What Rifle support do you use for hunting in timber

orhunter1

FNG
Classified Approved
I'd like to know what kinda support do you use when hunting Elk in mixed timber and clear cut area. I think prone might work for the clear-cut but what about wooded area.

I like Primos gen 3 trigger stick in the woods and the open. Light and easy to deploy. But under 100 yards in the woods, I’m probably going to end up using something natural. Tree trunk, branch, stump, fallen trees, logs, etc or a pack. Likely as not to shoot off hand. With some practice and technique, you can get pretty good with off hand sub 100 yard shots.

Dennis

WKR
Each encounter seems to be different and I would suggest practicing off hand standing, sitting, kneeling and prone, then add natural supports (trees, rocks etc.) I like collapsible shooting sticks which work well for sitting, kneeling and prone if you keep them collapsed. I wear them on my belt and they are light weight and quick to deploy with practice.

OP
O

orhunter1

FNG
Classified Approved
Each encounter seems to be different and I would suggest practicing off hand standing, sitting, kneeling and prone, then add natural supports (trees, rocks etc.) I like collapsible shooting sticks which work well for sitting, kneeling and prone if you keep them collapsed. I wear them on my belt and they are light weight and quick to deploy with practice.
Can you please post a link to the collapsible sticks?

Dennis

WKR
Here is a link to Midway Stoney Point Steady Stix that are similar to mine. Looks like they are discontinued there, but I assume you can find them else where. I made a round leather ring that has a divider to carry my sticks on my belt at about 45 degree angle which seems to work well on horses and getting in and out of vehicles and while hunting. PM me if you would like additional details.

Tracking poles. Extend the one up front for your high and put your right arm through the wrist strap slide it up to around your elbow and pot the foot pad on your hip. Or I just use my tripod if I don't have poles.

Tod osier

WKR
One of the things that made a huge impact in how I view the world and hunt is a point made in Craig Boddington's "shots at big game"... to summarize he says to always be looking for a rest where you are and look for your next rest. After reading that it changed the way I move. Take a 2 step detour to be standing next to a rest or change your angle to have a good rest ahead or stop to glass where there is a rest rather than in the open. You aren't always going to have a rest, but if you are deliberate, you increase your percentage exponentially. It just feels natural to move that way.

As others have said, I don't think you need an extra peice of gear for this. A tree, your pack, practice shooting without support, etc. Hiking sticks with the wrist straps looped over the opposite handles make an excellent rest and are a great option if you use them already for hiking. Good luck!

kota

FNG
I can’t actively hunt and use trekking poles at the same time, so mine are stowed in my pack. I am like Dennis where I carry shootings sticks instead. I don’t use them where there are plentiful trees and stumps to make natural rests, but have them in more open or country.

BTW, there is a set of shooting sticks on camofire today.

All of my country is fairly steep. Given time I sit down and brace off my knees. In the trees, I've used trees but more often than not - offhand. Usually you don't have time for anything but hand to hand combat. The really tough ones are bracing for the gusts in 30 to 40 mph winds. I've had them stand for 3-4 shots with their head between two lodgepoles. You lead on the left one and blow the hell out of the right one. You are only missing by inches but guessing the gusts are tough. Usually they will turn and I get them as they walk through a bigger hole.

A lot of practice shooting standing and sitting helps. This is the reason I went to a BAR. It wasn't the number of shots but the reaction time between them. I hunt heavy dense timber and often I only have seconds for a second shot if the first is deflected by a limb or branch. Threading the needle through dense limbs at 40 yds is a real challenge.

OP
O

orhunter1

FNG
Classified Approved
One of the things that made a huge impact in how I view the world and hunt is a point made in Craig Boddington's "shots at big game"... to summarize he says to always be looking for a rest where you are and look for your next rest. After reading that it changed the way I move. Take a 2 step detour to be standing next to a rest or change your angle to have a good rest ahead or stop to glass where there is a rest rather than in the open. You aren't always going to have a rest, but if you are deliberate, you increase your percentage exponentially. It just feels natural to move that way.
Thank you, this seems something that I need to practice at the field without wasting too much time to get into the position.

OP
O

orhunter1

FNG
Classified Approved
All of my country is fairly steep. Given time I sit down and brace off my knees. In the trees, I've used trees but more often than not - offhand. Usually you don't have time for anything but hand to hand combat. The really tough ones are bracing for the gusts in 30 to 40 mph winds. I've had them stand for 3-4 shots with their head between two lodgepoles. You lead on the left one and blow the hell out of the right one. You are only missing by inches but guessing the gusts are tough. Usually they will turn and I get them as they walk through a bigger hole.

A lot of practice shooting standing and sitting helps. This is the reason I went to a BAR. It wasn't the number of shots but the reaction time between them. I hunt heavy dense timber and often I only have seconds for a second shot if the first is deflected by a limb or branch. Threading the needle through dense limbs at 40 yds is a real challenge.
what is BAR?

Rich M

WKR
Browning Semi Auto - BAR

We always use a tree when possible. Elk is pretty big - you can probably do some good shooting offhand. Do 10-20 pushups a day from now thru the end of the season and you'll shoot better.

I often find myself carrying this https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-monopod-shooting-rest It's light and easy. Not as quick as a trigger stick but trigger sticks won't work if they get wet and at the price, this is better. I use em out of treestands too.

WKR
Whenever possible:
hathcock.jpg

sitting-pos3-knees.jpg

Elmer Keith called this the "jackknife" position. His book "Hell, I Was There!" shows him shooting a heavy Sharps from it. I like it when the terrain allows for it and I killed my best elk using it with a Ruger No. 1. Both elbows on knees are steadier than one. A hard recoiling rifle can roll you backwards. Be careful not to get scoped.

Last edited:

Hnthrdr

WKR
Use gen 3 trigger sticks, tripod version, acts as 1 of my trekking poles, use it as a rest to glass with binos while standing or seated works well as a rest when I don’t have the option of going prone, or something more solid.