What tent are you tall guys using?

bascott1

WKR
Headed to Kyrgyzstan in sept. Then some more backpack hunts. What tents are you guys using? I’m 6’6” 270 lbs with pretty broad shoulders. It’ll be just me and maybe the ole lady every once in a while. Any suggestions.

EastMT

WKR
I’m 6’5” pretty wide, I’ve come to like the nallo 3 for potentially rougher weather, the Anjan 3 for more compact/lightweight solutions. One used to be able to get a good deal these in classifieds/ebay, but right now there really aren’t any around for cheap.

TheGDog

WKR
I'm not that tall, (shrunk a little to 5' 10") but I'm wide in the shoulders and 220-235Lbs. If just by yourself, the MSR Hubba 2 2-person tent is really nice inside for a single hunter and all his gear to be inside. What's also nice about it if you didn't quite get the orientation of the tent quite right in terms of the slope of the ground... the extra width inside of it can let ya get away with just rotating the sleeping bag+pad to lay angled across the floor of it so you can fish for a better slope positioning without having to get out and unstake it and rotate the whole tent and re-stake it. And it's pretty light and easy to pack and put up and take down. It feels like a hotel inside to me, because my first tent I used was just an REI Quarter-dome 1-person and those are soo cramped it's not funny. Having that extra height while inside of it is soo nice! You can sit up and put your legs underneath of you when needed. In that Quarter dome, ya didn't have the room for that and it felt like you were doing a sit-up the whole time whenever you had to sit-up within the tent to do something. Also that quarter dome had problems with condensation forming on the inside. The Hubba 2 didn't seem to that I remember.

OP
bascott1

bascott1

WKR
It’ll be for backpacking. Kyrgyzstan for ibex and sheep in alaska.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Do you want freestanding? If not, at 6'7" the Kaitum from Hilleberg will give you plenty of length without hitting end walls. Both end walls are vertical. Most freestanding tents are gonna be sloped pretty hard and you'll hit walls with your feet and head. The Jannu from Hille might work for you and it's freestanding. Fjallraven tents are pretty much clones of the Hilles. A Lightheart Gear SoLong 6 is plenty long enough for you. Tarptent Scarp 2 would work. Exped makes some that you could fit in, the Orions I think. Terra Nova out of the UK has some interesting tents but not sure right off if they have one that's long enough.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Nallo 3. At 6’4”, I have a hard time not rubbing my feet or head on the walls of the tent (the foot end wall angles in at a steep angle). If I were to do it over again, I’d get a Kaitum 2 or 3. At 6’7”, you won’t like any version of a Nallo.

I'm not at all tall and definitely no where near your size, but have you considered an UL floorless shelter? It sure is nice to walk into something without having to bend over, or bend over very little, and ample room to spread out a little. Also very nice to be able to stand up and put on/take off cloths.

Noodlestheshaman

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 6’2 225 and have used the stone glacier skyscraper and recently got a hell of a deal on a hilleberg saivo. Felt cramped in the skyscraper and the saivo def has more room but still can foresee my feet or head touching something when I have my pad/sleeping bags out. But damn, the hille is so well made.

LSHD69

FNG
I’m 6’2” and 220. MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2P. 4lbs. REI has old model on sale for $315. New 2022 model will be pricier but lighter.

Is this for spiking out? I can understand that given the average elevation of 8000-15000 feet. Hope you don't suffer from altitude sickness. Some of those Turkish hunts are literally in the middle of nowhere. Got horses? What're you targeting? Ibex? Marcos? Argali? Some hunts/species are more physical than others, especially when it gets cold. You have a guide-provided base camp right?

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
I am 6'6" 240 and I've been running an old GoLite Shamgi-la 3. I have a new Cimmaron that I have not set up yet. Pretty big fan of the floorless 'mids at this point, including for snow. Good wind-shedding as well. When you can suspend from the peak, no center pole.

If you have someone who will be hanging out at the tent all day, mids also give much (much) more livability and comfort with camp chairs in the bigger mids.

If you have bugs, get a nest and/or lightweight noseeum netting.

Cannot help much for freestanding, as I have not yet found anything that is actually comfortable due to my height, so I will be watching this with interest. :)

Cheers,
-mox

6’4 240lb. I run a seek outside red cliff. We had three of us a stove and our gear in it in CO on an elk hunt. Two other guys were 6’5 and 6’2.

I run it by myself every year too. I can stand up in the middle and get dressed without bending down which is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk