What’s your biggest bobcat?

WKR
Amazed at the price of cat taxidermy. A full body would be cool but would drive the drahts wild.

I see a lot of bobcats but rarely kill one. Did see one a few years back on the juvenile hunt that I’d like to have mounted, but they weren’t in season.

Block

WKR
My 3 best cats.. 2 went over 30 on the bathroom scale.. the biggest I thought I remembered 37# but it coulda easily been 32# and the fish tale has just grown over the years lol I can’t be certain. But 32# sounds and looks more reasonable. They were both biggins tho. The 3rd is just prolly my “prettiest” but not a monster.

The big one in the first pic I started with some howls and had a few dogs answer back angry not far off at all…went to distress and saw eyes in the light. Heart shot it and it jumped close to 10’ vertical… realized it wasn’t a dog haha. Luckily cats weren’t closed back then in this lame state of Cali. That’s when I switched from red to green scope light for better ID

Attachments

• AFF28D6A-9B2D-4D72-B9C7-14ADA4EAD412.jpeg
    AFF28D6A-9B2D-4D72-B9C7-14ADA4EAD412.jpeg
    510.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 1FB0D482-01FC-4530-ACCE-A5892C453BA6.jpeg
    1FB0D482-01FC-4530-ACCE-A5892C453BA6.jpeg
    382.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 53BAF535-FDBC-459C-AA77-60E131DFBE3A.jpeg
    53BAF535-FDBC-459C-AA77-60E131DFBE3A.jpeg
    478 KB · Views: 67
OP
Rogue Bay

Rogue Bay

WKR
My 3 best cats.. 2 went over 30 on the bathroom scale.. the biggest I thought I remembered 37# but it coulda easily been 32# and the fish tale has just grown over the years lol I can’t be certain. But 32# sounds and looks more reasonable. They were both biggins tho. The 3rd is just prolly my “prettiest” but not a monster.

The big one in the first pic I started with some howls and had a few dogs answer back angry not far off at all…went to distress and saw eyes in the light. Heart shot it and it jumped close to 10’ vertical… realized it wasn’t a dog haha. Luckily cats weren’t closed back then in this lame state of Cali. That’s when I switched from red to green scope light for better ID
Those are dandies!

Vedauvoo

FNG
My hunting buddy shot a pig of a male bobcat on the West Desert of Utah. We took the cat to a Utah Division of Wildlife office where they weighed it at 46 lbs. Although no records are kept, this was the largest cat any of their biologists and wardens had seen.

The cat had a double chin!

For scale my friend's son is 6' 4".

200312 Josh Bobcat4.jpg

OP
Rogue Bay

Rogue Bay

WKR
My hunting buddy shot a pig of a male bobcat on the West Desert of Utah. We took the cat to a Utah Division of Wildlife office where they weighed it at 46 lbs. Although no records are kept, this was the largest cat any of their biologists and wardens had seen.

The cat had a double chin!

For scale my friend's son is 6' 4".

View attachment 534468
That thing is a tank! I hope that one went on the wall! Was he hunting with hounds?

OP
Rogue Bay

Rogue Bay

WKR
Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread. I’ve really enjoyed the photos and stories. Some incredible cats on here!

Vedauvoo

FNG
That thing is a tank! I hope that one went on the wall! Was he hunting with hounds?
No. We were hand calling at a place where we had seen cats before. Like most bobcats, this one just seem to materialize between 2 rocks at 230 yards. My friend shot it with his 243. The cat is now a full mount that resides in my buddy's sons home.

OP
Rogue Bay

Rogue Bay

WKR
No. We were hand calling at a place where we had seen cats before. Like most bobcats, this one just seem to materialize between 2 rocks at 230 yards. My friend shot it with his 243. The cat is now a full mount that resides in my buddy's sons home.
That’s definitely the cat of a lifetime. I’m glad to hear he got it mounted.

Out of curiosity, did the .243 do much hide damage? I’ve got a 6mm Remington that I’m planning to use for cat calling next season mainly because we have a lot of cougars here and I want to be properly equipped in case a long tail shows up. I‘ll be shooting 80 grain tipped copper hand loads and I’m hoping that won’t do too much damage to a bobcat pelt.

Vedauvoo

FNG
That’s definitely the cat of a lifetime. I’m glad to hear he got it mounted.

Out of curiosity, did the .243 do much hide damage? I’ve got a 6mm Remington that I’m planning to use for cat calling next season mainly because we have a lot of cougars here and I want to be properly equipped in case a long tail shows up. I‘ll be shooting 80 grain tipped copper hand loads and I’m hoping that won’t do too much damage to a bobcat pelt.
He was using rounds that I loaded for him. These were 85 gr. Barnes TSX. I loaded them down to about 3150 ft/sec. Seems like any 243 bullet is more likely to blow big holes in the hide, but this bullet at somewhat lower velocities seems to work well.

I use surgical suture to stitch up the holes. Our fur buyer doesn't seem to care as long as parts of the hide are not missing.

Here's another picture. The cat on the left is held by my 6' 6" friend. It was a more typical cat from that part of the desert - weighed about 35 lbs. His son is holding the fat cat.200312 Josh Bobcat4.jpg

OP
Rogue Bay

Rogue Bay

WKR
He was using rounds that I loaded for him. These were 85 gr. Barnes TSX. I loaded them down to about 3150 ft/sec. Seems like any 243 bullet is more likely to blow big holes in the hide, but this bullet at somewhat lower velocities seems to work well.

I use surgical suture to stitch up the holes. Our fur buyer doesn't seem to care as long as parts of the hide are not missing.

Here's another picture. The cat on the left is held by my 6' 6" friend. It was a more typical cat from that part of the desert - weighed about 35 lbs. His son is holding the fat cat.View attachment 534758
Those are both great cats!

Thanks for the info. My 6mm is loaded with 80 grain Barnes TTSX that my buddy loaded for me. I believe they’re shooting about 3200 fps. Hopefully that’s close enough to have similar results. I’ve shot a lot of critters from deer to bison with the TTSX out of my .338 Win. Mag and have been impressed by the four petal expansion and weight retention. I’m hoping that’s how they perform out of a smaller, faster caliber but time will tell.

Thanks again for the info and congrats on some great cats!

Last edited:

Vedauvoo

FNG
Thanks for starting an interesting thread.

I assume that bison in your avatar is the one you killed with the TTSX out of your 338 WM. Where did you hunt? Was it the 225 gr?

About 10 years ago I drew a tag to hunt bison in the Henry Mountains in Utah. Turns out I shot my bull with that same bullet, only out of a 338-06 AI. Were you astounded at how big these critters are?

I recovered the classically expanded 4 petal bullet. It entered behind the near shoulder, wreaked havoc on the lungs and aorta, and lodged against the hide behind the far shoulder.

230325 bison skull.jpg 230325 >338 225 gr bison bullet.jpg

...from bobcats to bison.

OP
Rogue Bay

Rogue Bay

WKR
Yep I sho

I assume that bison in your avatar is the one you killed with the TTSX out of your 338 WM. Where did you hunt? Was it the 225 gr?

About 10 years ago I drew a tag to hunt bison in the Henry Mountains in Utah. Turns out I shot my bull with that same bullet, only out of a 338-06 AI. Were you astounded at how big these critters are?

I recovered the classically expanded 4 petal bullet. It entered behind the near shoulder, wreaked havoc on the lungs and aorta, and lodged against the hide behind the far shoulder.

View attachment 535095 View attachment 535094

...from bobcats to bison

View attachment 535095 View attachment 535094

...from bobcats to bison.
Yep I shot that bull in Montana. I’d seen hundreds of bison before, some at very close range, but wasn’t prepared for the size when you have one on the ground. It was the first time I’ve walked up on something I shot and had no idea what I was going to do 😂.

I shot him with my .338 Win Mag and 225 grain Barnes TTSX. I bumped this small group of bulls several times and they wouldn’t let me get within 300-400 yards. I finally belly crawled to 205. The first shot was behind the shoulder and he spun 180 degrees so I let him have another one behind the other shoulder. Just like on your bull, I recovered both bullets under the skin on the opposite side. Both of them looked just like yours! I’ve killed a bunch of elk and bears with those rounds and every one I’ve recovered looks the same. I’m hoping that holds true out of my 6mm!