What to do after harvesting mountain lion

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Duh, lol.
We have a local market that has an excellent selection of locally grown produce which helps.

I usually make a very large batch as it’s excellent left over and re-heated. Below is a smaller batch for a lion shoulder roast. For a pork butt I’d double this.

Ingredients:

8 Tomatillos
4 Large Hatch Green Chilis
4 Large Jalapeños
2 White Onions
1 whole head elephant garlic
1 Cup Modelo Especial
4 Cups Chicken Stock
2 TBPS all purpose flower or corn starch
Hefty sprinkling of fresh ground cumin (Mexican market will have)
Hefty pour of the green bottle “Mexico Lindo” hot sauce
One crushed bay leaf
Couple pinches of fresh basil
Hefty sprinkle of fresh ground pepper
Couple pinches of fine ground sea salt
One shoulder roast/rear roast/neck roast bone in

Instructions:

Get your roast ready by slathering with mustard as a binder for your dry rub. Lately I’ve been using the meat church holy voodoo for this recipe and it’s been excellent. Cover the whole roast with a hefty coating. Place in the smoker at 185 and let it sit. I gradually turn the heat up by 15-20 degrees every 2-4 hours. This will take many hours. I usually pull my roasts when the meat at the bone is 195-205 degrees. There isn’t as much fat on the lion roasts so keep a close eye on temps. Let it go low and slow for a long time. Works in the oven as well.

Once your shoulder is ready to take off the smoker or out of the oven begin making the chili verde.

Take the peppers, onions, garlic, and tomatillos and roast them in the oven. Tomatillos will need to be de-husked and washed to remove the waxy coating. Quarter the onions and poke a few holes in all the peppers and tomatillos so they don’t explode.

I use the low broil setting on our oven and it goes quick. Can also be done easily on a propane grill. Roast them until charred and soft. Once roasted place all items in a good blender or food processor to turn into a fine liquid. I usually do it in two or 3 blends splitting the ingredients evenly. I’ll also blend the spices and herbs in this step as well.

With a crock pot on high pour in the mixture. Add in the pepper, cumin, salt, beer, chicken stock, hot sauce, and flour and stir well. Let simmer for about 20 minutes and re-stir.

Grab your shoulder and get it into a deep pan. The meat should fall off the bone and pull nicely. Treat yourself to a couple good bites of the bark. Place the pulled or chunked meat into the crock pot and stir into the chili mix.

Place the crock pot on low and let the acidic mix cook into the meat for several hours. You will want to stir every so often.

I always start the roasts the night before and then they finish by mid day the next day. This then lets the meat sit in the chili verde mix in the crock pot to absorb flavor for 5 or 6 hours before dinner.

We serve this as burritos and tacos normally but works great in other fashions as well. I’ve had multiple folks say it’s the best green chili they’ve ever had. I’ll be making this with a pork butt for a Halloween party soon so I can post photos of the process 🍺

Attachments

• IMG_6232.jpeg
    IMG_6232.jpeg
    545.2 KB · Views: 1