What to do with a Rem 7600

Just putting out feelers as what to do with this thing for a possible down the road project. Its a 6 rem, and seeing as they don't make ammo for it anymore (I kid, kind of) what would you do with it? Would you do anything with it? Chop the barrel and buy some ammo and call it a day. I don't know much about the rem 7400/7600's are they reliable, problematic, do they have the same trigger problems the 700's have?

This is more of a what can you do with them as a build platform. Or is it just a waste of time and money?

Macintosh

WKR
Its possibly a collectors item to some, Id look into that before you do anything. The 7400’s dont have a great reputation, but 7600’s have a bit of a cult following depending on vintage and exact configuration, especislly in the Northeast and upper Midwest. Im betting if its in good shape as-is you wouldnt have a problem selling it given its in an uncommon caliber, although depending on where you are it might elicit yawns locally.
The trigger group is the same as on an 870 shotgun, it isnt a good rifle trigger and never will be, and they are usually passable for “minute of deer” but definitely not known for accuracy—so its not the kind of thing you can turn into a sub-moa shooter without a lot of effort, $$, etc. the only olace I know that really does custom wirk around them is in colorado, cant remember the name. But a rebarrel is about $900, I guess its much more involved than just spinning on a bolt-action barrel. If it isnt something you want as-is I would sell it and put that money toward something you’ll use. I think @Wapiti (sorry if I tagged the wrong guy!) has done some work on them and there was a guy posting wtb ads in the classifieds here a couple months ago, so maybe worth targeting who you ask about it.

OP
N
That's a big help, and kinda confirms what I was already thinking, thanks. Didn't know they had the 870 trigger group in there.

Macintosh

WKR
If its not, its darn close, but I'm fairly sure theyre interchangeable. Timney makes a trigger kit for them that is a noticeable improvement, but its still catastrophically bad compared to a decent trigger on an off the shelf tikka or any other decent rifle trigger. 7600’s are very reliable as long as you have a good magazine…which are also hard to get. I was recently happy to pay well over $100 to get a good metal long-action magazine off ebay for my 7600.

If it were a more common cartridge, I would say do whatever you want to it.

A 6mm Remington 7600 is rare. If you’re not going to use it, I would suggest selling it and use the money for something else that is more of what you want.

MAP1

Lil-Rokslider
Call JES for rebore options. I did the Timney 870 trigger upgrade in a 7600 in my opinion it’s not worth the $125 plus shipping. Mcarbo sells a spring for $12 I put in 870 slug gun both triggers feel the same. Good luck!

I agree with the others. Trip it to someone who will shoot/collect it. Their value is at an all time high. Very serviceable hunting guns if you want to keep it.
Good luck, Tom

OP
N
Thanks to all for the advice. For now I'm going to leave it alone, and maybe sell it.

BCD

WKR
I have 2-7600's in 3006. By far my favorite rifle for hunting the big woods. I had a trigger job done on one and it improved significantly. They are great rifles as long as you're not shooting too far IMO. I know several people who had the 7400's-all had issues with them.

KenLee

WKR
I have 2-7600's in 3006. By far my favorite rifle for hunting the big woods. I had a trigger job done on one and it improved significantly. They are great rifles as long as you're not shooting too far IMO. I know several people who had the 7400's-all had issues with them.
They didn't clean the chambers of the 7400s.
I'll buy all the cheap "junk" 7400s I run across and have 80% of them purring in 10 minutes.

BCD

WKR
They didn't clean the chambers of the 7400s.
I'll buy all the cheap "junk" 7400s I run across and have 80% of them purring in 10 minutes.
I think there was a lot more to it than cleaning. They have a terrible reputation for a reason.

Rich M

WKR
Probably 5% of Remington 740, 742, 7400 were junk from factory. 15% got worn out. 30% were dirty and owners didn't clean them.
50% were cleaned and ran flawlessly.

I know dad and I had at least 6 over the years 78-96 and they are and were all chit. The old "clean em good and they'll work" trick! Not those.

You couldn't give me one. Wouldn't take it & sell it cause then someone would feel i sold em a bad gun on purpose.

I'll take a 7600 or an older 700 any day of the week.

KenLee

WKR
After the chamber gets alot of crud in in, a chamber hone is needed probably 60% of the time to make them reliable.
Some needed it from the factory 😞 .
My first deer rifle at 11 yrs old was a well used 742 in 30-06. I shot it at 98 deer and ate 97 of them. She was a good'ern.

I won't hunt with a 700 with the bolt playing hopscotch and rifle not shooting when bighead appears.

WCB

WKR
I'd sell it because I just have no use for a pump rifle. If I was stalking or tracking deer where max shot is 100ish yards I'm just shooting a 20guage slug gun.

Also, looking at some of the "current bid" prices if I could get around $1000 for it...it would be gone in a second (unless it had some sentimental value). The 7600 are a serviceable rifle....I wouldn't call them great or even "good".