What type of prices to expect on a BC bighorn hunt? I've had a cancellation offered to me.

kybuck1

Lil-Rokslider
Had a call of a cancellation hunt in BC for 60K. From the little research I did it seems a bit on the high side. Looking at a 170's type average it seems from talking with the outfitter. 10 day hunt. Thoughts??

Scottf270

WKR
As few as 3 years ago, those hunts were more like $40,000. With today's demand and inflation sadly seems what it's gonna cost.

jofes

WKR
The price is a little high because it's not 3 days until the hunt, he will get it sold, most likely at that price. If it was a shorter window it would probably be lower.

OMB

WKR
Calling something a "cancellation hunt" at this time of year is why I loathe hunt booking consortiums. Especially with sheep, you're maybe going to save $3-5k off published list price at most this far out. There's enough demand on almost every sheep hunt that an outfitter isn't going to go to true "cancellation hunt" prices in January.

Ask who the outfitter is, shouldn't be too tough to figure out if you're getting a deal or not.

CHL

Lil-Rokslider
So 60K isn't high for that hunt?
I would say it’s not. Had similar offer last year for $55K, but it was gonna be $15K with a $40K fill fee. Same hunt as you for BC Rocky Mtn Bighorn and shooting 170s rams. Just seems like this is where we’re at unfortunately.

cbeard64

WKR
Trophy fee hunts used to be the norm but are rare birds these days when even 50/50 success BH hunts command full price up front. Would do lots of homework to make sure it was not just an expensive sight-seeing trip with little to no chance for success.

That said, that hunt with even a 20% chance of success would be one I would strongly consider if it was something you could swing.

Stew

Lil-Rokslider
Had a call of a cancellation hunt in BC for 60K. From the little research I did it seems a bit on the high side. Looking at a 170's type average it seems from talking with the outfitter. 10 day hunt. Thoughts??
if in Region 4 of B.C. Which outfitter., may be able to give some info.