What you think this scope is worth?

So, I bought this scop in 2005. I can't imagine a 19 year old scope that's been in the field hundreds of times. However, I'm considering buying a new scope just for a few more features and slightly enhanced optics. As you all know, new ones ain't cheap, and any money that could be put towards a new one would help. If it won't fetch anything to actually help, I'll just box it up and put on my son's first rifle, or figure out something to do with it. I just have NO CLUE what it may be worth. Maybe they were sturdier back then and folks pay a premium even though it's old? Maybe it's considered junk at this point? No idea.

It's a VXIII 3.5-10 x 50mm. I think mounts and rings are Leupold as well, and would convey. Probably 6 years ago it fogged up. I sent to Leupold and they went through everything, so it's not really 20 years old, IMO. Holds zero just fine on the 270WSM it's been on this whole time. The detents on one of the turrets are not terribly crisp, so you do need to be very attentive when adjusting it. Definitely not a scope you'll want to do any dialing with.

Thoughts?

old school.jpgold school2.jpg

OP
P
Here? Not much because Roksliders don’t like Loopies.

Anywhere else? About $300-$350 (based on eBay sold listings).
10-4. Thanks. For some reason my work computer let's me acceess this site, but not E-Bay, or Cabelas, or MidWay, etc. Hahaha. Trying to do research from phone irritates me. IMO, that price range would be worth parting with it. Any less and I think I'd just put it on the shelf.

nobody

WKR
Yeah I’d say you’re probably looking at about $300-ish, assuming it’s in good shape. It’s just very “vanilla” by today’s standards, which hurts the market value.

That A-Bolt though… it’s worthless. Ship it to me and I’ll dispose of it properly, nobody should own a rifle like that 😉

OP
P
Yeah I’d say you’re probably looking at about $300-ish, assuming it’s in good shape. It’s just very “vanilla” by today’s standards, which hurts the market value.

That A-Bolt though… it’s worthless. Ship it to me and I’ll dispose of it properly, nobody should own a rifle like that 😉
Completely understand what you mean by vanilla. I picked up that VX 5HD 3-15 x 44 a couple years ago and it's about like having night vision at low light.

Yeah, it's been a good gun! Have taken 59 deer wtih it, 13 pigs, and 3 coyotes with it. She's a little dinged up, but that's of no concered... it sees a lot of field time, and I'd never sell it, so who cares! ;-)

nobody

WKR
Completely understand what you mean by vanilla. I picked up that VX 5HD 3-15 x 44 a couple years ago and it's about like having night vision at low light.

Yeah, it's been a good gun! Have taken 59 deer wtih it, 13 pigs, and 3 coyotes with it. She's a little dinged up, but that's of no concered... it sees a lot of field time, and I'd never sell it, so who cares! ;-)
Yeah I’ve always had a soft spot for the A Bolts. I had one in 308 I kick myself everyday for getting rid of. I don’t even know why, I just like them!

Your 270 WSM is just begging for a Trijicon Credo 2-10x36, or a Nightforce SHV 3.5-10!

TaperPin

WKR
I’m an EBay junkie and If you search for it by name, then go down to “show only” and select “sold items” it will bring up the selling price of past sales.

The trick in understanding the details is if it says best offer accepted, that might mean a price above or below the asking price.

If you include the 40mm version just for kicks, the blued models often sell for $375ish, and for some reason the silver models are in the $525ish range. Boone and Crockett ridicule seems to add $50. 30mm tube adds some, but your looks to be 1”.

71598FEE-BD6D-452F-9FC2-7853527FB3BB.jpeg

Yes - there really is no reason to “guess” what you can get for it. Check the sold eBay listings as I (and Taper) said above. Leupolds are very popular.

OP
P
Yes - there really is no reason to “guess” what you can get for it. Check the sold eBay listings as I (and Taper) said above. Leupolds are very popular.
10-4. I don't think I've messed around on E-Bay since probably about the time I bought the subject scope. ;-)

OP
P
I know there are some Leupold haters on here, but Optics Planet currently has a 5HD 3-15 x 40mm for $999. I have one on another gun and really like it. Kinda tempting... I know it's irrational, but I'd almost feel bad taking the ol' one off the rifle. It's been so good to me and we've been all over the country together. Maybe I just buy a whole new set up!!!! ;-)

I know there are some Leupold haters on here, but Optics Planet currently has a 5HD 3-15 x 40mm for $999. I have one on another gun and really like it. Kinda tempting... I know it's irrational, but I'd almost feel bad taking the ol' one off the rifle. It's been so good to me and we've been all over the country together. Maybe I just buy a whole new set up!!!! ;-)
Personally, I think there are better options at that price point.

OP
P
Personally, I think there are better options at that price point.
I looked pretty hard 3-4 years ago and everything I looked at had at least one thing that really turned me off... weight, reviews, FOV, low light performance, warranty (which IMO "shouldn't" be needed, but...). The Leupold seemed to be at a minimum acceptable in every category that concerned me. Hence the purchase.

At $1k, what else would you be looking at? The gun is by no means an ultra light mountain gun, but it's a nice small compact package, that comes in a little over 8lbs. I really don't want a super heavy scope up top... ESPECIALLY if it's manufacturer that's prone to failures. Weight + average quality = problems. I don't do any dialing, so that's not a concern. EDIT... most of my shots are under 200 yards. 300 likely the longest shot. However, I do like having decent magnification ability for tine counting, ID of particular animal, close inspection etc.

nobody

WKR
At $1k, what else would you be looking at?
Trijicon credo 2-10x36, Trijiconaccupoint 2.5-12.5 or 4-16, Maven RS1.2, nightforce SHV 2-10. Based on your qualifiers of relatively short distance shots and low light performance, I would look long and hard at the Trijicon Accupoint models with the tritium illumination. It’s the only illumination I’ve ever experienced that was worth a darn in actual application.

They’ll all have what you’re looking for optically and performance wise, and be vastly superior in durability and longevity when compared with modern Leupold. They also all come with a lifetime warranty.

OP
P
Trijicon credo 2-10x36, Trijiconaccupoint 2.5-12.5 or 4-16, Maven RS1.2, nightforce SHV 2-10. Based on your qualifiers of relatively short distance shots and low light performance, I would look long and hard at the Trijicon Accupoint models with the tritium illumination. It’s the only illumination I’ve ever experienced that was worth a darn in actual application.

They’ll all have what you’re looking for optically and performance wise, and be vastly superior in durability and longevity when compared with modern Leupold. They also all come with a lifetime warranty.
10-4. I've never liked the idea of an illuminated scope. Back of my mind it just seems like another gadget to break. On the Trijicon, I guess you're talking about the TR26 product line?

You mentioned "modern Leupold." Is there a general consensus that their quality degraded of late? Should I consider holding on to my 20 year old VXIII if it's of higher quality than the modern ones?

Last edited: