What Rifle support do you use for hunting in timber

amassi

WKR
I use a sitting height tripod from black ovis with a spartan precision adapter bedded in the stock and one on the pic rail.
Can use the pic rail and pack for very extreme uphill angle. Use the adapter in the stock for sitting position.
Magnet in and out

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
O

orhunter1

FNG
Classified Approved
Whenever possible:
View attachment 464612

View attachment 464611

Elmer Keith called this the "jackknife" position. His book "Hell, I Was There!" shows him shooting a heavy Sharps from it. I like it when the terrain allows for it and I killed my best elk using it with a Ruger No. 1. Both elbows on knees are steadier than one. A hard recoiling rifle can roll you backwards. Be careful not to get scoped.
This is helpful, but I see the rear is supported by the shoulder and not clavicle, would that be an issue?

OP
O

orhunter1

FNG
Classified Approved
I use a sitting height tripod from black ovis with a spartan precision adapter bedded in the stock and one on the pic rail.
Can use the pic rail and pack for very extreme uphill angle. Use the adapter in the stock for sitting position.
Magnet in and out

Do you mind posting a picture of your posture with the setup. It will be very helpful.

amassi

WKR
Do you mind posting a picture of your posture with the setup. It will be very helpful.
My posture? I don't understand
Seated position with the rifle supported on the tripod. Can use my pack as a rear bag or back rest depending on the angle of terrain. Sometimes legs are criss cross often they're flat foot with knees up
I wear a kuiu bino pac that I'll shove under my armpit for additional support sometimes

OP
O

orhunter1

FNG
Classified Approved
My posture? I don't understand
Seated position with the rifle supported on the tripod. Can use my pack as a rear bag or back rest depending on the angle of terrain. Sometimes legs are criss cross often they're flat foot with knees up
I wear a kuiu bino pac that I'll shove under my armpit for additional support sometimes

thanks, do you have the rifle base on the tripod center column?

WKR
This is helpful, but I see the rear is supported by the shoulder and not clavicle, would that be an issue?
Not problematic, just different.

The butt is indeed more on your delt instead of in the shoulder pocket. And your head is canted over a bit. So it can seem a bit contorted until you get used to it. But I find the position steady.

Elmer Keith used to shoot 16lbs buffalo rifles using it and snipers have made confirmed kills using it. That should be a good recommendation.

A little more:

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Two+useful+shooting+positions.-a0109945144

Depends on how you hunt the timber IMO. Are you calling, tracking, or sitting in ambush? Each scenario presents different shot scenarios.

I hunt timber around 10,000’ during 2nd rifle OTC in CO, and there’s always snow on the ground. I sit in ambush at first and last shooting light and track in between.

Ambush: sitting on the ground in Crazy Creek backpacking chair for back support. Legs spread and knees at 90 degrees with heels dug into the snow. Elbows resting on knees with entire body rotated slightly toward shooting shoulder so support arm is further forward (see attached photo). This position allows you to scoot/swivel 180 degrees+ as needed depending on the elk’s approach.

Tracking: off hand standing. All three of my previous encounters have been jumping bulls out of their beds between 25-100 yards. They don’t give you much time but mine have always stopped broadside to look at me for a few seconds before running off. I switched to a red dot this year, which worked great since visibility is usually 100 yards max in the dark timber and shooting with both eyes open is much faster than a scope.

I dry practice in my basement with paper elk targets at two different heights, one for standing the other for sitting. And always with the gloves I use hunting (wool liners for tracking and 3-finger mittens for sitting).

Shot this year’s bull in the heart at 100 yards off hand while tracking, so I highly recommend it. There just isn’t time or need for a rest in the dark timber with enough practice IMO. Enjoy the simplicity! It’s a nice reprieve from all the messing around with rest/rangefinder/dialing/etc for long range hunting shots.

Attachments

• 8530F9D9-A98D-470C-A1DF-B9C11EB8FFE8.png
    8530F9D9-A98D-470C-A1DF-B9C11EB8FFE8.png
    226 KB · Views: 7
In the timber, I might lean against a tree or off a limb on occasion. But generally most of my shots have been offhand.

Most folks dont shoot offhand enough.
Spend some time in a rock pit, or a clear cut just shooting what ever catches your eye.