What’s your ideal hunting truck?

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I've had a myriad of gassers and Diesels. Even had a launch edition Gladiator. All had their pluses and minuses. I hate running Diesels in the winter. They are hard to start, take forever to warm up, and honestly the cold weather affects the compression cycle and puts additional wear on the motor. Maintenance is a pain, and when they break, it is expensive.
My go-to ultimate hunting truck now is a 1999 K2500 Suburban with 4.10s and the 7400 Vortec. I'm rolling on 235x85x16 Falken Wild Peaks. The narrow pizza cutter rims reduced surface area focus pressure on the road and cut through snow and ice and mud and make hydroplaning or floating almost non existent. I can tow a 12k trailer, and seat 8 people with luggage comfortably. With all the seats down I can put a bed in the back and camp out of it. I've thrown three 120quart coolers full of meat in the back and still had room for cargo and people. I get 15.5 mpg on the hwy, 13-ish combined. Easy to work on, easy to find parts for. If I couldn't have the Suburban I would look seriously at Ford Excursion with 6.8L V10.
My next set of tires will be 255x85x16s.
Great points on running narrow tires.

Just curious, why the 34’s on the 4Runner? I’ve got a 21 4Runner and for me it’s pretty much the ideal hunting rig. I hunt by myself, so being able to easily sleep in my rig is a must. A factory non lifted 4Runner with BFG’s or other good all terrain tire, will get me anywhere I need to go off road in pursuit of game, with OK gas mileage. It’s reliable so I’m not worried about it breaking down somewhere outside of Yaak, Montana lol.
If I had a pickup truck, I’d 100% get one of those clamshell campers like the Gofast Camper or AT Overland. You have standing room to get dressed in the mornings, a comfy bed and plenty of storage and it all stows away in just a few seconds. That would be hard to beat for the traveling hunter like me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My stock height 4runner bottoms out all the time. Amazing how little ground clearance they have. Full skids was a must. Fairly gutless, but does climb pretty well. Perfect vehicle for my wife tho.

rclouse79

WKR
I am a big suburban fan. I built a platform that goes on two coolers for my son to sleep and I go down below. It is nice being able to park and camp is already set, especially when it is cold.

If you are off roading, you don't want a diesel. Take it from somebody that takes his 4 door, 1 ton, long bed diesel everywhere. Diesels are only good if you are towing heavy , every weekend. They are so front heavy, loud and expensive. Will it do it, absolutely, is it fun, no. Get a 3/4 ton gasser. Load it up with a winch, lockers, and a good set of 4: quick cam, v bar chains and you will be able to drive up anything. I love a topper if you are sleeping in the bed, but would pass on the decked drawers with the topper. It takes up a lot of height and is hard to sit up in then. If not sleeping in the bed, I like a hard sided, folding tonneau cover with home built pullout drawers. I have had soft covers blow off in 80 mph winds.
Carli suspension for when its not muddy. Makes a huge difference in the kidneys, but mud is still mud unfortantly

Id build a Raptor 37 with 3.0 Duramax, 50gal tank, 6.5 bed, and dodge seats. With smart cap or GFC topper

tony

WKR
What is the "powerboost" ? If thats the electric ford, hard pass.
I'm running a Ranger Tremor, I believe in typical ford wisdom 2023 is the last year for the package, as they must not want a common sense buyer to not purchase the upcoming ranger raptor starting in the high 50s.
Man, if its paid for and runs, I'd keep that Toyota. All Toyota gas mileage sucks. That said, I am excieted for the new Tacoma.
I am pretty well endowed and my employer paid me me to drive diesel ford trucks for years. So as a mere mortal I have no need nor want for a diesel. I had my diesel fix for about 30 years.

I guess F150, or maybe 250 gasser. I would recommend looking at the rangers, colorados and tacomas if its just you. Maybe a small trailer for your shit and the animal you bring home? They really aren't that small anymore.

All Toyota gas mileage sucks.

Isnt that the truth. Mine doesnt burn much off the pavement. But getting there, much over 55mph, and you might as well have a lot more engine...

I guess F150, or maybe 250 gasser. I would recommend looking at the rangers, colorados and tacomas if its just you.

If a guy didnt get a mid size pickup, I would go straight to a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup. I have a f150 as well. It makes a damn nice car, but thats about it IMO. It pains me to even put new wiper blades on the thing LOL. Dont see myself buying another.

Gonna jump into this thread for some guidance as well. I’ll be getting a 2024 Tundra with the 5.5ft bed. I currently run a diamondback cover on my Tacoma and love it. However, fitting coolers isn’t possible under the cover. It has me debating whether I should stick with the diamondback cover for the tundra or move to a decked system and nice camper topper for the bed. Really didn’t enjoy having a camper on the Tacoma as it made it too sluggish and was hard to keep clean so I could see out of the back of the truck. Anyone else have good advice on what direction to go with? I’m also holding out hope that the larger yetis will fit in the deeper tundra bed with the diamondback installed.
Same. 2024 Tundra 5.5" bed. No shell for me. I've never ran a cover on my current 2010 Tundra. I like getting in/out of the bed, stand when needed, versus pulling stuff out or crawling in. 3/2" lift. 18" wheels. Tires big enough but not too big I can't throw chains on. Probably a winch. D-rings in bed for extra tie downs (coolers, dog kennel).

Mattys010

FNG
I have 2021 F150 super crew 5.5’ bed with 2.7L ecoboost. I put an ARE topper on it and am just finishing up a DIY decked type drawer system. I bought a DAC tent, which encloses the area above the tailgate and rear window. Seems to to be a good solution for sleeping in the back.

I like the 2.7. I originally wanted either the 5.0 or 3.5 ecoboost but settled on this truck due to price and availability. I am happy I did. I average 23mpg and have seen 26-27 on a road trip. I do wish it had the 36 gallon fuel tank.IMG_6749.jpegIMG_6749.jpeg

Same. 2024 Tundra 5.5" bed. No shell for me. I've never ran a cover on my current 2010 Tundra. I like getting in/out of the bed, stand when needed, versus pulling stuff out or crawling in. 3/2" lift. 18" wheels. Tires big enough but not too big I can't throw chains on. Probably a winch. D-rings in bed for extra tie downs (coolers, dog kennel).
Have you ever had any concerns with stuff being stolen out of the bed of the truck while leaving it at the trailhead? That’s my biggest concern. Lots of $$$ sitting in the back of my truck that the diamondback keeps secure.

Have you ever had any concerns with stuff being stolen out of the bed of the truck while leaving it at the trailhead? That’s my biggest concern. Lots of $$$ sitting in the back of my truck that the diamondback keeps secure.
Never.
But I only keep the coolers in the bed.

I backcountry hunt, so besides my pack, very little in the truck. Maybe some extra food and extra clothing inside the cab.

Last edited:
Makes sense. Just always makes me nervous leaving several hundred $ worth of coolers in the back of the truck. Maybe I just need to be less paranoid.
I run a 110 quart cooler from Costco. If someones steals them whatever. I've had them 10-11 years. Tons of hunts. 18 trips home with full coolers. Point is no one is messing with them. Now they're old and look beat up so likely less appealing. Point is I'm not putting Yeti coolers back there. Here in ID, in October, a normal cooler works just fine.

I run a 110 quart cooler from Costco. If someones steals them whatever. I've had them 10-11 years. Tons of hunts. 18 trips home with full coolers. Point is no one is messing with them. Now they're old and look beat up so likely less appealing. Point is I'm not putting Yeti coolers back there. Here in ID, in October, a normal cooler works just fine.
Do you remember what brand the cooler is? May need to copy that idea.