What tripod should I look at?

Do any of you guys see the field optics research 32DT dometop as a good option? In the ballpark with weight but can use the legs as trekking poles. Cheaper but I’m not sure how the head compares to an anvil 30.

Great read, with lots of great advice here.

Curious - does anyone use Outdoorsmans tripods/heads anymore? Their new Gen2 looks like it would work for glassing and shooting with Arca built in.

I should be able to let you know soon. Just picked up a gen2 head and carbon standard for that purpose. The carbon is expensive as hell but sweet. It feels like no other carbon I’ve used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jbuck

FNG
I really like the RRS 34L. A buddy has the regular 34 and his works for everything for me, except straight eye spotters. I'm 6'2".

I do take the weight penalty for stability as there is just no way around it. I've owned the RRS Ascent and was able to return it for a small restocking fee as I didn't think the weight was worth the wobble.

This was my last trip to the range at 200yds off the tripod. The groups are all different positions, so sitting, standing, kneeling, and prone. Probably get better groups with a rear bag.

20240107_181018.jpg

Great read, with lots of great advice here.

Curious - does anyone use Outdoorsmans tripods/heads anymore? Their new Gen2 looks like it would work for glassing and shooting with Arca built in.

88f6fa97df66f87e37fcbe8382dc181c.jpg

b904cf625beca6f4f15d06aa913bacfa.jpg

34f2b8686dd63d9f371cec30f55883fd.jpg

bdd42853d8c9f8ccce1ada6c140c9e89.jpg

Literally seconds to swap between these three. This system is incredible, I couldn’t be happier. I’ve been using their gen 1 system for years. It’s the best pan head on the market IMHO. The ability to swap between spotter and binos in a matter of a few seconds is critical at times. Add in the ability to shoot off it with built in ARCA, and it’s a good thing made even better. With the new carbon, I went with the medium height tripod, and still saved 3oz compared to the compact aluminum I used to have. With center post and legs fully extended I can glass off this thing standing with my angled spotter (Im 5’-10”) I’m not much for standing while glassing, but there was times I struggled to find a good position on really steep hillsides with my compact. Won’t have that trouble with this one!

Last edited:
88f6fa97df66f87e37fcbe8382dc181c.jpg

b904cf625beca6f4f15d06aa913bacfa.jpg

34f2b8686dd63d9f371cec30f55883fd.jpg

Literally seconds to swap between these three. This system is incredible, I couldn’t be happier. I’ve been using their gen 1 system for years. It’s the best pan head on the market IMHO. The ability to swap between spotter and binos in a matter of a few seconds is critical at times. Add in the ability to shoot off it with built in ARCA, and it’s a good thing made even better. With the new carbon, I went with the medium height tripod, and still saved 3oz compared to the compact aluminum I used to have. With center post and legs fully extended I can glass off this thing standing with my angled spotter (Im 5’-10”) I’m not much for standing while glassing, but there was times I struggled to find a good position on really steep hillsides with my compact. Won’t have that trouble with this one!

Sorry for my ignorance which one is this?

I’m gonna blame this purchase on you when my wife asks

I know man it’s a problem lol. Use ROK10 @ checkout. Save you a couple hundred bucks.

That head can go onto any tripod of course. But the flick lock legs and overall build quality plus customer service of Outdoorsman’s is second to none

FWIW, I also would suggest the short bino adapter. Allows you to keep the adapter on the binos all the time, they still fit into a harness. Saves a lot of time and fumbling around when you get to a glassing spot. Also one less small item to lose.
896fdd4842dd434de3381a105af6e768.jpg

180f0278e435a1dc5180b5d726803afe.jpg

Last edited:
Dang @Jake Larsen - just realized that was a $1kish setup. I could swing it but already owning three cheaper or heavier tripods for different reasons and don't really see needing to go top shelf. But I still like the idea of swapping over to arca and having something a little more light weight.

Here's where my head is at right now... I like the Tricer tripods and the Aziak the most and could probably be convinced of either of the three.

1. Tricer AD or BC (I'm torn on the height even though I rarely glass standing up): The inverted legs look sturdier over the others, it's light, fair price ($340), and has high load rating (26 lbs). I don't think I'd use the 64" of the AD but the 40" BC seems like I'd want a few more inches.
  2. Aziak Backcountry Lite Tripod: fair price ($275), lightest option, and 5" taller than the Tricer BC.

Let me know if anyone has any strong feelings/advice on going with any of these route and I'll reconsider. I'm 6'2" if that makes any difference.

I also had a look at the Revic (I like the looks of it just not as much as the Tricer BC), the Leofoto 323c (decent looking but not sure why I'd pick over the Tricer AD), and Black Ovis Treeline (too short).

Thanks for any suggestions - good info on here.

T_Widdy

FNG
Dang @Jake Larsen - just realized that was a $1kish setup. I could swing it but already owning three cheaper or heavier tripods for different reasons and don't really see needing to go top shelf. But I still like the idea of swapping over to arca and having something a little more light weight.

Here's where my head is at right now... I like the Tricer tripods and the Aziak the most and could probably be convinced of either of the three.

1. Tricer AD or BC (I'm torn on the height even though I rarely glass standing up): The inverted legs look sturdier over the others, it's light, fair price ($340), and has high load rating (26 lbs). I don't think I'd use the 64" of the AD but the 40" BC seems like I'd want a few more inches.
  2. Aziak Backcountry Lite Tripod: fair price ($275), lightest option, and 5" taller than the Tricer BC.

Let me know if anyone has any strong feelings/advice on going with any of these route and I'll reconsider. I'm 6'2" if that makes any difference.

I also had a look at the Revic (I like the looks of it just not as much as the Tricer BC), the Leofoto 323c (decent looking but not sure why I'd pick over the Tricer AD), and Black Ovis Treeline (too short).

What head would you put on it and what all are you wanting to use the tripod for? Also what terrain do you mainly hunt

What head would you put on it and what all are you wanting to use the tripod for? Also what terrain do you mainly hunt

Not sure what head I’d use (have a cheap ball head or two laying around). I mainly hunt the Bighorns in WY and the southern Appalachian mountains from a backpack up to 6-8 miles in. Don’t use my spotting scope very often except for antelope hunting and occasionally for mule deer. In the Appalachian’s you’d be hard pressed to find a 100 yard shot.

T_Widdy

FNG
Not sure what head I’d use (have a cheap ball head or two laying around). I mainly hunt the Bighorns in WY and the southern Appalachian mountains from a backpack up to 6-8 miles in. Don’t use my spotting scope very often except for antelope hunting and occasionally for mule deer. In the Appalachian’s you’d be hard pressed to find a 100 yard shot.
I have the ad and really like it, mainly glass off it but have been shooting off it also, for glassing it’s great and pretty stable, for shooting off it’s not like a RRS. If your mainly glassing I would get the Tricer pan head

bradb

WKR
I mostly have been using a RRS 34 series with a anvil 30, super stable and not terrible weight. But just wanted to try a much lighter set up and got a Tricer AD, T-Widdy made me the threaded piece to put the Leofoto Anvil 30 copy on, also got the Tricer LP. All up the new set up is just under 3lbs. Its really not fair to compare it for stability to the 2lbs heavier RRS with the gun on it. Its defiantly not as stable, no surprise, but its decent. You really notice it in left to right movement of the gun. I have not played with it much yet and only dry firing out the house window. But I think it will defiantly take some work to be close to as good sitting and standing. I do think its a nice light set up and do like the Tricer lp head.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240112_202908_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240112_202908_Samsung Internet.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20240112_202903_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240112_202903_Samsung Internet.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20240112_202858_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240112_202858_Samsung Internet.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20240112_202852_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240112_202852_Samsung Internet.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 38

I have all 3 of those mentioned at my house now.

The AD is nice but long when folded. It hangs a decent ways out most pockets on packs. More often than not I just strap it to the outside of my pack.

The BC is a good all around tripod. It’s stable for glassing with my BTX, binos, and shooting off of. For me it does everything I need. If you don’t glass standing very often it should be good to go.

The Aziak is light but not as stable as the others. When the legs are extended and I'm shooting off it I can feel them flex if I put downward pressure on the tripod. It vibrates more with the BTX, etc. It is still a decent tripod for the weight. I am going to hang onto it for a little longer and test it more on some serious backpack hunts.

bmart2622

WKR
I have all 3 of those mentioned at my house now.

The AD is nice but long when folded. It hangs a decent ways out most pockets on packs. More often than not I just strap it to the outside of my pack.

The BC is a good all around tripod. It’s stable for glassing with my BTX, binos, and shooting off of. For me it does everything I need. If you don’t glass standing very often it should be good to go.

The Aziak is light but not as stable as the others. When the legs are extended and I'm shooting off it I can feel them flex if I put downward pressure on the tripod. It vibrates more with the BTX, etc. It is still a decent tripod for the weight. I am going to hang onto it for a little longer and test it more on some serious backpack hunts.
What head did you have on the Tricer?

I have been running the outdoorsman’s pan head for a long time but am testing a couple different heads right now. The tricer pan head, aziak ball head, and a ball head from leofoto (don’t remember which one off the top). Right now I am leaning towards the aziak.