What’s everyone’s favorite lunch when hunting and hiking the mountains?

Can of smoked oysters, an orange, 1/2 pack of ritz crackers, Trader Joe’s montmarcy dried cherries, some dark chocolate.

Replace the smoked oysters with devilled ham

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I like to hit a spot in the morning and then go back to base camp for lunch, and then hit a different spot in the evening. It's easy to rack up some miles that way. So for lunch in camp I really like precooked ribs that I put on the mini grill and heat them up and get them crispy. Or a ribeye steak, or Italian sausage sandwiches, etc. I like lunch. But for all day trips out......maybe a ham and swiss sandwich with mustard.

Mt Al

WKR
Jerky, string cheese or extra sharp cheddar and some small candy bars. I also bring two large Gatorade bottles if I'm on a longer trek, one if shorter. Really like that stuff.

A proven source of late season hunting lunch candy in my family was "Halloween Candy Tax" - where the Tax Man (me) would rummage through my kids Halloween bag the morning after Trick or Treat and take mostly Snickers, which have been mentioned in this thread previously several times. I dissected a Snickers for my kids, showing peanuts and convinced them that some health freak was pushing gross peanuts on kids, and that peanuts are not to be confused with real candy. I wanted my taxpayers (kids: 2) to maximize their candy income, so I could maximize my take without undue burden on their efforts, so I brought them to large neighborhoods where the houses are close together. I made a big deal out of it, telling them "no small talk! Just get the candy, yell 'thank you!' and run to the next house. Our goal is max candy, not fun. Stick and move, stick and move!"

I strongly recommend this strategy and really miss it since my kids are way past Halloween age.

bluumoon

WKR
Pepperoni rolls are my jam. Easy to pre-make and packable. Frozen bread dough let is rise and tear into roll size pieces, flatten and top with thin sliced pepperoni, +/- cheese/sliced peppers of your choice, roll them up and bake at 325 until golden in color. They taste better warmed up, but good to go cold.

I don’t call it lunch. In the field or at home I eat every 2-3 hours during the day. In the field it will be either a ProBar, jerky, trail mix, tortilla with cheese/pepperoni or the daily treat of a candy bar. Beyond that I don’t have time to make it, keep it cold or don’t want to carry it.

Coues7777

FNG
Peanut butter and jelly in a tortilla...
Tuna "ranch" they come in packets not in cans so it's lightweight...
Homemade Jerky....
Snickers, oatmeal, granola, etc.

amassi

WKR
Plain bagel
Rx chocolate peanut butter
Pre cooked bacon
Honey

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
I hit up a taqueria on my way out to the trail the night before. Grab a couple rice and bean burritos and take those the next day, along with some cashews, carrots, and dried fruit.

HoneyDew

WKR
This here.

Extended backpack hunts:
-a tortilla with a peanut butter packet, and two jelly packets
-tortilla with packet of tuna, spam, salmon, etc with a mayo or mustard packet and cheese stick

Upcoming caribou hunt I just made and sealed 10 varying versions of butt hole sandwiches.

with lunch I usually have some sort of fruit and trail mix
How does one “vary” a butt hole sandwich? I think I’ve only ever heard of three ingredients so I guess you could leave one off. What am I missing?

cusecat04

FNG
venison jerky; just finished a batch for upcoming hunts
dried mangos
handful of almonds

easy to premake a few baggies and have them ready, once I've burned through those I repack at one time

do this for elk and whiteail camps. Repack the pack before turning in at night as it lets me be ready in the morning as my hunting partner scrambles to get his sandwhich, cookies, etc in a brown bag as I sit back and drink coffee before we head out.

Hnthrdr

WKR
A midday bugle and big gulp of fresh mountain air is typically all I need to keep going

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
PB&J, tortillas and sliced up summer sausage, or trail mix. Gas station sandwich in a pinch. Dried fruit and/or bars and cookies if I'm going deluxe. I'm simple and hate messy food in the field.

Whisky

WKR
Croissant sandwiches hold up OK.
Tangy summer sausage, sharp cheddar slices, packet of mayo, packet of mustard.