147 eldm vs 156 EOL terminal and external ballistics

Savage Ultralite 6.5 PRC with Proof barrel...

Hand-loads
147 gr ELD-M 3050 fps (1800 fps @ 1100 yards)
156 gr Berger 3025 fps (1800 fps @ 1075 yards)

COTS
147 gr ELD-M 2910 fps (1800 fps @ 975 yards - pulled from barrel break-in)

Never had a bullet come apart in mid-flight.

So far I've only used this rifle to kill Coues whitetail. Closest shot on a Coues was about 325 on a bedded buck; he never got up. Furthest shot was about 850 with a high shoulder shot; buck dropped and that was that. Lots of Coues bucks have fallen between those two distances with similar results.

It is a high confidence setup for me and I'd have no qualms using it to hunt almost all big game species in North America.

I’ve got a good H4350/147 grain ELD-M load for my 20” Tikka 6.5 CM UPR.

2640 FPS muzzle velocity and I took it out to 1K this week. Got several hits on a smallish steel plate once I got the wind figured out. If the BCs are correct on the box, the 147 ELDM leaving the muzzle at 2640 FPS will still have the speed/energy to take a whitetail beyond the range I would comfortably shoot.

I think the 147 ELDM is a great projectile for 6.5 CM. It’s not going super fast from the muzzle so it’s effective at 20-30 yard tree stand shots to waaaay out there.

Nbowlin

Lil-Rokslider
I just posted an old video I had of a 156 hitting concrete house siding in front of bleach bottles at 500yds and the recovered projectile. fwiw
Its on the instantgram. sgw_idaho

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
IMG_0787.jpegIMG_0789.jpegIMG_0792.jpeg
156 impacting at 2400fps. Through both shoulders and heart. The far shoulder was thrown away. The close-side shoulder had a tiny pin prick through it.

Animal moved 20 yards and expired.

IMG_0932.jpeg
IMG_0933.jpeg
IMG_0999.jpeg
156 impacting 2500fps. Animal was quartering toward. Shot in the brisket area in front of the close shoulder, exitted well behind the far shoulder.

Both lungs hit. Only far lung was torn up. Animal fully expired in ~90 seconds with no follow up shot

Closest I've shot an animal with 156's would be still 2550fps impact velocity. Furthest was 2200fps. This year I had to put four into the front half of a mule before he expired.

Performance has been pretty consistent. They do not explode the vitals by any means, but don't suck either. Lung-only impacts often get some follow up/mercy shots because it they can take a couple minutes to die

Last edited:
Keep the ELD-M above 1,800fps impact. 1,900fps better. Yes, they can and will upset below that, however they also start being erratic at times.

The Berger I want 1,900fps, and 2,000fpsnis better. Yes, they can and will upset below this, they also start getting erratic at times.

Zero issues. Shoot the animals in the front half.

Completely overblown. Not functionally detectable in the field. It’s a non issue.

Yes. Though they generally kill fine down to around 1,900fps impact.

No. The 147’s go through any bone in the front half. Lots of people see a large entrance wound and believe the bullet “blew up”…. As they are standing over a dead animal with holes in both lungs and the base of the bullet on the offside.

Of course there aren’t pictures, because it is not a real thing.

For most uses they are functionally the same. The biggest difference is that the Berger will have a 3-6” neck length before upset begins, and the ELD-M will have a sub 1” neck length. As well, the Berger will tend to have a rounder/slightly wider wound channel, the ELD-M will be slightly narrower and longer- more like an elongated circle.

Form

I’ve always used the minimum terminal velocity of 1600 FPS with various ELDMs for simplicity when doing ballistic tables. I figured they were very similar to ELDX. For the 147 ELDM, just to confirm what is the safe range for performance on thin skinned game out of a 1:8 twist 6.5 CM? Thank you.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Form

I’ve always used the minimum terminal velocity of 1600 FPS with various ELDMs for simplicity when doing ballistic tables. I figured they were very similar to ELDX. For the 147 ELDM, just to confirm what is the safe range for performance on thin skinned game out of a 1:8 twist 6.5 CM? Thank you.

Both ELD-M and ELD-X’s is 1,800fps. Below that and you will start getting bullets that don’t upset.

BlaserR93

FNG
I’m now using 147eldm in my 6.5prc for culling here in Australia. Mainly fallow deer. Just this weekend we took 12 does and the performance has been spectacular. so far the longest kill has been at 519 meters.
in the 2 seasons running the 147eldm I’ve taken close to 100 fallow deer, feral goats and 2 mature Sambar (size if a solid muley). I’m now a big believer. The worst performing projectiles have been the Hornady 123sst
I Will continue this season culling with the 147eldm as I am very impressed. This comes after using the 6.5prc over 4 years with approximately 200+ kills on deer and deer size critters.
cheers
John

D R T

FNG
I’m now using 147eldm in my 6.5prc for culling here in Australia. Mainly fallow deer. Just this weekend we took 12 does and the performance has been spectacular. so far the longest kill has been at 519 meters.
in the 2 seasons running the 147eldm I’ve taken close to 100 fallow deer, feral goats and 2 mature Sambar (size if a solid muley). I’m now a big believer. The worst performing projectiles have been the Hornady 123sst
I Will continue this season culling with the 147eldm as I am very impressed. This comes after using the 6.5prc over 4 years with approximately 200+ kills on deer and deer size critters.
cheers
John
Wow! What’s been your closest shots and the 147’s performance at higher impact velocities?

H80Hunter

WKR
I shot a doe during our late doe season, 147 ELDM at about 80 yards. Performance was good. Rear lung damage and some liver just pulverized. Got an exit, although I don’t think it was all the bullet just pieces of the jacket maybe. Impact velocity according to Hornady app should have been ~2700 fps (tikka 6.5 PRC).

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
I filled a 3rd season Mule Deer doe tag this year with the 6.5 PRC sending a 156 Berger at 2930 FPS MV. I think she was maybe 60 yards, broadside uphill. Didn't range it, was on 4X power, aimed center lungs and squeezed. She jumped straight up, landed, ran a 20 yard semi circle and flopped. Caliber entry through a rib bone, golf ball exit through rib bone, obviously shattered the offside one. Lung damage was larger, like a baseball wound cavity. Heart was intact and untouched.