What products do you wish companies made for hunting?

Poser

WKR
Without getting too down in the weeds. Mapped rugged protection that would allow for more flexibility because you can use softer material in between the rugged sections. Good deep lugs without the climbing section and little ridges on those lugs. A rubber compound that balances cold sloppy conditions with reasonable durability. More utilization of injection molding but with more flexibility than what we’re used to. Real anatomical shaped lasts, WIDE WITHS!!!!!!!!!!!! More options bigger than a size 11. Everything exists just not widely available in one package, we’re compromising too much.

I'm just not buying into this. There is a huge variety of boots available on the market and many of these bootmakers have been in business for generations.

In terms of "hunting specific", there's just nothing that hunters need that's not available on the market.
The only difference between a backpacker and a hunter is that hunters spend more time off trail and tend to carry heavier loads. Wildlands firefighters also carry very heavy loads and spend time off trail. Off trail is addressed with a full rand which a host of companies offer. There are at least 2 brands that come to mind, Schnees and Crispi, that primarily cater to hunters above other user groups and market their boots as "hunting boots"
When you get into goat and sheep hunting, you may need a mountaineering style boot. Other than that, its all fit and preference.

-Removing the climbing section from the lugs? Have you lost your damn mind? Are you not in fact spending most of your time climbing when Western hunting? This rather undoes your criticism out of the gate. No one on this forum, not one single member is going to levy a complaint about the fact that their lug design features climbing traction under the toes.

-Rubber compounds? I'd say every reputable brand on the market has at least one line of boot that does just that. If you start blending compounds too much, you'll get uneven wear. I can't say I've ever fielded a complaint about any of the compounds on any of the reputable boots I've owned and I live in the Western mountains and use boots, including boots with winter compounds on them, year around.

-More flexibility than what we are used to? That's a personal preference. I personally prefer softer flexing boots, but also own some stiffer boots for burlier situations.
-More options bigger than size 11? Seriously? What brand stops making boots at size 12? I'm a size 13 and have never had an issue finding a design for a boot in my size. I'd say limitations start after size 13, but, like the big fella above, you are getting into the sub 2% of the population when you get into size 14 and bigger.

There's no such thing as putting out the perfect boot for everyone. Feet vary in shape too much and preferences are wildly all over the map. What is the perfect boot for me may be terrible for you. You're presenting this as if we are missing some singular solution. The solution is to offer a wide variety of designs, fit, flex and features and let people find what works best for them and their particular needs. There will always be statistical outliers -people with very problematically shaped feet and with a size 21. While expensive and unfortunate, statistical outliers will often have to resort to custom boots as you just can't reasonably mass produce something that fits them.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
What makes a boot hunting specific? There are a huge variety of shapes/sizes/styles/height/sole stiffness/material etc.. Do they need to be camo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Basically combining the attributes I mentioned while using newer materials. Also maybe going to a natural toe box shape like Altra.
@Poser the climbing section certainly has its place and we already have that on every medium to serious duty boot but how many moose hunters are dealing with class 3,4&5 terrain? For the high country sheep, goat, elk and deer hunting I know there is still some need for the traction but I think we can get that while not sacrificing traction in the mud and soggy soil areas. I have some merrell boots where the lugs have little teeth on the sides. Think of it as an aggressive blizzak tire vs a hard rubber mud tire. LaSportiva makes some close to what I’m talking about but they don’t fit my foot shape or size.

Poser

WKR
Basically combining the attributes I mentioned while using newer materials. Also maybe going to a natural toe box shape like Altra.
@Poser the climbing section certainly has its place and we already have that on every medium to serious duty boot but how many moose hunters are dealing with class 3,4&5 terrain? For the high country sheep, goat, elk and deer hunting I know there is still some need for the traction but I think we can get that while not sacrificing traction in the mud and soggy soil areas. I have some merrell boots where the lugs have little teeth on the sides. Think of it as an aggressive blizzak tire vs a hard rubber mud tire. LaSportiva makes some close to what I’m talking about but they don’t fit my foot shape or size.

I deal with class 3 and 4 terrain all of the time in the San Juans. I don't expect boot makers to conform to my specific niche demands, but in the Western mountains I hunt, traction on rock is far more of a performance concern than shedding mud. Thankfully, modern lug designs. do both pretty well. However, if you asked me which one I was more concerned with, I'm going to go with traction on rock every time. Do I occasionally get into soggy mud? sure. Is it more of a concern than slipping on smooth, wet rock? Never.

wyosam

WKR

Talk about a niche market! How many moose tags are available in the western US annually? Here in AK, moose boots predominantly look like waders xtratuff/muck/etc fancy irrigation boots. I’ve seen a lot of moose in western Wyoming while hunting elk, and always assumed the biggest challenge was actually drawing a tag, not a complete lack of mission specific footwear.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I deal with class 3 and 4 terrain all of the time in the San Juans. I don't expect boot makers to conform to my specific niche demands, but in the Western mountains I hunt, traction on rock is far more of a performance concern than shedding mud. Thankfully, modern lug designs. do both pretty well. However, if you asked me which one I was more concerned with, I'm going to go with traction on rock every time. Do I occasionally get into soggy mud? sure. Is it more of a concern than slipping on smooth, wet rock? Never.

I think tony is seeking a combonation like I am having a hard time finding.

I'm looking for a heavy duty trail runner with a over the ball ankle support with a wide toe in a 13 or 14.
Lighter then anything crispi offers and better excuted then Merrell moab 3 or Salomon quest 4d.
It's a bigger guy problem because of the narrow ass toe box. They make the last the same as a 11 but longer.
For a 13 that is. Same last as a 11 just longer. Which causes the toe box to be narrow. Most times a wide the laces will be touching and still not tight enough but a great toe box. I want it to deal with rocks or mud / soft terrian equally but be specialized at neither.

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
What boots do you use? They probably fit my traction needs but probably not fit me right
Talk about a niche market! How many moose tags are available in the western US annually? Here in AK, moose boots predominantly look like waders xtratuff/muck/etc fancy irrigation boots. I’ve seen a lot of moose in western Wyoming while hunting elk, and always assumed the biggest challenge was actually drawing a tag, not a complete lack of mission specific footwear.

Crispi laponiia and Asolo falcon evo are close examples of what I want. Problem is the fit that asolo thinks everyone has extra narrow feet and want their boots to feel like you’re bare foot on hardwood floors. I’ve only tried on the laponia 2 but it didn’t quite fit my foot shape well enough to buy them. I just get the impression that hunters are hell bent on wanting an extremely hard stiff boot and saying screw all the other factors. We need a middle ground boot with modern materials that still protect our feet while being flexible. That falcon evo is quite impressive being about 19oz but you can still kick into rocks with it. I don’t know what size you wear but look at how few options there are for a size 12+ in normal or wide and I mean wide not wider than extra narrow.

wyosam

WKR
What boots do you use? They probably fit my traction needs but probably not fit me right

Crispi laponiia and Asolo falcon evo are close examples of what I want. Problem is the fit that asolo thinks everyone has extra narrow feet and want their boots to feel like you’re bare foot on hardwood floors. I’ve only tried on the laponia 2 but it didn’t quite fit my foot shape well enough to buy them. I just get the impression that hunters are hell bent on wanting an extremely hard stiff boot and saying screw all the other factors. We need a middle ground boot with modern materials that still protect our feet while being flexible. That falcon evo is quite impressive being about 19oz but you can still kick into rocks with it. I don’t know what size you wear but look at how few options there are for a size 12+ in normal or wide and I mean wide not wider than extra narrow.

You might be in a pickle. Big and wide I assume does present a challenge. Custom boots are a great solution, except it doesn’t sound like it’s going to be what you want. I owned a pair of boots I had made for a long time, until I finally abused them enough it was time to let them go. They were exactly what I wanted at the time, and felt amazing. Trouble is. Not sure that exists in modern materials. You can choose last stiffness etc, but what you’re describing sounds like an assembly line boot in sizes that have a limited market. Not that they shouldn’t be made, but it sounds like a tough project for someone to make money on, which is unfortunately a really big problem. You might be able to get close in a custom with a fairly light supple base leather reinforced where it matters for protection and durability.

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
How about lightweight hunting boots that are waterproof for more than one season. When the grass and brush is wet with rain, dew, or wet snow, I have a difficult time keeping my feet dry. Even with new boots and good gaiters my socks are usually damp to wet if the grass and/or brush is wet.

OP
Mojave

Mojave

WKR
Backpackers have almost all gone to wearing shoes. It’s a rare exception to see a backpacker in boots these days.

Wildland Firefighters do for sure as they are required to, but that’s an occupational requirement.
I have not seen this in Europe.

Boots that have ether come removable traction spikes or a flip over section for ice.

I don’t want full corks, I don’t want to put on and take off the slip over things that catch on sage and trip me.

Regular 3 flex 8-10 inch high with about 6-8 cork spikes.