What's The Oldest Rifle You Hunt With?

I just acquired a Savage Model 99 from my old man that was my grandfather's. 402XXX serial number, believe it was made in 41. I'm going to get some dies for it and try to find a vintage 4x scope, make it my new whitetail gun.
Also have a Winchester 94, if have to look the numbers up again but I think it's from the 50s.
The nostalgia of an old handed down rifle is special, maybe I'll kill a deer with it wearing the handed down woolrich hunting suit to bring it full circle.

Grumman

WKR
Ive killed several with my 1951 model 94 Winchester. I love the character and quality of old guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

541hunter

WKR
Killed my first buck with a Springfield 1903 03A3 that was made in 1918. It was my very first rifle. It sits in the safe now.

OP
lyle_destroys
Ive killed several with my 1951 model 94 Winchester. I love the character and quality of old guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had to kill a deer with that 94 32spl before my old man would let me buy a new scoped rifle. I'd like to get one in 30-30.

OP
lyle_destroys
This year, it's an original 1873 Springfield & an 1898-1901 Mauser.
So 147 & 119-122 years old, respectively.

I had the Mauser out in wyoming for elk, the Springer is coming after whitetail with me all this season (well, until I christen it!)
The mauser in 8mm?

rayporter

WKR
i have 22 falling block single shot 22 that has been in the family for at least 130 years. its good for dillers at night.
edit
it has been passed down from kid to kid in the family and been all over the country. it was in salt lake city befor it got to me again. it was my first rifle and i am giving it to my nephew for his kids.

not a rifle but grandpas" model 97 winchester=age who knows. dad was born in 1918 and it was around then.

robtattoo

WKR
That's a cool cartridge, handloads?
I guess the 8mm Mauser wasn't around till later than that.

I have to handload for it. Ammo is available but it's stupid expensive & rare as hen's teeth. Mostly it's all 1950's & 60s vintage European stuff.
9x57 became common after WWII when the was a ban on all military calibers in Germany. Many guns were freshed out to 9 or 9.3mm. Brass is easily formed by necking up 8mm

brn2hnt

WKR
My Dad's savage 99 (300 sav) made in 1935 according to serial number search.

He bought it used some time before h enlisted in the Airforce during Vietnam and used it to kill just about everything the state of MT had to offer while stationed at a radar base there.

My wife took her first big game animal with it, however the bullet performance of the Rem cor-lokt on that animal spurred me to accelerate my reloading efforts for it. 😂

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have my grandfathers 1943 Winchester model 61. My dad passed it on to me when I bought my 200 acre property 7 years ago now. He wanted it to continue to be used since he doesn’t hunt anymore.

It’s killed more animals than all of my other rifles combined. It started its life in the south deserts of Arizona killing rabbits, snakes, coyotes and javalina. It took some time off after my grandfather passed away in 2006 until I acquired it in 2013.

Here in California it’s killed cottontails, Jack rabbits, bobcats, coyotes, and thousands of squirrels. It’s living on and being used just about every week. I would never sell this rifle, even if for some reason it was worth $10,000 dollars some day.

I just acquired a Savage Model 99 from my old man that was my grandfather's. 402XXX serial number, believe it was made in 41. I'm going to get some dies for it and try to find a vintage 4x scope, make it my new whitetail gun.
Also have a Winchester 94, if have to look the numbers up again but I think it's from the 50s.
The nostalgia of an old handed down rifle is special, maybe I'll kill a deer with it wearing the handed down woolrich hunting suit to bring it full circle.
I shot this cow caribou with a model 99 .250 savage td this past August. Serial 219xxx manufactured in 1920, bought new by my grandfather shortly thereafter for northern wisconsin deer. Handed down by my father. Maybe my last hunt with it, going to be my grand daughter’s soon.

Attachments

• 49E530F0-86AA-476B-99ED-5F1239D5C87D.jpeg
    49E530F0-86AA-476B-99ED-5F1239D5C87D.jpeg
    673.6 KB · Views: 18
A few shotguns from the 1920’s and 1930’s get regular use - Win 12 and Rem 11. Several rifles from the 1950’s through the 1970’s and a custom Mauser 98 whose action is 100+ I guess.

Jrinny

FNG
Like a few of the other guys - I hunt with my grandfathers 1953 savage 99 in 300 savage. Looking forward to taking it afield as much as I can

OP
lyle_destroys
I have my grandfathers 1943 Winchester model 61. My dad passed it on to me when I bought my 200 acre property 7 years ago now. He wanted it to continue to be used since he doesn’t hunt anymore.

It’s killed more animals than all of my other rifles combined. It started its life in the south deserts of Arizona killing rabbits, snakes, coyotes and javalina. It took some time off after my grandfather passed away in 2006 until I acquired it in 2013.

Here in California it’s killed cottontails, Jack rabbits, bobcats, coyotes, and thousands of squirrels. It’s living on and being used just about every week. I would never sell this rifle, even if for some reason it was worth $10,000 dollars some day.
What cartridge is that?

OP
lyle_destroys
I shot this cow caribou with a model 99 .250 savage td this past August. Serial 219xxx manufactured in 1920, bought new by my grandfather shortly thereafter for northern wisconsin deer. Handed down by my father. Maybe my last hunt with it, going to be my grand daughter’s soon.
I'd really like to walk into one in .250 for a good deal. That thing was ahead of it's time.