What’s your biggest bobcat?

For all you cat hunters and trappers out there, what’s the biggest cat you’ve come across? I’ve read some threads on this topic on other forums and am impressed with the size of some of the northern cats. Debates and arguments seem to frequently break out too.

Between the cats I’ve caught/shot and the many, many cats I’ve seen, I’ve not seen one that would break 30 pounds. One year while dove hunting a big cat walked up on my buddy and I that I’m confident was in the upper 20’s. ThT was the biggest one I’ve seen in the flesh.

I used to hunt bobcat with an older houndsman who had as much experience running bobs as anybody I’ve met and his biggest was a 33 pound tom. Keep in mind this is western Oregon where we don’t get the size of cats they see in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Maine, etc. I’ve also lived and hunted in eastern Oregon and Montana but haven’t come across one of those giants.

I’d love to hear about yours and see some pics!
30 pounder out of nevada is my biggest

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Shot a 25lb bobcat couple years ago. He kept hunting around the edges of a hay field. Spotted him first time heading into a thicket with a rabbit in his mouth but I missed him with my muzzleloader.

Next time a deer came out same thicket like a rocket. Just knew a big buck was behind. Nope it was the cat. He chased her straight away from me and at about 70-80 yards swerved right to intercept. Instead he caught a 150 grain Nosler behind the right shoulder.

Killed 19 pound female with crossbow last year. Love hunting cats. Hopefully headed to BC for Lynx next year.

OP
Rogue Bay

Rogue Bay

WKR
Shot a 25lb bobcat couple years ago. He kept hunting around the edges of a hay field. Spotted him first time heading into a thicket with a rabbit in his mouth but I missed him with my muzzleloader.

Next time a deer came out same thicket like a rocket. Just knew a big buck was behind. Nope it was the cat. He chased her straight away from me and at about 70-80 yards swerved right to intercept. Instead he caught a 150 grain Nosler behind the right shoulder.

Killed 19 pound female with crossbow last year. Love hunting cats. Hopefully headed to BC for Lynx next year.
A lynx hunt would be awesome! Please post pics if/when you do.

25 pounds is a solid bobcat!

Rat

FNG
I trapped a 45# bobcat 10 years ago, also had to release one that was about 35#. Both were in Upper Michigan.

TheGDog

WKR
Not sure what year this was but he was a big Tom. I never weighed cats back then.
View attachment 606037
The following pics wasn't of a big cat but a cool picture of the cat caught then me holding it.

View attachment 606038View attachment 606039
That's a damn nice sized bobcat! That's like the kinda big buffed looking Tom's I'd see in that D15 area, later in the PM always. Like 30 min before it clicked past sun-down. Sooo sucked being able to easily take that shot opportunity ... but can't because CA is run by Newsom and they put that as a ballot measure and had the don't-know-anything public actually vote to ban against the take of Bobcats, for at least 5 years. Can you believe that shizzle?

hunterjmj

WKR
That's a damn nice sized bobcat! That's like the kinda big buffed looking Tom's I'd see in that D15 area, later in the PM always. Like 30 min before it clicked past sun-down. Sooo sucked being able to easily take that shot opportunity ... but can't because CA is run by Newsom and they put that as a ballot measure and had the don't-know-anything public actually vote to ban against the take of Bobcats, for at least 5 years. Can you believe that shizzle?
It's a bunch of crap. My dad and I trapped in SE Oregon for a lot of years. Good sized, good fur and color. Not much better than trapping. Thankfully I moved from that state a long time ago.

lgragg

FNG
Thanks for starting an interesting thread.

I assume that bison in your avatar is the one you killed with the TTSX out of your 338 WM. Where did you hunt? Was it the 225 gr?

About 10 years ago I drew a tag to hunt bison in the Henry Mountains in Utah. Turns out I shot my bull with that same bullet, only out of a 338-06 AI. Were you astounded at how big these critters are?

I recovered the classically expanded 4 petal bullet. It entered behind the near shoulder, wreaked havoc on the lungs and aorta, and lodged against the hide behind the far shoulder.

View attachment 535095 View attachment 535094

...from bobcats to bison.
I've drawn a cow bison tag for Henry Mts. for this 2023 12/30-01/15, can you tell me what area you hunted in and what Outfitter you used? Take care Larry Gragg 707-501-8679 I be shooting a 300 PRC

For all you cat hunters and trappers out there, what’s the biggest cat you’ve come across? I’ve read some threads on this topic on other forums and am impressed with the size of some of the northern cats. Debates and arguments seem to frequently break out too.

Between the cats I’ve caught/shot and the many, many cats I’ve seen, I’ve not seen one that would break 30 pounds. One year while dove hunting a big cat walked up on my buddy and I that I’m confident was in the upper 20’s. ThT was the biggest one I’ve seen in the flesh.

I used to hunt bobcat with an older houndsman who had as much experience running bobs as anybody I’ve met and his biggest was a 33 pound tom. Keep in mind this is western Oregon where we don’t get the size of cats they see in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Maine, etc. I’ve also lived and hunted in eastern Oregon and Montana but haven’t come across one of those giants.

I’d love to hear about yours and see some pics!
Most I've taken have been attacking my chickens but right around 28 lbs has been the largest