What’s your biggest bobcat?

Rogue Bay

WKR
For all you cat hunters and trappers out there, what’s the biggest cat you’ve come across? I’ve read some threads on this topic on other forums and am impressed with the size of some of the northern cats. Debates and arguments seem to frequently break out too.

Between the cats I’ve caught/shot and the many, many cats I’ve seen, I’ve not seen one that would break 30 pounds. One year while dove hunting a big cat walked up on my buddy and I that I’m confident was in the upper 20’s. ThT was the biggest one I’ve seen in the flesh.

I used to hunt bobcat with an older houndsman who had as much experience running bobs as anybody I’ve met and his biggest was a 33 pound tom. Keep in mind this is western Oregon where we don’t get the size of cats they see in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Maine, etc. I’ve also lived and hunted in eastern Oregon and Montana but haven’t come across one of those giants.

I’d love to hear about yours and see some pics!

For all you cat hunters and trappers out there, what’s the biggest cat you’ve come across? I’ve read some threads on this topic on other forums and am impressed with the size of some of the northern cats. Debates and arguments seem to frequently break out too.

Between the cats I’ve caught/shot and the many, many cats I’ve seen, I’ve not seen one that would break 30 pounds. One year while dove hunting a big cat walked up on my buddy and I that I’m confident was in the upper 20’s. ThT was the biggest one I’ve seen in the flesh.

I used to hunt bobcat with an older houndsman who had as much experience running bobs as anybody I’ve met and his biggest was a 33 pound tom. Keep in mind this is western Oregon where we don’t get the size of cats they see in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Maine, etc. I’ve also lived and hunted in eastern Oregon and Montana but haven’t come across one of those giants.

I’d love to hear about yours and see some pics!
I have called in quite a few cats in CO, MT, and NM. The average for my tom cats is around 28 lbs I did get one really long legged heavy cat in CO that weighed 32 lbs officially. Most of my females runabout 24-25. With good prime hair they look like monsters but cats are deceiving.

OP
Rogue Bay

Rogue Bay

WKR
Yeah cats are like bears, most people overestimate their size. It’s easy to do!

32 pounds is a stud! A 24-25 pound average for females is great. Most of mine have gone 15-17 pounds. I’d like to have the chance to hunt or trap where there’s a good chance at a 30 pound Bob!

Thanks for sharing! I’ve not done much cat calling so I’d love to pick your brain a little some time if you don’t mind?

OP
Rogue Bay

Rogue Bay

WKR
Killed a 36 lbs in Webb county Texas ( won a Buck knife in a contest)
saw a 45+ eating a dead pelican down @ the ocelot sanctuary where spotted cats are protected
That’s a monster! From the photos I’ve seen Texas has some beautiful cats with the nice rosette markings. Would make a beautiful mount for sure.

OP
Rogue Bay

Rogue Bay

WKR
Killed a 32lber back in my deadly woodsman days. Lifesize in the man cave today.
Now I'm unable to call in anything with fur.
I have the same problem LOL. I had a full body at one point but it’s been at a friend’s house for years because I didn’t have room to take it when we moved. I still have a beautiful rug of a nice silver, heavily spotted cat. I never planned to have another bobcat mounted but a 30+ pounder would sent that sentiment right out the window!

OP
Rogue Bay

Rogue Bay

WKR
I have caught 3 in the 28-29 pound range. My biggest was 32 lbs. Most my Tom's average around 22ish and females around 17ish. The big wide cat was the 32 pounder. Without an actual scale most people severely over judge their weight. View attachment 531242
That seems to be about the averages we see here, at least from my experience. I know there are some outliers running around though.

Those are some beautiful hides! Do you mind me asking what kind of stretchers you use? I’ve just have some old wire stretcher and would like to get some better ones.

OP
Rogue Bay

Rogue Bay

WKR
My uncle took the VT state record with hounds years ago at 49.5lbs. I believe the NH record is 52lbs.
I’ve seen photos of some giant bobs coming from the upper Midwest and New England states. Wisconsin seems to produce some bruisers too.

We have so many cats here it seems silly to pay for a guided trip elsewhere but I’d love to have a chance at ones of those giants. I can’t even fathom something 40+!

Laramie

WKR
My biggest is from Nebraska. I called him in on opening day. He weighed 38 pounds at the taxidermist after sitting in a freezer for a while. To date, that is the largest that particular taxidermist has done.
1679077723560.png

Tullis94

WKR
That seems to be about the averages we see here, at least from my experience. I know there are some outliers running around though.

Those are some beautiful hides! Do you mind me asking what kind of stretchers you use? I’ve just have some old wire stretcher and would like to get some better ones.
Thank you! When I originally started using wood I bought a few stretchers from a guy in Colorado. I believe his name is Otis Latham, and they are excellent! I still use them but I now make my own with a similar design. I made a few modifications that seem to fit the cats from my areas necks a little better.

OP
Rogue Bay

Rogue Bay

WKR
Thank you! When I originally started using wood I bought a few stretchers from a guy in Colorado. I believe his name is Otis Latham, and they are excellent! I still use them but I now make my own with a similar design. I made a few modifications that seem to fit the cats from my areas necks a little better.
That’s very impressive! It definitely shows in the quality of fur you're producing!

Thanks for the info on Otis. I’ll see if I can find him online. There are so many options available and I just don’t have the knowledge to feel comfortable that I’m making a good decision LOL.

Thanks again!

OP
Rogue Bay

Rogue Bay

WKR
Probably for ever...he is to far from where we turkey and deer hunt to have any impact on our animals...
I totally get that! Back when I was hunting them with hounds we had certain area where we would run cats, but never harvested them there.

Yeah cats are like bears, most people overestimate their size. It’s easy to do!

32 pounds is a stud! A 24-25 pound average for females is great. Most of mine have gone 15-17 pounds. I’d like to have the chance to hunt or trap where there’s a good chance at a 30 pound Bob!

Thanks for sharing! I’ve not done much cat calling so I’d love to pick your brain a little some time if you don’t mind?
Yeah no problem it's a lot of fun it's not as fast paced as coyotes for sure and don't pass a coyote early in the stand no matter what some might say.