What's the deal with everyone using suppresors?

ewade07

WKR
I honestly want to know. I don't get the need for one on a rifle. I've noticed on SM that a lot of these guys are using one and have seen pictures of people using them on here. I just don't get the need for one. Can someone fill me in? Is there some unknown advantage (other than obviously being more quiet) that I'm missing? Or are people just using them to look cool?

OP
ewade07

ewade07

WKR
What kind of rifle are you talking about? I Have a suppressed 300 AAC and shooting subsonic is just plain fun. Everyone I hand the rifle to has a smile on their face when done.
No idea on specific calibers, just have seen people using them more and more on SM

Sled

WKR
Lots of info on this topic. Post #2 gave a good summary though.

Noise and recoil reduction are the main reasons I bought mine. The kids are much more comfortable and confident while shooting. Like MT_Wyatt stated, the game react differently to shots fired through a suppressor. I can’t remember how many times I’ve shot multiple deer from a herd. They just hop around confused and I keep shooting. Oh, and then there’s the pest control around the house that the neighbors never know about…

In addition, no, it's not to look cool. From an article I saw, "Interestingly, in many European countries, suppressors on firearms are mandatory to make target shooting and hunting quieter and less disturbing to neighbors. Firearm owners in France, for example, are fined and penalized for firing guns without a suppressor to quiet the noise." I didn't fact check this claim, however.

I know I never want to shoot an unsuppressed rifle again.

Last edited:
Lack of additional hearing damage. My ears are fooked from years of gunfire, chainsaws and general heavy industrial noise.

I wish I had proper training for hearing protection in the workplace and suppressors 20 years ago. Being semi deaf sucks.
This exactly for me. Now I chop barrels short, run a can, and if the situation allows, put in ear pro.

You nailed it. I bought mine, paid an extra $200 to Uncle Sam, waited 11 months, and carry the additional length and weight because it looks cool. That said, a tiny benefit is reduced noise per shot, which may or may not matter to some.

Stalker69

WKR
Lack of additional hearing damage. My ears are fooked from years of gunfire, chainsaws and general heavy industrial noise.

I wish I had proper training for hearing protection in the workplace and suppressors 20 years ago. Being semi deaf sucks.
What ? we still wear hearing protection when shooting hunting rifles with them. It helps but don’t “ silence “ them nearly that much. Unless your talking .22 s or subsonic. Buddies have them, I just don’t see the need either. I feel a lot, the biggest part of it is the “cool factor. “ It don’t make the weapon any more accurate, in fact some they have issues with theirs being a bit less accurate. They don’t kill any more animals then the ones in camp without them. To me personally, I hate the way they make the gun look, I am not going to cut my ballers shorter, you have to go through the hassle of getting the permit, tax stamp or what ever it’s called. They don’t do nearly enough for me to go through any of that crap.

Last edited:

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You nailed it. I bought mine, paid an extra $200 to Uncle Sam, waited 11 months, and carry the additional length and weight because it looks cool. That said, a tiny benefit is reduced noise per shot, which may or may not matter to some.
Huge benefit when it comes to hunting and game can’t isolate the sound and don’t react with alarm to typical shots out west.

Don’t forget that.