 200 yards or so. Wasn’t super pleased with the penetration.

I’ve since switched to 4mm arrows and am at 450 gr. To me this argument is never as simple as total arrow weight. Draw length and weight are crucial to the calculation and every bit as important as arrow weight. Broadhead selection and max range being important as well.

I’m sure its been done many times but I’d personally be weary of a 60 yard shot with your setup on an elk at 400 grains. I’d have to limit my shots to inside 50 unless the poundage was closer to 75. Elk bones (even ribs) would make me nervous. But that’s me

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
Lightest arrow I’ve killed elk with was around 425 grains with a mechanical (1.5” schwacker). That was with a 75#, 29.5” draw. Standard diameter arrow. 50 yard broadside shot right into lungs. Didn’t get a pass-through but recovered the animal after 200 yards or so. Wasn’t super pleased with the penetration.

I’ve since switched to 4mm arrows and am at 450 gr. To me this argument is never as simple as total arrow weight. Draw length and weight are crucial to the calculation and every bit as important as arrow weight. Broadhead selection and max range being important as well.

I’m sure its been done many times but I’d personally be weary of a 60 yard shot with your setup on an elk at 400 grains. I’d have to limit my shots to inside 50 unless the poundage was closer to 75. Elk bones (even ribs) would make me nervous. But that’s me
Thanks for your input. How are you getting to 450 grains? I do feel like if I am going to get new arrows I may as well make them heavier. I am also taking what @nphunter said into consideration that it has to be a well placed shot. It seems like a heavier setup may be more forgiving. I don't quite think I necessarily need to move to 70 lbs. I'm sure it would help but my bad shoulder is accepting 65 lbs. So it sounds like I should just move to either 150 grain heads or at the very minimum 125 in case my shot isn't as pretty as I hope it will be.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
Thanks, I’m kind of obsessed with my gear and geek out in it.
I too am the same way. Once I get comfortable with my setup I change it but part of my reasoning for that is so I can learn more about different setups and to not get too comfortable. I am now leaning towards a heavier arrow closer to 450 grains. For that I am fairly certain I will need a 300 spine instead of 350

nphunter

WKR
I too am the same way. Once I get comfortable with my setup I change it but part of my reasoning for that is so I can learn more about different setups and to not get too comfortable. I am now leaning towards a heavier arrow closer to 450 grains. For that I am fairly certain I will need a 300 spine instead of 350
I’m shouting 340’s, 27.5” long, 160gr glue in Evolution heads and cheap 200gr glue in target points off of eBay that I cut off to be 160gr.

I just switched vanes to ez vanes from Aus. and just went and weighed an arrow and it comes in at 437gr. That is what I’ll be using this fall with 2” cut expandables.

I really don’t think you need to worry about penetration shooting fixed heads. If you wanted to keep your IW’s you could just buy some of their 25gr collars and add them to your arrows. You will zip though anything you hit with an IW as long as it’s not a shoulder bone.

You could also add a couple inches to your arrows and gain another 18gr, you would still be fine spine wise.

Last edited:
OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
I’m shouting 340’s, 27.5” long, 160gr glue in Evolution heads and cheap 200gr glue in target points off of eBay that I cut off to be 160gr.

I just switched vanes to ez vanes from Aus. and just went and weighed an arrow and it comes in at 437gr. That is what I’ll be using this fall with 2” cut expandables.

I really don’t think you need to worry about penetration shooting fixed heads. If you wanted to keep your IW’s you could just buy some of their 25gr collars and add them to your arrows. You will zip though anything you hit with an IW as long as it’s not a shoulder bone.

You could also add a couple inches to your arrows and gain another 18gr, you would still be fine spine wise.
That would be an option but my half out inserts that come with the arrows are glued in. I don't want to mess up an arrow trying to remove the inserts with heat or something. I think if I want to keep these arrows I will have to sell my IWs to get heavier ones. Or get new arrows with a heavier insert. I can also cut to like 27 inches instead of 26s like now. What do you think?

Marble

WKR

I would listen to this advice.

My opinion on arrows is to not male it complicated. Simple components, easy to source and fix. I'll spend more of my time improving my shot process and practicing calling.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

nphunter

WKR
That would be an option but my half out inserts that come with the arrows are glued in. I don't want to mess up an arrow trying to remove the inserts with heat or something. I think if I want to keep these arrows I will have to sell my IWs to get heavier ones. Or get new arrows with a heavier insert. I can also cut to like 27 inches instead of 26s like now. What do you think?

I’d shoot them the way they are if they’re built and see how they shoot. If they shoot well use them. There’s also several good 150gr heads out if you want to go that route. IW are great heads and I doubt there is a better penetrating head on the market. If your really wanting to go heavier there’s lots of time between now and hunting season.

If you really want to up your weight then RMS cutthroat 3 blades would be a great 150gr option and are half the cost of IW heads.