What’s everyone’s favorite lunch when hunting and hiking the mountains?

T28w

WKR
Tortilla with peanut butter packets and midnight special Milky Way minis.

By this logic we can carry beer too! I like the way you think.

I've certainly done that too, although I avoid the lunch beer when hunting.

Dropping a coke into the hydration sleeve of your pack next to a bladder filled with ice water is a good way to keep it cold. If you don't run a bladder, fill a Nalgene with ice water and then wrap the Nalgene and a can in your jacket and stuff it in the pack.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I always end up with big breakfast, big dinner, and snack all day (no lunch).

I make homemade trail mix, one sweet and one spicy mix. Between the trail mix, bars, jerkey, and high calorie crackers I’m good to go. Usually two or three “lunches happen” depends on movement.

rideold

WKR
I used to make peanut butter and cheddar sandwiches. They'll keep you going. Lots of calories and fat to satisfy. If not the PB&C then I go for turkey or ham sandwiches. These days I'm happy to carry a small stove to make freeze dry. That hot lunch on a cold and snowy day makes all the difference in the world.

Tortillas, honey and peanut butter or almond butter pouches.

Pepperoni, cheese and crackers.

Chicken pouches with mayo packets and crackers.

Homemade trail mix.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Peanut Butter and raisin Tortilla.
Baby Bel Cheese.
Build a small fire and warm up a can of Beanie Weenies.
Fig Newtons
Cheez its.

Last edited:

ODB

WKR

I make homemade trail mix, one sweet and one spicy mix. Between the trail mix, bars, jerkey, and high calorie crackers I’m good to go. Usually two or three “lunches happen” depends on movement.

Funny - I am the opposite. Small breakfast, large lunch, small dinner. Too much late food and I simply dont sleep.

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
Peanut butter and jelly on a tortilla. I even bring some chips.

Lowg08

WKR
I’ll mention something that well it isn’t my favorite it sure does provide some much needed calories on colder days.

Rice crispy treat with peanut butter on it with slices of summer sausage on that.

mlgc20

WKR

We do a variation on this. We get up and get hunting first thing. No breakfast/coffee/etc. Then later in the morning we will make some version of breakfast tacos or oatmeal, and always with hot chocolate. Then we may snack on Kind bars, fruit, or trail mix the rest of the day. Then dinner back at camp at the end of the day.

Drenalin

WKR
I tend to eat a variety of stuff through the course of a day rather than an official lunch. My rule of thumb is to basically eat like a teenager. Landjaegers, maple bacon jerky, Mingua jerky, Fritos, Combos, BabyBel cheeses…stuff you can buy at any good truck stop.

For a real lunch I want a meaty sandwich. I’m burned out on bagels and tortillas, but naan bread works for me. Two naan rounds, four slices of salami, a serving of pepperoni, two slices of muenster cheese, and a packet of olive oil for lubrication comes out to almost 900 calories at about 7.4 ounces. Which isn’t a great ratio, but good enough, and often worth it to have something I actually like.

Okhotnik

WKR
smoked oysters, dragon brand Pho from Costco with tuna in a foil packet and diried Nouri seaweed, hard cheese and if water, catch a trout ( filleted and cut in small pieces) cooked in instant garlic mashed potatoes. I always carry a bag of flaming Cheetos if Im lucky and shoot something

RedTimber

FNG
I’m looking specifically for lunch ideas here.

Preferably not dehydrated/freeze dried because I have no intent to carry a burner for
Boiling water

Y’all like sandwiches? Wraps? Just snack a lot on trail mix or bars? What’s everyone’s go to?

We’re going in and out of the woods every day, so breakfast and dinner are irrelevant. We’ll have those back at base camp
Omeals don't require a burner

49ereric

WKR
No mountain hiking here just trails in the woods but homemade soft maple sugar cakes from my syrup. Usually don‘t take anything though.
maple sugar hits the metabolism slower than processed sugar.