What's the deal with everyone using suppresors?

I honestly want to know. I don't get the need for one on a rifle. I've noticed on SM that a lot of these guys are using one and have seen pictures of people using them on here. I just don't get the need for one. Can someone fill me in? Is there some unknown advantage (other than obviously being more quiet) that I'm missing? Or are people just using them to look cool?
Please type louder.

Since the argument about animals not being able to pinpoint the sound isn't quantifiable, that's not the real reason. Most of the time, if the animal isn't already in alert mode, you shoot and miss, they likely won't even lift their head. If they do, it's because they heard something but it wasn't alarming.

As a rule of thumb, suppressors don't reduce recoil as a much as a muzzlebrake does.

Many of us have no problem dropping $400 on a pair of boots that will keep us safe for a couple of years but can’t fathom spending twice the money on something that will keep you safe (and make you shoot better) for the rest of your life with little maintenance.

The rate of return and investment on boots is higher than a suppressor, especially when the suppressor is spread out over a lifetime.

I don't buy it that a suppressor will make you safer and shoot better. Firearm safety is a behavior. So is accuracy.

I don't buy it that a suppressor will make you safer and shoot better. Firearm safety is a behavior. So is accuracy.
I think he meant the safety of your hearing. As for shooting better, I have noticed people (in general) shoot better suppressed due to the lack of concussion. Everyone on the internet is a man's man who would never flinch from recoil or concussion but people in real life somehow still do.

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
I have been buying cans since 2004 and have quit a few for various applications. The most satisfaction I get out of any of them is on a bolt gun while hunting. Less noise, less recoil, and I usually forego earpro when actually hunting (but wear it on the range).

My 300 Wby Accumark is really tamed by the can. I am not remotely recoil sensitive (obviously since I am shooting a 300 Wby), but it allows me to see my hits and how the animal reacts. I am back on target faster for a follow up shot if needed.

Once I started hunting with a can, I have not gone back.

I do not agree with the rokslide trend of cutting barrels short. I am not willing to sacrifice velocity and terminal performance.

If you don't want a can, don't buy one. It is a free country (sort of).

The NFA thing really isn't a big deal, particularly if you use a dealer with a SilencerShop kiosk. You pretty much just fire and forget about it, and 9 months later you get an e-mail and pick up your can. It is unconsitutional, but for now it is the law, and if I let it stop me, then the gun grabbers have won.

mt100gr.

WKR
I told a buddy yesterday that I've almost forgotten what an unsuppressed shot sounds like in close proximity. I'd like to never hear one again!

I got into suppressors for the obvious benefits to my own hearing and hunting, but more so for my girls. They really enjoy shooting, but it was obviously uncomfortable for them before suppressors. Kind of a "why are we doing this?" activity. I live on a couple acres without HOA or covenants of any kind. But guns are obnoxious and I do have neighbors. The fewer people know that I am shooting, the better. We shoot a lot more with suppressors available, and can do it in our back yard.

Lastly, I enjoy predator hunting at night. Some areas are easily within earshot of homes and businesses. Rifle shots at night are alarming, no getting around it.

I would argue that anyone will shoot more and become a better shot with suppressed rifles. The added weight vs barrel length vs velocity loss vs ??? reasoning is simply a list of tradeoffs. Mostly silly ones.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
OK, I admit it. I am a wimp and try hard to fit in with the cool kids too.

Some men are more manly men. Apparently some women and kids are more manly than me too.

I can’t handle muzzle blast. Shooting unsuppressed sucks, to wimps like me.

I couldn’t bring my comfort blanket in the backcountry because the suppressor weighed too much. I have to snuggle with the suppressor when I suck my thumb.

I like listening to YoYo Ma play classical music so I like not blowing out my ears more than necessary.

I have a thin skull, so I get a headache shooting around brakes.

The suppressor was so long I had to cut my barrel too.

Yes, I take pictures with my suppressor and hope to look cool.

Some men are more manly men. Apparently some women and kids are more manly than me too.

I can’t handle muzzle blast. Shooting unsuppressed sucks, to wimps like me.
It's kind of crazy when I think about it. I've seen like under 10 people ever admit they flinch from recoil/muzzle blast online but seemingly 80-90% of hunters I've met flinch. Of course they shoot big magnums (infrequently) but still it's an interesting paradigm.

mt100gr.

WKR
The rate of return and investment on boots is higher than a suppressor, especially when the suppressor is spread out over a lifetime.

You will shoot more, and in turn, become a better shot. All the while, protecting your hearing! Which is in fact safety!!

Robobiss

FNG

I guess it depends what you consider ROI. If I can get a little kid to comfortably shoot a .243 with a suppressor because it stuffs a lot of the recoil and noise, that’s a win for me. If I can get my in kid in the woods hunting two or three years sooner by using a suppressor, that’s a hell of a ROI for me. That makes it worth it right there. Not to mention I can take it off of Jr’s model 7 and slap it on any of my rifles to use as well. Very modular and multi-use.

Yeah I was referencing the hearing safety aspect. I agree, safety is a behavior. I’m not talking about being less likely to ND. Just that you’re more likely to preserve your hearing. Every. Single. Shit that you take without ear pro is slowly chipping away at your hearing. Every one of them. I am no longer concerned about this in a hunting situation.

Shooting better however is almost without question. It’s well documented that recoil affects accuracy. Give (almost) anyone a .223 and a 300 WM of similar configuration and weight and it’s of little question which rifle the shooter will be more accurate with. You can train the crap out of your brain all you want and tell it not to be afraid. No matter what you are more flinchy with the heavier recoiling gun. The relationship between recoil and accuracy is pretty well documented.

A muzzle brake accomplishes this recoil mitigation as well, no doubt, but at the detriment of hearing safety. Muzzle brakes are hard to make hearing safe even with double ear pro. They are effing loud. Not to mention, the concussive sound effects shooter accuracy and comfortability with the weapon as well. I’d be willing to bet that on average, most shooters will make more/better hits at distance with a suppressor instead of a brake, but I’m no expert so YMMV.

Everyone can do what they want with the money they earn. I just know for a fact that I will never shoot unsuppressed again unless I absolutely have to. It’s exponentially more enjoyable for me.

WCB

WKR
Benefits are sound suppression and reduced recoil. I would like one for Predator and Varmint hunting. And I would probably through it on a couple of my rifles for big game. I've shot a bunch suppressed including full autos. They are nice but I don't get all worked up over a gun having them or not.

I can get pretty steep industry discounts on them but the sticking point for my 100% is paying $200 to big brother to then have the ability to buy the item. Even though my discount would more than offset that it is complete B.S.

mt100gr.

WKR
Noise suppressors required on lawnmowers, chainsaws, cars, motorcycles, Jake brakes prohibited in towns, ..........
In addition, guys buy boats to enhance their enjoyment recreating on the water and to make fishing more enjoyable and comfortable. But they're a pain in the ass to own, transport and store. Campers make another, sometimes uncomfortable hobby more enjoyable and comfortable, also a pain in the ass. But most probably never crawl into a tent where a camper will fit after owning one....the list goes on...4 wheelers, side by sides, F**king horses for crying out loud.....

Suppressors are an obvious progression for those who shoot for recreation, even infrequently. The cost compared to the above is moot, and around here, most people store their boats for a 9 month wait time, anyway....and hardly anyone I know actually use their horses....

Last edited:

Robobiss

FNG
In addition, guys buy boats to enhance their enjoyment recreating on the water and to make fishing more enjoyable and comfortable. But they're a pain in the ass to own, transport and store. Campers make another, sometimes uncomfortable hobby more enjoyable and comfortable, also a pain in the ass. But most probably never crawl into a tent where a camper will fit after owning one....the list goes on.

Suppressors are an obvious progression for those who shoot for recreation. The cost compared to the above is moot, and around here, most people store their boats for a 9 month wait time, anyway....
Good comparison here. None are necessarily but can greatly enhance the experience with some drawbacks.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
the friends who i have taken hunting while i'm shooting suppressed and they're carrying cannons have all put in for cans. i shoot an animal, it falls (well, if i hit it...). they shoot the next one and the critters scatter to the wind. my elk this year took the first shot and didn't know where to run. it just bedded down in front of me so i could finish it off.

i took out a new tikka .243 yesterday that sadly isn't threaded. even though i was wearing hearing protection i can tell my ears are ringing more than normal a day later. screw that.

shooting/hunting is an expensive sport/hobby. $200 stamp, $300-1000 suppressor, and 6-12 months wait is just another cost for me to enjoy my firearms. if that cost is too much for too little gain for you, such is life. to each their own.

and as mentioned before, when you hand someone a suppressed .22LR or .300 BLK shooting subs, it generally results in one hell of a smile and a statement approximating OMFG, lemme shoot that again.

5-7 inches on the end of the rifle in theory sounded like a pain in the ass to me, and even now just thinking about it, it does. But after hunting all year with one, taking 3 animals across 3 different habitat types, with my rifle in a gun bearer, I am also in the benefits way outweigh the cons camp. Aside from the benefits of reduced recoil, muzzle blast, sound (and the accuracy inducing benefits thereof), reduced disturbance to animals etc, the ability to hear my bullet impact has been a surprisingly awesome benefit. The watermelon like "THWOP" of a chest cavity impact is immediately confirmed. Ive hunted mountain merriams with my 28 inch barreled shotgun for decades, my current 22 inch 270 barrel with a 6 inch can is no different.