What the cat drug in

Rogue Bay

WKR
That looks like a least weasel. Without asking too much, are you in north central or eastern Montana?

I used to live in northwestern Montana and saw plenty of long-tailed and short-tailed weasels, but we didn’t get least weasels that far west so I never have seen one in person.

Our cat killed and brought a short-tailed weasel to us one time. I always thought that would have been an impressive fight to see.

OP
P
I killed an elk out of St Regis in the 70s. I packed out half and came back for the second half. In that time one of these weasels claimed the gut pile. As I loaded the quarters on the horse, he would run out and grab my boot with his teeth, try to shake it and then run under the gut pile and hiss. There is no fear in these creatures and an immense imagination.

Mt Al

WKR
That's cool! In 40+ years of traipsing about in the winter in MT I've seen two, but both had the black tip on the tail.

Just read in Montana's awesome Field Guide that least and short tailed weasels don't have the black tip, only the long tailed weasel:

Must have been an epic battle

Rogue Bay

WKR
That's cool! In 40+ years of traipsing about in the winter in MT I've seen two, but both had the black tip on the tail.

Just read in Montana's awesome Field Guide that least and short tailed weasels don't have the black tip, only the long tailed weasel:

Must have been an epic battle
Very cool, thanks for sharing! I hadn’t looked at that in years.

I have to respectfully disagree with the field guide on the black-tipped tail though LOL. The short-tailed weasel is also has that distinctive black-tipped tail. They’re the classic white and black so well know for the liners on the robes of royalty.

Scoot

WKR
I live in NW MN and we see them fairly often around here. My cats have drug 3 or 4 of them back to the house. Like said above- I bet it was a heck of a fight! We also have fisher here and those things are hell on cats!