What tripod should I look at?

BSLugnut

FNG

Tricer

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes please, let's roll sir.

Random idea for a good post: a little background and "why" on your current tripod products, testing and what not. I'd be interested to hear why you landed on the inverted setup on your small one.
I just recorded tipsy Tuesday with Sam today that should give you a little insight. Long story short I am more concerned with stability than weight. With the inverted legs it allows me to have a tripod that is stable and ultralight.

I forgot to ask.
Did you get the Leofoto LS-284C PRO Ranger?
If not could you share the model you did purchase?

Looks like it was redesigned slightly, I originally bought the LS-284C

I currently run a RRS with the Anvil and it is amazing. However, there are times when I don't like packing that length and weight on certain day trips so I found a deal I couldn't resist. Last week I purchased a Leofoto LP-284 C with the LH-30 head for $129 on Ebay. Once I received it, I followed StopMakingSense and removed the bottom legs and ordered the rubber caps off Amazon. I also purchased the Aziak ballhead to shave a few more ounces if I can shoot well off of it. Hoping to now have a very light tripod package to carry into difficult terrain when needed.

Tricer

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Like the RRS TFCX-13 that just came out but 1/3 the price and twist locks on the top. Easy peasy??
I am working on a lot of stuff for PRS. Can't give away too much info yet but it's gonna be cool. I am building a kitchen PRS rifle so now I need something to support it.

I am working on a lot of stuff for PRS. Can't give away too much info yet but it's gonna be cool. I am building a kitchen PRS rifle so now I need something to support it.
PRS has the gamer shit. We hunters don’t have the gamer shit but stripped down to lightest version to serve hunters use case.

I just recorded tipsy Tuesday with Sam today that should give you a little insight. Long story short I am more concerned with stability than weight. With the inverted legs it allows me to have a tripod that is stable and ultralight.

I missed this previously, @realunlucky any idea when this one will air? Excited to hear more about it!

Product available before fall @Tricer?

I got feedback from RRS both via email and on a snipershide thread about the new TFCX-13 style and desire for inverted legs. They are saying it would require a larger apex and result in a wider and slightly heavier tripod to do inverted legs. I don't understand why? Looking at my TFCT 24L, the legs aren't any closer together at the apex than they are at the end of the first leg section where the largest diameter twist locks are so it seems like those same sized twist locks would fit just fine closer to the apex.

They are saying the traditional twist lock location allows a more compact size as needed by "sheep hunters" to fit tripods in their bags. I almost never put a tripod in my bag but rather strap it to the outside but can see scenarios where guys might.

Was entertaining to have frank galli explain what's best for a sheep hunter though..

Lawnboi

WKR
I would be all over an inverted 3 leg 1 series tripod. I know it would get slightly larger in the apex but I don’t thing it would be a hindrance.

Snow and extreme cold are hell on those leg seals.

This tripod is appealing.

The more I shoot the more I consider going back to a 1 series for hunting and just getting a big bastard for everything else.

I would be all over an inverted 3 leg 1 series tripod. I know it would get slightly larger in the apex but I don’t thing it would be a hindrance.

Snow and extreme cold are hell on those leg seals.

This tripod is appealing.

The more I shoot the more I consider going back to a 1 series for hunting and just getting a big bastard for everything else.

I'd considered this as well.

Sell the TFCT 24L, get a 1 series and a big ass chinese gamer tripod.

or depending on what @Tricer comes out with, might be that and the chinese gamer tripod.

Edit: Looking more closely, the TFCX 13 with the BH-30SCR might be the best play vs anvil. Significant weight savings and with panning feature a guy might not have to add a tricer or scout head on top to get acceptable glassing performance. I really dont like glassing from my anvil.

Anyone used the RRS BH SCR series heads for glassing?

Last edited:
I'd considered this as well.

Sell the TFCT 24L, get a 1 series and a big ass chinese gamer tripod.

or depending on what @Tricer comes out with, might be that and the chinese gamer tripod.

Edit: Looking more closely, the TFCX 13 with the BH-30SCR might be the best play vs anvil. Significant weight savings and with panning feature a guy might not have to add a tricer or scout head on top to get acceptable glassing performance. I really dont like glassing from my anvil.

Anyone used the RRS BH SCR series heads for glassing?
Ordered the TCFX-13. I was on the fence about the $100 extension column so didnt order it. Then I remembered that the Leofoto 324 that I tried last year came with one of those. For anyone interested in saving a bit of money on something that probably wont be used that much, or have that much of an effect on performance atleast, here it is on Amazon Prime for $28, and in addition, can choose which diameter you would like as well (22, 25, 28 or 32mm). The 22mm version is only 100 grams.

Ordered the TCFX-13. I was on the fence about the $100 extension column so didnt order it. Then I remembered that the Leofoto 324 that I tried last year came with one of those. For anyone interested in saving a bit of money on something that probably wont be used that much, or have that much of an effect on performance atleast, here it is on Amazon Prime for $28, and in addition, can choose which diameter you would like as well (22, 25, 28 or 32mm). The 22mm version is only 100 grams.

Which head did you get with it? Have you used the bh-30scr by chance?